is this a BOSS 351?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, peeling off the Mach 1 emblems and replacing them with Boss 351 decals wouldn't be too tough. Changing out that 351C-2V (if that's what it really is) could be a trick.

I think it looks like the seller (restorer) doesn't (didn't) know what this car really is. Probably had a blown engine and it got repainted incorrectly.

IF... and that's a Big If... the restorer didn't take a door & dash plate from a Boss 351 and slap 'em on an H-Code car. One would want to pull the fenders up to check the stampings on the shock towers. If those match the dash pad and door sticker, then it's legit. If not...

Good luck.

Motor is not correct, I would check the fender stamping to ensure that the VIN plate has not been replaced on this car. If the body stamping matches the VIN then it might be a good find. I would then want to check the VIN on the motor. It could be that the owner doesn't know what he has and could be a good buy if it proves to be a BOSS body. I would look at it if I was looking for a BOSS, you never know. It would take a few $$$ to get it back to the real thing and most likely not be a numbers matching car. Decals are wrong but that can be corrected easily enough. What are they asking for it?.

EDIT: Eric and I are in agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you John, she asking $35K but I told her thats too much

Motor is not correct, I would check the fender stamping to ensure that the VIN plate has not been replaced on this car. If the body stamping matches the VIN then it might be a good find. I would then want to check the VIN on the motor. It could be that the owner doesn't know what he has and could be a good buy if it proves to be a BOSS body. I would look at it if I was looking for a BOSS, you never know. It would take a few $$$ to get it back to the real thing and most likely not be a numbers matching car. Decals are wrong but that can be corrected easily enough. What are they asking for it?.

Thank you John, she asking $35K but I told her thats too much

Yeah, I agree with you.

Hey if you buy it for $35,000 put about $40,000 in a restore back to Boss you can then sell it for about $35,000 since it is not numbers matching. Sad but that is how these go I have checked on too many of them.

there was the one 1971 Boss 302 car that got the Boss 302 pulled and replaced with a 351 H code. I would for sure look on the block at the VIN# there and if it matches something is up with how Ford built it. Strange things happen.

David

Whoever repainted the car definitely missed the boat by going with the Mach 1 decals. The hockey stripes are correct, but the rockers are not painted, and they forgot to do the TuTone hood treatment (Mach 1 OR Boss 351), since it's a Ram Air car with hood locks.

This is one of those "might be too good to be true" kinda deals. I sure hope a quick check of the shock tower stampings will be possible to answer the questions.

Remember though: the shock tower stampings won't have the engine code ("R" in this case), since the chassis were typically produced/stamped before the decision of the engine code was made by the order placed. As long as everything else matches up, it's legit. Man, I hope that's the case. The car could've easily become just another sportsroof, rather than a Boss 351... but not an H-Code Mach 1, though. ;)

It would be interesting to hear more of the car's story.

I see AC vents in the center section of the dashboard but it appears that the control panel below has no AC functions. I don't think any Boss car came with AC. I don't see any other evidence of AC so maybe they just replaced that center dash section for some reason.

I see AC vents in the center section of the dashboard but it appears that the control panel below has no AC functions. I don't think any Boss car came with AC. I don't see any other evidence of AC so maybe they just replaced that center dash section for some reason.
:goodpost:

Good eye! ::thumb::

The plot thickens. Now I just gotta know what the shock towers have to say. :chin:

More than likely, the door was replaced and was taken from a Boss1. No?

Under the coil that that so nicely mounted on the shock tower should be the holes drilled for the rev limiter.

Should have staggered rear shocks and the big front sway bar - easy to see.

Could be real - but not valuable. There was a real 67 Shelby that sold in St. Louis for very little because the owner and his son "restored" it by replacing all the worn original parts with cheap knockoffs. They threw the originals away of course. It looked like a cheap kit car when they got done with it.

Paul of MO

Back