Right rearview mirror just floppin around

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 73 coupe has the remote mirror on the left and the plain one on the right, the right one's ball and socket joint is so worn out that it just flops around and will not stay adjusted,,, any fixes for this other than replacement?

if you move the mirror all the way to the left or right it should expose some Phillips head screws that hold the mirror pivot to the mirror body, unscrew them and take the mirror assembly out and have a look at the pivot and see whats worn out. worst case you need a replacement.

if you move the mirror all the way to the left or right it should expose some Phillips head screws that hold the mirror pivot to the mirror body, unscrew them and take the mirror assembly out and have a look at the pivot and see whats worn out. worst case you need a replacement.
can you replace just the actual mirror part? hell, mine were shot too so i bought two brand new ones.

my driver side one is completely shot and the mirror was cracked, the other side is still good but i wanted two new ones new.

if you need a passenger side one i'll be willing to sell my old one thats still in great shape!!!

Yep I have taken it out and the pivot point is what is worn out, it just rolls around in there, I would need the pivot point replaced the whole mirror housing is fine as is the actual glass of the mirror. Poor thing always ends up pointing at the rear wheel,,,,

The other thing you can do is to mar the surface of the pivot so it provides friction. What I did was to take a spring-loaded center punch, and just punch the living heck out of the pivot ball, all over its surface. That solved the issue.

The other thing you can do is to mar the surface of the pivot so it provides friction. What I did was to take a spring-loaded center punch, and just punch the living heck out of the pivot ball, all over its surface. That solved the issue.
That sounds like a good idea, can't hurt to try anyway.

has anyone found any other solutions to this? I am having the same problem. The frame for the mirror looks great, but the pivot is too loose. I am going to try the super glue Idea, but was looking for something I can use to be able to adjust it after as well.

going to have to try some of these fixes. My passenger mirror is always facing the sky.

My 73 coupe has the remote mirror on the left and the plain one on the right, the right one's ball and socket joint is so worn out that it just flops around and will not stay adjusted,,, any fixes for this other than replacement?
I have the same identical problem. A very tight suspension, shook everything loose but seems that there is a couple screws inside behind the mirror that I need to get into that might just tighten that down. Just won't use it anymore. With a convertible, won't use it anyways, just an ornament. After market, such a small mirror in the sports unit anyways and then also, cheap mirror, for some reason even never used, the finish on the glass, is all scratched up.

I have the exact opposite problem, mine are just about immovable.......

Back