Luxstang paints his front bumper.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Well, the car's front bumper that is. ;)

The bumper is the original one as far I know but it has had a rough life. Some previous owner drilled holes in it for mounting high beams (Rallye style).

Those holes have been weld shut and the bumper was rechromed a few years ago.

But that chrome had again worn off in some places so that the yellowish undercoat started showing.

So I decided I'd paint it body color.

After a thorough cleaning I shot the primer.

I'll update this as I go along.

image.jpeg

Cool! Can't wait to see it back on the car with its new look! ::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::

We have yellow! :)

That stupid color just doesn't cover well.

It'll take a few more coats but I kinda like it already. :)

image.jpeg

I'm done with the yellow coats. I'm at work now and the bumper is spending the night drying in the room where the central heating is. Tomorrow I'll know whether sanding and cutting will be enough or if I need to apply a clear coat. It looks kinda dull now.

Sweet! I'm currently checking out shops to do the same thing (I lack painting talent).
So do I. I simply lower my expectations. :)

Sing out if you need any tech help ABOUT ANYTHING. Hope it all goes well for you.::thumb::

Greg.:)
Thanks Greg. I know you're the go to guy when it comes to paint. :)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the paint has been drying for 2 days near the heater, so it's time to get that bumper back on the car.

Looks pretty good, although the yellow makes it look bigger than it actually is.

(Dang, I see a sudden rise in sales for yellow rubbers here... :D )

It gives the car a slight 73 vibe...... It would probably have been better if it were a darker color but this is the color the car has and that's all I can work with.

At the same time I installed those little rubber thingies that go in between the bumper and the fenders. Those had been missing since the day I got the car.

It would have been easier though if the holes had still been there but they had been eliminated during the resto. So I had to drill new ones.......

Anyway, the bumper is back on and it works really well with the dark matte black of the grille.

I like it so far.

Only thing is I know I should have cut and polished the finish on the bumper but as it's only edges and hardly any flat surfaces I did not want to risk sanding through the new finish. I'll probably buff it eventually but it now has a little more texture than the rest of the finish. Doesn't bug that much though.

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5745.JPG

Back