Need a 5 speed please!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
I think I might just go for it and upgrade my 4 speed z bar to a 5 speed hydraulic. My question is what years mustangs T5's can I use? TKO 5 speed would be fine also. Looking for used stuff for budget purposes... Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
From a guy who has rebuilt dozens of T-5's, unless you have a 302 in the car I advise against it. They just can't handle a lot of torque. A TKO Tremec is like a toploader with a 5th gear. They use the same exact brass synchronizer blocker rings and much of the same sized gears throughout.

1- Unless you were to baby the car each and every day a T-5 will not likely last long at all.

2- try and find a GOOD used one that does not need repairs. You will likely be looking at $600-$800 if you are lucky. Ones needing work go from $250-$400.

3- A T-5 can handle a lot of power but you would spend $100-$1500 in parts just to get one there.

4- Good used Tremec 3550's and TKO's don't exist. At least I have never personally come across one for sale that did not need repairs.

I wish you all the luck in your endeavor but dont start looking into the swap until you find a good transmission to start with. With tax time here and summer on the horizon, used part prices and the market will start to get crazy pretty fast. Ultimately to perform this swap wih the least amount of headaches and biggest chance of success, I would advise purchasing a brand new TKO 500. It will go the distance when installed and add value at the same time to your car.

Here are two articles I had published. I've been down this road before. Just trying to prevent you from wasting a lot of time and money.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1311-tremec-3550-five-speed-transmission-rebuild/

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1305-drivetrain-maintenance/

I used a Richmond six speed twice. One in a 70 Mustang and again in a 71. I would not use anything else. They have a slim case so there is no tunnel modification needed. You only need to notch the shifter hole a bit to the left-nothing else. Best shifting Trans I've ever used. Plus nothing beats a six speed manual tranny :)

I used a TKO once in my 71 and had issues with high rpm shifting. It would not shift easily into 3rd gear at high rpm/torque. There are plenty of others who have experienced the same thing. These were actual owners I communicated with plus there are posts on other forums concerning this. Some have had good experiences and some not.

From a guy who has rebuilt dozens of T-5's, unless you have a 302 in the car I advise against it. They just can't handle a lot of torque. A TKO Tremec is like a toploader with a 5th gear. They use the same exact brass synchronizer blocker rings and much of the same sized gears throughout.

1- Unless you were to baby the car each and every day a T-5 will not likely last long at all.

2- try and find a GOOD used one that does not need repairs. You will likely be looking at $600-$800 if you are lucky. Ones needing work go from $250-$400.

3- A T-5 can handle a lot of power but you would spend $100-$1500 in parts just to get one there.

4- Good used Tremec 3550's and TKO's don't exist. At least I have never personally come across one for sale that did not need repairs.

I wish you all the luck in your endeavor but dont start looking into the swap until you find a good transmission to start with. With tax time here and summer on the horizon, used part prices and the market will start to get crazy pretty fast. Ultimately to perform this swap wih the least amount of headaches and biggest chance of success, I would advise purchasing a brand new TKO 500. It will go the distance when installed and add value at the same time to your car.

Here are two articles I had published. I've been down this road before. Just trying to prevent you from wasting a lot of time and money.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1311-tremec-3550-five-speed-transmission-rebuild/

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1305-drivetrain-maintenance/
Buy once, cry once huh? I get it though...I guess any TKO or T56 will do correct? The difference is in the bellhousing and input shaft correct? Does any mods have to be done to the body for the trans to bolt up?

The place (encore MPW) would do $1,100 direct with them (off ebay) for the tranny and bell. If you plan to run any kind of power I highly recommend a TKO type vs T5. My cousin shredded many a t5 on a mild 5.0, he went with a TKO 500 and not an issue ever since.

10 spline clutches are cheap, forks are cheap, I woudl suggest to go with just cable...it's cheaper and easier than hydraulic. My pedal effort on the 73 is perfect for me with the cable setup.

