Mufflers to pair up with FPA's

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
What exhaust are you guys running? I'm getting a set of FPA headers along with an X-pipe. The rest will be 2.5" but I'm just undecided on a muffler. It currently has the factory exhaust with a set of flowmaster 40's. On my last hot rod I had spintech pro streets and they definitely sounded different but with my headers they were pretty loud and it was on a chevy 383 car so I don't know how the spintechs would sound on the mach. I'm surprised we don't have a sound clip section? Anyway, what sounds good on these cars? It's only a weekend cruiser so I don't mind it being kind of loud. I just want a awesome old school muscle car sound. Also she's a 4 speed!

What exhaust are you guys running? I'm getting a set of FPA headers along with an X-pipe. The rest will be 2.5" but I'm just undecided on a muffler. It currently has the factory exhaust with a set of flowmaster 40's. On my last hot rod I had spintech pro streets and they definitely sounded different but with my headers they were pretty loud and it was on a chevy 383 car so I don't know how the spintechs would sound on the mach. I'm surprised we don't have a sound clip section? Anyway, what sounds good on these cars? It's only a weekend cruiser so I don't mind it being kind of loud. I just want a awesome old school muscle car sound. Also she's a 4 speed!
Good idea on the sound clip section.

I am running the Pypes Street Pro mufflers with X pipe. There is a clip on this thread about half way down:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-351c-cam-choice?page=2

H pipe would make the old school muscle car sound. An x-pipe will make it sound different.

That said, I have an x-pipe and hooker aerochamber mufflers. Sounds close to the true duals and turbo mufflers that were once on it.

flowmaster series 10 single chamber are the wickedest sounding mufflers made . . your neighbors will love them.

What Barnett468 said they sound race car mean.Also there is a real difference between a traditional h pipe and x pipes in sound. For that period correct sound h pipes are the go says the bloke that put x pipes on his last 2 cars lol.

I put Magnaflow mufflers with stock style pipes on mine last spring. They have a nice muscle car sound when cruising and make some noise when I'm into the loud pedal. To me they are a great balance. I would highly recommend them. BTW, no noticeable drone at cruise speeds.

magnaflows are straight thru but are fairly quiet in the car because they are jambed full of sound deadener . the flowmaster series 10 single bake are much louder in the car.

I love the throaty sound of the flow masters nothing on the market with the grumble they make. Mine are super loud as they are two chamber and no tail pipes on the car so you can only hear it for about two blocks...lol But as my friend that i used to work at B & M Racing with just told me when i visited him in CA a few weeks ago. "I miss the sound of your mustang man".

Hey Chris, you're only about five miles away from hearing how a set of FPA headers connected to 2 1/2" stainless pipes, X-piped, and channeled through stainless Magnaflows sounds.

[video=youtube]

Hey Chris, you're only about five miles away from hearing how a set of FPA headers connected to 2 1/2" stainless pipes, X-piped, and channeled through stainless Magnaflows sounds.

[video=youtube]

Your garage door sounds sick dude!:D I'd definitely like to he her cruise. I know you have some work done to your motor so that changes things a little, but still sounds pretty sick. I think I'm leaning away from my old spintechs.

I'm late to the party here but I am running DynoMax VT's on my 71 vert. Hooker long tubes and 3" in 2.5" out. I love them so far. 547 CI BBF and no drone. Worth a try?

I'm late to the party here but I am running DynoMax VT's on my 71 vert. Hooker long tubes and 3" in 2.5" out. I love them so far. 547 CI BBF and no drone. Worth a try?
Post a sound clip!!!

Back