71 Finally Painted

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap! I think I just wet my self!

That car looks amazing! Please, keep those photos coming!

Thank you. The tail light panel is the stock unit with the holes filled. The lenses are Tbird/Shelby/CS and the bezels are billet aluminum. I will try to add photos with a real camera tonight.

71 door jamb.jpg

OUTSTANDING graphics, Mitch!

When are you guys supposed to have it finished? Has the customer said anything about whether or not they are going to race it? What rotating assembly are they using?

Thanks for the pictures - - looks like the shop does some really nice work!

BT

Got any "before" pics??

Before I tell the tale, a little background. Auto restoration is what I do for a living; Mustangs are our main business. Shelbys, BOSSes, Machs; we have done them all, then came this beat up, jumped the railroad tracks 71.

This started out as a Mach1 our customer bought at auction. Someone had put a 390/T10 with a 3.90 locker. The floor was hacked up around the shifter hole. The pass quarter had beed hit HARD and replaced. We went into this thinking a basic repaint, truck 460, and a 700R4. This was going to be the customer's beater car while we were building his 69 Charger.

Then it happened.

The customer wanted more power. Enter the 521. Then bigger tires in the rear. Upon looking at the rear framerails, we realized they both needed to be replaced due to collision damage. Since we were going to do a 4-link anyway, we cut in an Art Morrison back half. Turning our attention to the front, we decided upon a Fat-Man strut system. Then came the Wilwood 6 piston brakes, but not before settling on the Coddington wheels; 18X10 front, 20X12 rear. The only tires with a tall enough sidewall were the Mickey Thompson 26X12R18 and 29X15R20.

The colors of the car took me some time. The body is a Lamborghini color used on the Superformance Cobras and Daytonas we sell. They just call it Titanium. The stripes are matte black with a red pinstripe the same color as the brake calipers. The BOSS 521 name came about while I was looking at photos of side stripes. The 71 Boss is the only Boss car we haven't restored yet. What the heck, it IS a 71 after all. The hood was a pain in the ass! It is a glass 71-73 from us auto body.com. The customer didn't like the ducts, so we cut them out. The headlights are LED units, the driving lights are Hella conversion lamps in 67 Shelby housings. Taillights are LED from Mustang Project with billet aluminum housings anodized black. Lastly was the replacement of the 700R4 transmission with a TCI 6 speed paddle shift unit.

Now to put it all together........

Great story! I can't wait to see this thing finished!

Do you have any Stangs of your own?

Back