Ok then...looks like I'm strictly looking for a 3350 TKO 5 speed trans. I'll have to think on the cable vs hydraulic aspect of it though...
Chris, I put a TKO 600, 5 speed, in my 73 last summer. I have all kinds of information that you will find useful, if you're serious about doing this swap. The 600 is good for up to 600 HP, whereas the TKO 500/500 HP. Slight modification of the tunnel support on the underside of the body. (easy) I have many pics. We'll hook up soon.

Eric

62501d1235745013-1968-tremec-600-tko-100_2160[1].jpg

62502d1235745013-1968-tremec-600-tko-100_2167[1].jpg

P7150102.jpg

P7150104.jpg

P8040136.jpg

Ok then...looks like I'm strictly looking for a 3350 TKO 5 speed trans. I'll have to think on the cable vs hydraulic aspect of it though...
Chris, I put a TKO 600, 5 speed, in my 73 last summer. I have all kinds of information that you will find useful, if you're serious about doing this swap. The 600 is good for up to 600 HP, whereas the TKO 500/500 HP. Slight modification of the tunnel support on the underside of the body. (easy) I have many pics. We'll hook up soon.

Eric
Sounds good Eric. I'm very serious about doing this swap. I just think overall the car will be much more enjoyable to drive. With regards to a 500 vs 600...I'm only going to do a mild street motor. Not looking to get much more than say 400 to the ground if that. Might look to you for some ins and outs of this install from you if that's cool?

Eric
Sounds good Eric. I'm very serious about doing this swap. I just think overall the car will be much more enjoyable to drive. With regards to a 500 vs 600...I'm only going to do a mild street motor. Not looking to get much more than say 400 to the ground if that. Might look to you for some ins and outs of this install from you if that's cool?
...just remember, 400 to the ground is 500+ @ the transmission and the TKO 500 is rated for builds UP TO 500, not more.

Those are actually the torque ratings... You already have a pedal, that was the hardest part of my swap
Yes, you're right they are torque ratings...but even so I know my Mach's torque output (598) is higher than it's HP output (572), which should make you even more cautious when selecting the TKO 500 0r 600. Torque/ HP @ the flywheel, are the relevant #'s when talking about stresses on the Transmission.

the tko 600 has good gear ratios . . the only other trans i would use is the high end astro with the reinforced cases . . they use z spec gear ratios which are also good.

have the shift rod mod done and install the carbon fiber blocker rings in 2, 3. and 4, on the 600 and it will shift quick, otherwise it more than likely will not speed shift.

Eric

Hi Eric, Are you using the cable or hydraulic clutch.

Eric

I used a new z-bar setup that I purchased from Don @ OMS. We drilled out the pivot points and reinforced them with oil impregnated brass bushings. The thought being, when these points start to wear, we'll just pop in a new bushing.

By the way, my TKO 600 shifts perfectly.

Eric

Eric

I used a new z-bar setup that I purchased from Don @ OMS. We drilled out the pivot points and reinforced them with oil impregnated brass bushings. The thought being, when these points start to wear, we'll just pop in a new bushing.

Eric
Did you do any mods to your 600 to improve shifting or is it stock? As mentioned above, i have read about the high RPM shifting issues.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Eric
Did you do any mods to your 600 to improve shifting or is it stock? As mentioned above, i have read about the high RPM shifting issues.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Ya know Tony, I read all about the mods you could do to the TKO 600 and talked to quite a few people before deciding to skip doing them. I haven't experienced any shifting issues and read that many others have had the same results. Truth be told, I rarely shift beyond the spirited 4500-5000 rpm shift anyway.(although I have a very heavy foot) I'm up and over 400 hp at that level and it's enough, for me anyway.(especially with street tires) I stroked to 408 to have the torque/power without having to rev like crazy. I don't really like going near the 6000 rpm range, even though it's built to handle it. I'm more a fan of acceleration than speed. Bad things can easily happen at WOT.

I looked into this a few months back. Spent a bunch of time on the phone with Modern Driveline he highly recommended tko the torque from the 351c just destroys t5's especially with spirited driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back