Hello from England

The Transplanter

Hi all

Just touching base ::thumb::

I have just bought myself a 72' Mach 1 351 2v Auto

A good friend of mine imports a lot of early Mustangs into the UK from the States (mostly California). He knew I was half looking for something and offered me a rust free 72 Mach which has had a horrible paint job in maroon at some stage of its life :-/

I decoded the VIN and it was a factory Grabber Blue, It also looks like it also has Traction Loc ?!?

I have worked in the motor industry for over 30 years, so the plan is to get this home and give it a fresh coat of blue.

The car is still currently in Cali and will be 5-6wks before it arrives in the UK

mach1decode.jpg

How it sits now!

Any comments or info would be more than welcome :)

mymach1.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you jack the back up and turn one tire, a track loc rear end will turn the opposite tire in the same direction- an open will turn in the opposite direction.

The front wheels are awful, but the rest of the car looks pretty good. Looks like a nice project. I's turn it into a Boss clone myself . . .

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Welcome from Iowa. Looks like a cool project.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Welcome. Have you been in contact with the MOCGB? (Mustang Owners Club of Great Brittan) They can be of some help.

Mike

Black 1985 GT

Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1

Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's

Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390ci, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Grabber Blue Mach 1 - one of my favorite original colors!

Good luck in your project. Once you decide on your direction you'd like to take - original (or close to) or a modded (modified) car, it will be easier to help you.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Welcome from Denmark [WINKING FACE] Regards Lars DK73 😎 [THUMBS UP SIGN]

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 😎

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

The plan is to put it back close to factory spec. I have built many cars over the years, they were mainly European Fords & VWs though, so this will be a new adventure.

Will check the for LSD when it arrives with me.

It currently has the wrong front seats (modern), but I have a pair of Mach 1 seats which will be put in the car before its shipped. Im also waiting on more detailed pics, so anything that is needed can be put in the car, so I will save on the shipping cost and extra import duty.

Not quite sure on the wheels as yet, but will most likely be 15" magnum 500s but I do like the Halibrands!

Once its on its way I will order a Marti report for a more detailed breakdown of spec ::thumb::

But the real decisions will come once I can actually touch it :)

Welcome from North Carolina. I have a nephew that moved to England probably 25 years ago, sounds like he was born there now.

It looks like you need lots of front end components. The car must have had a crash in the front and they changed the bumper, hood, fenders or parts of. The bumper should be the Spoiler rubber bumper and the hood edge should be painted as the fender trim, difficult to get paint to stick to the chrome. I would suggest that you check the inner fenders and radiator support you might need them. The bumpers are like hens teeth, good luck. Like any car build you have to search out some parts. The picture is from 72 showroom brochure.

David

72Mach.thumb.jpg.10d41785d052596f40f4d07bb59a5cb8.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Hello from Mississippi. I'll take a cheap paint job in place of rust any day! Grabber blue, white Mach 1 Sports interior, 15" Magnums, that is going to a very sharp car! Good luck with your Mach 1 and welcome aboard.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

It looks like you need lots of front end components. The car must have had a crash in the front and they changed the bumper, hood, fenders or parts of. The bumper should be the Spoiler rubber bumper and the hood edge should be painted as the fender trim, difficult to get paint to stick to the chrome. I would suggest that you check the inner fenders and radiator support you might need them. The bumpers are like hens teeth, good luck.

Thanks for your input :cool:

Being a 45 y/o car chances are many things have changed over the years, but I wont be able to inspect it properly until it lands with me, but my man on the ground in California knows his stuff and would point out any obvious collision damage.

You can chemically remove chrome quite easily without damaging the base material and then paint with a sealer as I have used this method before in my shop over here :) But I did read somewhere online that the urethane bumper could be downgraded back to chrome at factory, I dont know enough about them to know if its true or not:huh:

What makes you think the hood has been changed as well? Didnt the Ram-Air models come with the vents & hood pins?

Looking at other pictures I have been sent it also looks like it was spec'd with:

Air Con (no pump but has the brackets still in place, but theres no saying its the original motor)

Sports Deck

Tacho

But again, as its sold old anything could have been swapped out, I will just have to get the marti to find out I guess :)

Hello from Mississippi. I'll take a cheap paint job in place of rust any day! Grabber blue, white Mach 1 Sports interior, 15" Magnums, that is going to a very sharp car! Good luck with your Mach 1 and welcome aboard.

Yeah, Grabber Blue is certainly one of my favorite colors for the Mach, although I initially thought that it was a factory maroon, and thought; Nope! Im painting it orange ;) But since I have learnt that it was Blue thats the color it will go back to ::thumb::

Hi from Phoenix. I imagine that is going to be a long several weeks while it is being shipped! I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night from the excitement.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Hi from Phoenix. I imagine that is going to be a long several weeks while it is being shipped! I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night from the excitement.

For sure :D

And to make matters worse, I have just ruptured my calf muscle so will be on crutches pretty much until it arrives :-/

On the bright side, a dodgy leg gives me plenty of time for online researching :bravo:

Hi Al,

How did you find that out? It's not to far from Ruislip, just up the M40, Henley on Thames. Are you down south too?

Dont worry im not a Rozzer lol lollerz

The second letter in you regno denotes where it was first registered in the UK, In your case its an "L" which is West London, and the VRO for West London back then was Victoria Road Ruislip. Back then Ruislip used to cover all of NW, W, SW Middlesex, Hilingdon, Harrow, Surrey, Hertfordshire etc.

The reason I know is, that 1. I grew up only a couple of miles away, and 2. I worked for a car manufacturer for years and my job covered New Registrations, and Imports from Italy & the Channel Isles ::thumb::

Back then the order of the 3 letters were issued in sets of 999 on V53's, so you will probably find that all 71/72 imports registered in at that office all had the "JLD" suffix