351 Cleveland 2v to 4bbl

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoweP

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code 351c, base
Maroon
Does any one have experience in switching get a factory 2v with stock heads to fit a 4bbl in their 351c? I want to switch to a 4 barrel but I know that the ports may not match up proper. Which I take manifold did you guys use? Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gathering all the parts I need to change my 2v carb to 4v right now. I have the Edelbrock performer 2750 intake. It is made for the 2v heads so ports match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is what is on my 73 but have not got to drive enough to comment on how well it works. This is going to be my summer driver. This is by far your least cost method. If you change the heads then lots of work and parts to buy.

Look around for used one on Craigslist I got one for $35.00 that had not been ported or cut up almost new. He went with 4-V heads and did not want it was just sitting in pile of parts.

I have heard lots of discussion on here about what works best. There seems to be not one answer.

The Australian 302 heads have the big valves smaller chambers and the 2-V runner size. They would be the first choice for 2-V heads running a 4-V. They fit right on the 351 you can buy off eBay.

My next one will have the 70 Closed Chamber 4-V heads but will not drive it much.

David

100_2521.JPG

100_2522.JPG

DSC_2038.JPG

I am gathering all the parts I need to change my 2v carb to 4v right now. I have the Edelbrock performer 2750 intake. It is made for the 2v heads so ports match.
BoweP: The difference between a 2V and 4V engine is the carb, intake, and heads, 2V supporting a 2bbl carb, and 4V supporting a 4bbl carb.

Putting a 4bbl carb on a 2V engine is pretty much exactly what Bdrennan is suggesting, and what I think you're asking about. I did the very same thing to mine: fitted a 4bbl carb onto a 351C-2V while keeping the stock 2V heads (although, I built a bunch of other go-fast goodies into the mix since I was starting from square 1).

The Edelbrock 2750 Performer Intake Manifold is the most common replacement allowing you to use a 4bbl carb, but there are others depending on your needs. This one allows you to use a 4bbl carb without any issues while maintaining the correct height for the factory Ram Air air cleaner to continue to function and mate properly with the plenum on the hood. If you're not concerned with keeping (or adding) factory Ram Air, some of the other intake manifolds offer different power options. As in, you might be able to get more power from some of the others, but honestly if your wanting more than about 50-60hp increase, you'd need to go with a lot more than just a carb & intake solution.

Hope this helps!

I did this exact thing on my 73. Edelbrock 2750 with the 1406 carb. If you do use an Edelbrock carb there is not a throttle bracket adapter made for our engines for use with that carb, but I was able to dremel out one of the mounting holes for the Windsor adapter and it works great.

19727466174_fe9a3a3de7_k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How very odd - I just added the 'ball' fastener that came with the carb, and snapped the factory throttle cable right onto it. Or did I do something wrong? :whistling:

Does any one have experience in switching get a factory 2v to 4v with stock heads in their 351c? I want to switch to a 4 barrel but I know that the ports may not match up proper. Which I take manifold did you guys use? Thank you :)
It will bolt right up . the port mismatch is irrelevant unless you are building a high hp engine.

you should use the soft intake gaskets . get ones the same size as the 4v ports or buy 2v gaskets and cut them to fit the 4v port.

glue them to the head with gasket cinch.

after they are glued to the head, put a thin layer of silicone around the ports on the gasket.

the glue seals the gasket and keeps it from moving . the silicone seals the gasket and allows the intake to slide over it as the bolts are tightened.

Back