Coil Hot - Ignition Switch question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73MachOne

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hey everyone. I discovered today that my coil and resistor wire at the coil was hot while the car was sitting (ignition in Off position).

Is this due to a bad ignition switch? I'm presuming so since it seems that the switch is allowing current to flow to the coil while the car is parked. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything though.

If that is the issue then where is a good place to buy a new ignition switch? Are they easy to replace?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone. I discovered today that my coil and resistor wire at the coil was hot while the car was sitting (ignition in Off position).

Is this due to a bad ignition switch? I'm presuming so since it seems that the switch is allowing current to flow to the coil while the car is parked. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything though.

If that is the issue then where is a good place to buy a new ignition switch? Are they easy to replace?

Thanks!!
Was the key still in the ignition lock? If it was, could the lock have been accidentally moved to the RUN instead of OFF position? Just throwing out some ideas.

Chuck

I picked up a switch through advanced auto, took 24 hrs to get shipped from warehouse. Ran about 19 bucks, worked great. Hardest part was disconnecting the wiring plug under the dash after 37 years.

Marty

I appreciate all of the replies.

The key hadn't been in the ignition yet when I discovered this. Also, this car has a pertronix ignitor - I'm hoping the constant power running to the coil didn't fry it...

I'll check with Advance Auto on the replacement ignition switch. I guess I'll start with that. Thanks everyone!

Back