71-73 factory AC compressor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1266

Reaction score
Can anyone post pictures of their factory York compressor Tag. Before I purchased my 71, previous owners pulled out the factory a/c compressor and condenser. I am trying to restore the car back to original and cannot locate the part number for the compressor. I know these compressors were used in several ford models and not sure if it's the same part number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Eddyw,

71 mustang I was expecting the the part number to start with D1Z, and your photo shows D2AA for the 71 and it looks like D47H, or is that D4ZH the 73?

Most of the compressors saw across the board corporate use so there were no Mustang only part or numbers. During the 71-73 Mustang model run approximately 7 different service part numbers were used before the 65-72 catalog final issue in May 75. Some compressors may have several ID #'s, but have the same part number because of constant revisions to the compressors. I'll list some of the tag numbers (there are too many to list all) so you can have a better chance of finding the one you need. All have the 2875 number: D1AA-BA, B1A, B2A, D2AA-A1A, A1B, A2A, A2B, D3AH-A1B, A2B, B1A, D3ZH-A1A, A2A, D4AH-A1B, D4ZA-AA, D4ZH-AA. I know that's a lot of numbers, and if you find a compressor that has a different number , let me know and I can see if it crosses to a good an application for your car.

At the start or end of a production year it is possible to see parts with ID #'s from the previous or next model run on your vehicle. My 7/28/71 built 71 Mach 1 has a D2AA-A1A 1972 compressor on it from the factory.

Hope some of this has made a little sense. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the compressors saw across the board corporate use so there were no Mustang only part or numbers. During the 71-73 Mustang model run approximately 7 different service part numbers were used before the 65-72 catalog final issue in May 75. Some compressors may have several ID #'s, but have the same part number because of constant revisions to the compressors. I'll list some of the tag numbers (there are too many to list all) so you can have a better chance of finding the one you need. All have the 2875 number: D1AA-BA, B1A, B2A, D2AA-A1A, A1B, A2A, A2B, D3AH-A1B, A2B, B1A, D3ZH-A1A, A2A, D4AH-A1B, D4ZA-AA, D4ZH-AA. I know that's a lot of numbers, and if you find a compressor that has a different number , let me know and I can see if it crosses to a good an application for your car.

At the start or end of a production year it is possible to see parts with ID #'s from the previous or next model run on your vehicle. My 7/28/71 built 71 Mach 1 has a D2AA-A1A 1972 compressor on it from the factory.

Hope some of this has made a little sense. Lol
Yeah my car was at the end of the run in 73 and I found 74 pinto numbered parts in my car.

Steve,

First off, your knowledge is amazing! Only one of a thousand parts for our cars and you have that much detail...Wow! It really helped....thank you

Steve, if you are ever in the Phx area I owe you a beer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Occasionally I come up with some info that is useful. Lol If you ever find that you need help with ID or part numbers let me know and I'll certainly see if there is anything I can do to help. Everyone on this forum is great about tech and info sharing.

Good luck on your project!

Steve,

First off, your knowledge is amazing! Only one of a thousand parts for our cars and you have that much detail...Wow! It really helped....thank you

Steve, if you are ever in the Phx area I owe you a beer!
LOL My brother lives close by in Mesa. Before it became so expensive and such a PIA to fly, I used to come out there for two weeks in the summer to hang out and "Tourist". Am overdue for a visit, so when I make it out there I just may need that beer while I'm enjoying all that "Dry Heat". :)

Back