Good performance tire?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I want to look into a tire that would be a good choice for a street/track tire. I hear the BFG's are not great performance tires. I would like something with a higher speed rating, and a little more stickiness. Any GOOD suggestions? Something I can get at the local tire dealer?

I guess it depends on how extreme you want to go. I read a couple articles like this: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1401-the-best-200-treadwear-tires-test/ and ended up settling on the BFG sport comp2 for a summer only tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2. The article was more towards track then street, so I went with something with a little stiffer rubber. Reviews seemed pretty good and was well priced compared to some of the options, although people seem to complain about noise (I can't see them being louder than the engine and exhaust of a muscle car) and one says it wasn't that great on a track for a fully built car. There are lots of options, go to tirerack and read some reviews on the street able/track tires, Extreme performance summer and ultra high performance summer tires. It will be May before all the sand is cleared off the street and I get to test out these tires, but I can't see traction being an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

stay away from cooper tires i can tell you that much

I'm running BFG and love them so far.

I keep hearing that. Surely they can't be that bad for normal, dry-weather driving.

Need to know what size tires you're looking for. As noted, options are limited in 15" and even moreso in 14".

MT tires are owned and made by Cooper.

I'm running BFG and love them so far.
+1!

I have Cooper Discoverer CTS on my '11 Outback which were supposedly a premium touring tire. Great tires if you don't mind that 3 of 4 are out of round, flat spot like crazy overnight, wobble like a drunk sailor due to shifted belts and make all sorts of hellacious noises after only 20k miles. Cooper won't warranty "ride complaints" after the first 2/32" of tread wear. I've been around and around with the CS people there and it's like talking to a brick wall and the tire shop won't help either. So IMO - don't buy Cooper tires.

oh they are REALLY bad.

First I'm sure you have read about peoples experience with them. it seems every time some classic car spins out on the highway a cooper tire is involved.

personal experience: you don't know something is bad until you compare to something better.

I had Vipers on my car back in 2005 that came with the car. I had a blow out with these tires because they sat for so long since the late 1990s that the belts shifted and the tires fell apart. I had literally no experience with these tires maybe 200 miles and they were falling apart from the first day i tried to drive the car.

I took my car to a alignment shop and they had never seen tires so bad, on their recommendation they installed cooper tires.

ok so no big deal i have new tires lets drive the car. I noticed the car was harder to drive in maintaining control it felt squirly over 45mph. I chalked that up to not having really driven the car and other issues that took until 2009 to iron out on my car so i had these tires for 4 years at this point.

driving in the rain was BEYOND scary, almost no rear traction when wet the tires had maybe 5000 miles on them. i kept them and at the same time was doing research on a better tire.

over the years i had a couple of close calls with the coopers, loosing control on wet leaves in the fall and nearly hitting a guard rail. really Squirly handling in all conditions that resulted in me making a ton of changes and modification to the suspension thinking maybe my frame was out of wack.

i added a larger front sway, a rear addco sway(big improvement), i changed out the spring perch from oem to roller. changed from poly to oem rubber type bushings.

tried different castor and camber settings over the years as well.

6 more years on these tires went by,

then last summer 2015 i decided i really wanted some new tires the coopers were over the 5 year life of a tire i had just replaced my transmission in the car and i had installed a new high stall converter, what was happening was i was now doing burnouts all the time even when i didn't want to.

thus it was time i went to the tire place and after looking at the options the BFG was the best tire i could afford. off came the coppers and the BFGs went on.

IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY, the car felt planted for the first time, no funky handling i was doing like 95mph on the highway no problem, didn't feel like the car wanted to skid off the highway any more. no more burn out everytime i touched the peddle it was obvious the BFGs had a WAY WAY higher grip then the coopers ever had. for the first time i felt pretty safe driving the car more then ever before. when the road is damp i don't freak out any more really treating it like i was on a ice sheet with the coopers.

i can not speak for others but for me the difference was beyond a feeling this was a fully documented improvement. i cursed the day i let them put the coopers on my car in 2005.

Wow - I originally had Cooper Discoverer STTs on my Jeep (mostly worn out) and loved 'em - I just happened to like Super Swampers better. ;) :D

Also had a set of Cooper Discoverer STTs on my black '85 Nissan 4x4 - and they were great, too.

Now, I have the Cobras on my '71. So far, so good. But, I will keep eyes and ears open thanks to everybody's input. ::thumb::

The issues you spoke of regarding "flat spot like crazy overnight, wobble like a drunk sailor due to shifted belts and make all sorts of hellacious noises after only 20k miles" actually describe my Jeep's Swampers out of the box. But then again, it's an off-road vehicle and when you go with aggressive bigger tires, you soon discover they have minds of their own. I'm pretty much just along for the ride with the Jeep, and merely 'suggest' where actually go. rofl

Back