Clutch pedal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefabg123321

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code vert
1972 Q code vert 4 spd..Just back from complete engine rebuild along with headers and exhaust.

Issue is the clutch pedal seems to have about 3 to 4 inches of "play" ... Sits down about 3 inches or so from brake pedal..,,which it did not do before the rebuild. Clutch works just fine but pedal is just to close to floor. I can just reach down and it pulls right back to even position with brake pedal, but after I step on it , it stays put unless manually(or with foot) is pulled up...but it still works.

Am I missing a spring? Maybe linkage is bent? It's hard to squeeze in there to look!

One thing to look at is the condition of the z bar. The holes tend to wear as does the pin for the clutch push rod. When there is wear, the linkage does not move freely and introduces bind that can keep the pedal from returning properly.

There are 3 springs in the system, one under the dash that is an assist or overcenter spring. With centrifugal style cluthes, this spring will sometimes need to be removed.

Second is the spring from the frame to the z bar that lifts the pedal back into position. If this spring is missing, your clutch pedal will not return properly.

third is the spring from the clutch fork to the z bar. This spring primarily keeps the adjuster and the clutch fork in contact. It normally doesn't actually affect the pedal return . . . but if there is wear in the system, this spring can help keep things aligned a bit. The pushrod adjustment should be checked to make sure it is not preloading the clutch. With the clutch pedal up, the pushrod should be held against the clutch fork by the spring, not by the adjustment tension.

The z bar rides on spherical plastic bearings. These need to be greased and in good shape. If you change the bellhousing to a blowproof type, be aware that the mounting points on the new bellhousing normally aren't the same thickness and you will need to shim the engine side mount to keep the z bar perpendicular to the frame rail- otherwise bind is introduced into the system.

I would also make sure the clutch fork is properly seated on the throwout bearing.

These are all my personal experiences, so there may be more to it that someone else can add.

What clutch are you using? Can you get us a photo of the z bar linkage? If you need to remove the assist spring there is a lot of pressure on it and there is some risk in doing so if you don't do it the right way here is a thread on the subject with some insight http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-removing-the-clutch-assist-spring-safely?highlight=clutch+assist+spring

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they replace the clutch? There are often a few issues when a diaphragm style pressure plate is used vs the original Long style.

First off, good reply Jeff. My experience was that I needed to remove that BA spring from the pedal under the dash. My Centerforce 2 diaphragm clutch instructions say to remove that spring or else the pedal will not return properly. This is likely most of your problem.

Also read my posts and very good replies from Jeff and others. Sorry, but I'm pretty inept when it come to posting links, so look in Engine, drivetrain section under dates 02/05/16 and 02/11/16. I received a lot of very good suggestions on improving my clutch experience.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Geoff

Did they replace the clutch? There are often a few issues when a diaphragm style pressure plate is used vs the original Long style.
Didn't replace clutch...it was fine. I'm assuming I can just bring it back ...I did drop a lot of money on this. I'd assume the garage would take care of this at no charge?

I'm to damn old to bend down under that dash again!

Didn't replace clutch...it was fine. I'm assuming I can just bring it back ...I did drop a lot of money on this. I'd assume the garage would take care of this at no charge?

I'm to damn old to bend down under that dash again!
Last comment; I know that feeling!! I have to take the seat out to get down there.

Back