Hello from England

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351 2v Auto
Hi all

Just touching base ::thumb::

I have just bought myself a 72' Mach 1 351 2v Auto

A good friend of mine imports a lot of early Mustangs into the UK from the States (mostly California). He knew I was half looking for something and offered me a rust free 72 Mach which has had a horrible paint job in maroon at some stage of its life :-/

I decoded the VIN and it was a factory Grabber Blue, It also looks like it also has Traction Loc ?!?

I have worked in the motor industry for over 30 years, so the plan is to get this home and give it a fresh coat of blue.

The car is still currently in Cali and will be 5-6wks before it arrives in the UK

How it sits now!

Any comments or info would be more than welcome :)

if you jack the back up and turn one tire, a track loc rear end will turn the opposite tire in the same direction- an open will turn in the opposite direction.

The front wheels are awful, but the rest of the car looks pretty good. Looks like a nice project. I's turn it into a Boss clone myself . . .

Welcome. Have you been in contact with the MOCGB? (Mustang Owners Club of Great Brittan) They can be of some help.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Grabber Blue Mach 1 - one of my favorite original colors!

Good luck in your project. Once you decide on your direction you'd like to take - original (or close to) or a modded (modified) car, it will be easier to help you.

Ray

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

The plan is to put it back close to factory spec. I have built many cars over the years, they were mainly European Fords & VWs though, so this will be a new adventure.

Will check the for LSD when it arrives with me.

It currently has the wrong front seats (modern), but I have a pair of Mach 1 seats which will be put in the car before its shipped. Im also waiting on more detailed pics, so anything that is needed can be put in the car, so I will save on the shipping cost and extra import duty.

Not quite sure on the wheels as yet, but will most likely be 15" magnum 500s but I do like the Halibrands!

Once its on its way I will order a Marti report for a more detailed breakdown of spec ::thumb::

But the real decisions will come once I can actually touch it :)

Welcome from North Carolina. I have a nephew that moved to England probably 25 years ago, sounds like he was born there now.

It looks like you need lots of front end components. The car must have had a crash in the front and they changed the bumper, hood, fenders or parts of. The bumper should be the Spoiler rubber bumper and the hood edge should be painted as the fender trim, difficult to get paint to stick to the chrome. I would suggest that you check the inner fenders and radiator support you might need them. The bumpers are like hens teeth, good luck. Like any car build you have to search out some parts. The picture is from 72 showroom brochure.

David

72Mach.jpg

Hello from Mississippi. I'll take a cheap paint job in place of rust any day! Grabber blue, white Mach 1 Sports interior, 15" Magnums, that is going to a very sharp car! Good luck with your Mach 1 and welcome aboard.

It looks like you need lots of front end components. The car must have had a crash in the front and they changed the bumper, hood, fenders or parts of. The bumper should be the Spoiler rubber bumper and the hood edge should be painted as the fender trim, difficult to get paint to stick to the chrome. I would suggest that you check the inner fenders and radiator support you might need them. The bumpers are like hens teeth, good luck.
Thanks for your input :cool:

Being a 45 y/o car chances are many things have changed over the years, but I wont be able to inspect it properly until it lands with me, but my man on the ground in California knows his stuff and would point out any obvious collision damage.

You can chemically remove chrome quite easily without damaging the base material and then paint with a sealer as I have used this method before in my shop over here :) But I did read somewhere online that the urethane bumper could be downgraded back to chrome at factory, I dont know enough about them to know if its true or not:huh:

What makes you think the hood has been changed as well? Didnt the Ram-Air models come with the vents & hood pins?

Looking at other pictures I have been sent it also looks like it was spec'd with:

Air Con (no pump but has the brackets still in place, but theres no saying its the original motor)

Sports Deck

Tacho

But again, as its sold old anything could have been swapped out, I will just have to get the marti to find out I guess :)

Hello from Mississippi. I'll take a cheap paint job in place of rust any day! Grabber blue, white Mach 1 Sports interior, 15" Magnums, that is going to a very sharp car! Good luck with your Mach 1 and welcome aboard.
Yeah, Grabber Blue is certainly one of my favorite colors for the Mach, although I initially thought that it was a factory maroon, and thought; Nope! Im painting it orange ;) But since I have learnt that it was Blue thats the color it will go back to ::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the group from Reno NV.

Back