Plastic Chrome plating

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
Many of us probably are dealing with the same issue of the chrome delaminating from the plastic trim pieces over time. My dash trim was in good condition, but the chrome was starting to peel and flake off from time. When I finished the restoration of the dash I still had that darn worn out chrome looking back at me. I followed several posts on a concourse forum and came across a business in Romulus,MI. His quote was acceptable and his knowledge was very convincing. I have obtained about 4 quotes from businesses that can do this and some were pretty high. I just received my parts back from Vacuum Orna-Metal out of Romulus, MI and I can say I am very happy with the results. They were very responsive to email communications and their work was equally good. I researched them thoroughly on the internet and only heard good things about them. I can add myself to that positive list of reviews. The parts were sent just as they were removed from the dash and returned all finished and ready for reinstallation. I had purchased the repro parts and was not happy with the depth of the graining in them and the thickness of the plastic. These originals will go back in very nicely.

dash trim finished 1.jpg

dash trim finished 2.jpg

dash trim finished 3.jpg

dash trim finished 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. They only worked on the chrome, correct?
They re-plated the entire piece and then re-applied the black finish leaving the chrome bands. The process is called vacuum metalizing and you can only do the entire part with that process. It is how it was done originally. That is why the back of the part will also be chrome.

They look great. You will have to keep us up to date in case they start peeling or delaminating. Can you share the cost?
I shipped him my originals that were in good shape just loosing their chrome and he stripped, re-chromed, and repainted the black back on. His quote for my parts was $326.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear there is another reliable source for chrome plating. My dealer owner had close to a dozen different "Play toys" so we were constantly sending many different things off to be plated. Mr G was who we were using for plastic parts. But as time went on the length of time for work to be performed almost doubled and the quality of work really sucked. Calling did no good as their attitude was as bad as their work. Thought maybe it was just me, but after reading other reviews, they seem to mirror my experiences. And as all of us well know, a lot of what we pull off our vehicles is way to rare to risk being damaged by an outside source. The quality of a lot of the repo parts is still not OEM level.

So glad bkdunha was able to post such a positive experience with a vender. I still get a large amount of people asking where they can get rare original plastic parts plated. Used to tell them "No answer". Thanks for posting your positive experience and who you used.

Thanks for the bump. I remember when you got this done - still loving it, and the price is a lot better than the quote I got a few years ago (a different vendor, I'm sure).

Back