Dyno'd the new engine today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeZapU

Reaction score
My Car
12 GT
73 Mach 1
85 GT
66 F-100
This morning I went to participate with the rest of our mustang club at a dyno day they held with the Mach 1. Was $50 for three pulls. I was curious to see how the new engine stacked up to my expectations.

I was 1st in line and glad. Done quick. The car did really well. Even the operator was very impressed as he almost never sees old vintage stuff make those sort of numbers in a street tune. I was hoping for 1hp/ci at the rear wheels and I exceeded my goal with 362hp/350ft-lbs. Over 416hp at the flywheel is nothing to sneeze at. The old engine was at 287/311 so a measured 75hp/39tq gain at the wheels. The same exact dyno that was used for both sets of numbers. Just eight years apart.

Right after my car was done he strapped on a 01-02 WS-6 TransAM with a LS motor, 6-speed car with bolt-ons. Annoyingly loud exhaust car. It only managed 342rwhp. Made me feel pretty good.

The difference on the two runs was the lower one was without the air cleaner, and the second darker run was without. Only a 3hp difference. That could simply be a run-run variance. So my air cleaner mods are not causing a restriction, which is what I was concerned with. A good day.

Mach%201%20DynoFeb2016_zpskvp3ii2w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any details on the engine?
Here is the thread on the engine build.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-351c-build

A summary of power producing parts in the engine would be:

-.030" overbore Australian block. Australian 351c crank.

- Stock connecting rods with good rod bolts, beams ground and shot peened.

- Pistons are some cast flat top Australian brand that I'm not able to identify.

- 4V GA heads that I did some porting on. Machined for rocker studs and solid bronze guides.

- Ferrea Competion Plus valves, multi angle valve job, PAC beehive springs, Comp steel roller rockers, 3/8" pushrods.

- Custom SFT camshaft. Nitrited. Tool steel Comp lifters with EDM oiling holes.

- Blue Thunder intake manifold.

- Custom Pro Systems 4150 carb. Stock fuel pump.

- Stainless steel OBX headers w 1 3/4" primary tubes. 2 1/2" exhaust going through Borla Pro XS mufflers.

- Stock distributor w Pertronix Ignitor. Recurved by me. Set at 17deg initial w 37deg total timing. MSD 6A ignition box going to a Crane PS-91 coil

- Set of old aluminum Ford Motorsports underdrive pulleys.

Back