10X15s on the rear?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Lots of guys are doing that. Greg (Austin Vert) might have the best example, since he's rolling a vert as well.

Make sure you get the backspacing right, otherwise they'll stick out too far like mine do. ;)

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is running 10 X 15s on the rear and 8 X 15's on the front? Thinking of doing it to my car.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

I'm running 15 x 10's on the back and 15 x 8's on the front, with 275/60 and 235/60 tyres.

They were on the car when I bought it and I've never got around to measuring the back spacing though.

Every blue moon I've had the rear tyres scrub for a brief second when my car goes over a bump in a particular way, but I've never seen any damage to the tyres or scrub marks on the body or fender lips so I'm not sure where it is touching. And the scrubbing happens so rarely too that I don't really care. I suspect that if my backspacing was different by 5mm one way in the correct direction, or my tyres were slightly less wide I wouldn't have any scrubbing at all. The fender lips haven't been altered on my car

oUDTpKh.jpg

bcE6NqZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

Eric said - Yup. Lots of guys are doing that. Greg (Austin Vert) might have the best example, since he's rolling a vert as well.

Make sure you get the backspacing right, otherwise they'll stick out too far like mine do.

Eric is spot on there with good advice. Also, check out what Mezapu did with his 10x15 Magnum 500's at the back. He went for a bigger backspace allowing the rim to sit in a lot further, but he had to do some modding to the tubs i think.

OK - In my case, i've got the '73 Mach 1 and the '73 Vert. On the Vert, i'm running 10x15 Magnums with a 5 inch backspace. I have not touched or modified my bodywork at all. However, on very rare occasions i will get a very slight small rub effect with the tire on the outer wheel arch lip if i go over a large dip in the road, and with a full tank of petrol. This does not damage or deface the wall of the tire in any way. But that said, you will need to install good quality five leaf springs as well, if you have not already, to give the rear end the support it needs to prevent any serious rubbing issues. I also run standard eye shackels as well.

On the Mach, i bought US Indy mags 9x15 with a 4.5 backspace. Five leaf springs are installed here as well. I get zero rub issues with this setup.On both cars i run Mastercraft Avenger tires 295x50/15 to go with the rims.

That's my story, and i'm very happy with both setups.See my pics below.

023.JPG

001.JPG

Greg.:)

Greg's running 5" on his 15x10 Magnums. MeZapU is running 6.5" on his. Mine are 4.25" off-the-shelf from Cragar... I just recently discovered I can order them with custom backspacing, so some new ones will be on the way soon.

Here's one of the latest threads on the topic: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-s-the-widest-tire

And here's the one where Greg originally announced his 15x10s: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-new-wheels

Hope that helps.
Thanks Eric,

It will be great to see what your new rims will be like when you get them. Do let us know later on.

Hey Brett,

Gotta love those wheels.::thumb::

Cheers John,

Yeah, the wheels kinda dresses up the old girl real nice don't they. Your white on black is my favorite color combo. Love that look.

Thanks for the information chaps. Thanks for posting the pics too, awesome looking cars!

I recon a 6.5" off set as MeZapU's looks perfect. Now I need to find some, the main UK supplier only does 15X10s with a 5" offset.

Magnum500s011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is running 10 X 15s on the rear and 8 X 15's on the front? Thinking of doing it to my car.

Thanks for any comments you may have.
That's what my future setup will be! 10 X 15 deep dish cragar ss in the rear and 8 X 15 cragar ss in the front!

Hey, thanks for your compliments Guys,

You all do me very proud. I think taking a gamble and going with the US Indy slots paid off well, as they really suit the look of the car, and make it a good looking package all 'round. Thanks again.

Hi again Mark,

Just wanted to remind you of a couple of things in relation to going with Mezapu's rims. First, to get the 6 1/2backset, you will have to order and import in custom sized rims from America. The stock backset for 10x15 Magnums are a 5 inch backset. Second, check with Mike - i'm pretty sure he had to mod his tubs to make the rim and tires fit in. Thirdly, i don't know if the depth of the front dish is of importance to you as far as looks go, but realize that with Mike's rims and his backset, you won't get the same deep front dish look as mine. His is 6 1/2 backset - mine are 5 inch backset.

That's what my future setup will be! 10 X 15 deep dish cragar ss in the rear and 8 X 15 cragar ss in the front!
It's a great look! ;) :whistling:

attachment.php

But pay close attention to the back spacing when ordering your wheels. The "standard" 15x10 Cragar S/S back spacing is 4.25". You're going to want at least 5" - I think 5.5" might be optimal, but I need to measure before I commit to that. Summit Racing has the means to order custom back spacing for Cragar S/S rims - other vendors should be able to as well.

Otherwise, you'll wind up with them sticking out "just that much too much." if you click on the link to the first thread I posted up, you'll see what I mean - there's a back-end shot of my car with the wheels sticking out "just that much too much."

Hope that helps!

I recently modified my wheel tubs to accommodate larger tires. I'm running a 325-45-17 which is a 28" tall tire with a 12.6 Section width and 11.3 Tread Width I'm using 17x10.5 rims with 6.8" backspace.

What I found was the interference point is the front inner wheelhousing. The suspension and the frame itself are not in the way.

Enlarging the inner tub is not difficult and will gain roughly an inch and a half of clearance. With the rear half of the interior out of the car you simply cut the wheel well along the inner curve about 10 inches and then cut the floor pan at the seam of the frame rail about 6 inches and then over to the front. Push the inner wheel well in so that the cut portion of the floor overlaps until the inner wheelwell is flush with the frame. Weld up that seam and insert a wedge shaped piece of metal to fill the space you created. Once everything is welded up, paint and seam seal the area from both sides and put it all back together. It will take you a full day or work-but it is really not to bad. I lost room for my seatbelt retractor reel on the passenger side-So I am changing to manual belts. With some peel and stick deadener on the inside floorboards, only I will know-well and all of you.

A great look it is, mister 4x4 your car has come a long way::thumb::
Thanks, Brutha! I still can't believe I actually just got it inspected, and will be getting plates for it sometime this week... it's almost surreal. :chin:

Thanks for the information Greg and Eric, much appreciated. Here in the UK it's illegal for the wheels to stick out past the wheel arch. So I'd have to order specially made Magnums with the bigger offset from the States.

Good info Jeff, thanks, though my welding skills are rusty, I last used a mig 25 years ago!

Back