Mexican Mustangs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I was looking at pictures on the local mustang club web page and found these looks like Mexico could not read the tags. The one strip/two tone paint looks pretty sharp best non stock I have seen.

More 71-73 there than most shows here. 20th. ann beside the tutone car.

David

mex3.jpg

Mex1.jpg

mex2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at pictures on the local mustang club web page and found these looks like Mexico could not read the tags. The one strip/two tone paint looks pretty sharp best non stock I have seen.

More 71-73 there than most shows here. 20th. ann beside the tutone car.

David
Yes these are Mexican Mustangs, in the last picture you posted, there was a sign with the logo of VIPS. I looked them up and they are a service station I believe in central Mexico. Very cool!

Not what i was expecting when i saw "interesting STRIP job"

The Mustang with the Mach 1 decal on the qtr panel is the 1973 Sprint that was made in Mexico.

"Four different color schemes were available: brown and white; green and white; baby blue and white; and red and white. The urethane front bumper, roof, hood (with non-functional air scoops) top of front fenders and top of the doors are in color. The front fenders, door, quarter panels and trunk are white. A very large Mach 1 decal is positioned on the rear quarter in lieu of the flag that appears on the U.S. version, plus the front fender Mach 1 decal is dropped, replaced by the Mustang script emblem. The Mach 1 designation appears in decal form on the right-hand side of the trunk. These decals are the same color as the body.

All versions are equipped with the 351 Windsor engine and a Holley four-barrel carburetor. A very simple air filter housing, painted either blue or gold and possibly carried over from earlier models is used. This configuration features one hose connected to an anti-smog device located behind the right front fender. (In Mexico, emission control was almost nonexistent in those years.)

Transmission choices were either a four-speed manual with a Hurst shifter, or an automatic. Nearly all of these cars came with no heater, defroster, or air conditioner in an attempt to make them as sporty and affordable as possible.

The unique interior matches the exterior color scheme. The seats feature the body color in the center surrounded by white vinyl on the sides accented by color-keyed carpeting. The instrument panel includes a tachometer to the left, fuel gauge in the center, and speedometer to the right of the steering column. Oil pressure, alternator, and water temperature gauges are located at the center instrument panel facing the driver. A three-spoke Rim-blow steering wheel, console, and AM radio are standard equipment.

A plaid rubber mat is used in the trunk along with a Space Saver spare. A 1971 pop-open style gas cap adorns the rear. In keeping with the affordability aspect, hubcaps and trim rings were used rather than '73-styled slotted mag wheels"

Attached pics of a red and white color schemed one.

EDIT: Actually found a member from 2014 from Mexico owns a green one. Attaching his car here:

EDIT 2: Found a you tube video posted by cudak888 of the last color combo (brown and white) here:

image002.jpg

image006.jpg

image008.jpg

image010.jpg

la foto 41.JPG

la foto 42.JPG

la foto 43.JPG

The Mustang with the Mach 1 decal on the qtr panel is the 1973 Sprint that was made in Mexico.

"Four different color schemes were available: brown and white; green and white; baby blue and white; and red and white. The urethane front bumper, roof, hood (with non-functional air scoops) top of front fenders and top of the doors are in color. The front fenders, door, quarter panels and trunk are white. A very large Mach 1 decal is positioned on the rear quarter in lieu of the flag that appears on the U.S. version, plus the front fender Mach 1 decal is dropped, replaced by the Mustang script emblem. The Mach 1 designation appears in decal form on the right-hand side of the trunk. These decals are the same color as the body.

All versions are equipped with the 351 Windsor engine and a Holley four-barrel carburetor. A very simple air filter housing, painted either blue or gold and possibly carried over from earlier models is used. This configuration features one hose connected to an anti-smog device located behind the right front fender. (In Mexico, emission control was almost nonexistent in those years.)

Transmission choices were either a four-speed manual with a Hurst shifter, or an automatic. Nearly all of these cars came with no heater, defroster, or air conditioner in an attempt to make them as sporty and affordable as possible.

The unique interior matches the exterior color scheme. The seats feature the body color in the center surrounded by white vinyl on the sides accented by color-keyed carpeting. The instrument panel includes a tachometer to the left, fuel gauge in the center, and speedometer to the right of the steering column. Oil pressure, alternator, and water temperature gauges are located at the center instrument panel facing the driver. A three-spoke Rim-blow steering wheel, console, and AM radio are standard equipment.

A plaid rubber mat is used in the trunk along with a Space Saver spare. A 1971 pop-open style gas cap adorns the rear. In keeping with the affordability aspect, hubcaps and trim rings were used rather than '73-styled slotted mag wheels"

Attached pics of a red and white color schemed one.

EDIT: Actually found a member from 2014 from Mexico owns a green one. Attaching his car here:

EDIT 2: Found a you tube video posted by cudak888 of the last color combo (brown and white) here:

BoJo,

That is neat. No wonder the combination looked right it was right, lol. I would like to have one of those for sure.

Learned something new again. Thanks for all the info.

David

Had heard of the Mexican Shelby cars, but not the Mexican Sprint. Really like the paint scheme and the way the car was equipped. The only thing I don't like is the overly large Mach 1 decal on the qtr panel and that is something that is easily remedied if it doesn't suit your taste. Really strange to see a 351W in a 71-73 with gold valve covers like you would see in a 65 Mustang.

David...are your meds still working or do I see a trip to Mexico?!! Lol

Had heard of the Mexican Shelby cars, but not the Mexican Sprint. Really like the paint scheme and the way the car was equipped. The only thing I don't like is the overly large Mach 1 decal on the qtr panel and that is something that is easily remedied if it doesn't suit your taste. Really strange to see a 351W in a 71-73 with gold valve covers like you would see in a 65 Mustang.

David...are your meds still working or do I see a trip to Mexico?!! Lol
I am doing much better got one parts car on cl for sale now, lol. I have a 66 ranchero 289 C code 3 speed I had bought for the drive train and 5 lug wheels and clutch brake stuff. Never going to need it so some lucky person wanting to convert a 6 cylinder has all the parts in one place.

I would buy one of the Mexican cars if I had the chance I like it.

David

And no heater.

Also I read that is not possible to get the Marti report, somewhere else it is. So what is true?

Back