Battery apron repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blmeis

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351C "Q"
4.jpgSo I had some bad rust under the battery tray and lower part of the apron. I decided to cut out the rusted area and replace with a non-rusted piece.

1.jpg

After cutting out the old rusty piece, I used it as a template to cut a new piece.

5.jpg A friend welded it in for me and we grinded down the welds then did some hand sanding.

3.jpg After hand sanding with 80 grit I needed to use a little Bondo to smooth it out. After that more sanding then I polished it a little with 320 then used an etching primer. Sprayed 3 coats and sanded again.

pic2.jpg I finished off with gloss black paint. Turned out fairly decent and pretty happy with it. If this was a show car and not a daily driver I would have just replaced the entire apron which I think may have been a whole lot easier.

Looks very good!! I had to replace my whole apron. Not horrible, but I never had the little "L" support bracket, so I hope I did a passable job!! Keep up the good work!!
Thanks!

Brian

So I had some bad rust under the battery tray and lower part of the apron. I decided to cut out the rusted area and replace with a non-rusted piece.

After cutting out the old rusty piece, I used it as a template to cut a new piece.

A friend welded it in for me and we grinded down the welds then did some hand sanding.

After hand sanding with 80 grit I needed to use a little Bondo to smooth it out. After that more sanding then I polished it a little with 320 then used an etching primer. Sprayed 3 coats and sanded again.

I finished off with gloss black paint. Turned out fairly decent and pretty happy with it. If this was a show car and not a daily driver I would have just replaced the entire apron which I think may have been a whole lot easier.
So i did replace the whole apron on same repair,but I dont know where the small plate with the welded nuts for the battery tray went or if i even had it to begin with.... Does anyone have a tip and or some pics of what to do to weld in a replacement for the two bolts that bolt from the top down on tray,,,,Thanks

Peter

Back