Switching to traction lok on my 73, 9 code 351-4V question

I hope I'm not duplicating this thread. Saw a couple close thread, but none exactly asking the same question. So I guess I ask. :D

I have a 1973 9 code 3.25:1 which is open, and I was wondering if it would simply be a switch to a Ford Racing Differential Trac-Lok Limited Slip 28-Spline 9" unit to add traction lok?

And if it is just the instalation of this part http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-differential-trac-lok-limited-slip-28-spline-9/p/M4204F28A/ what else is needed to be done?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

David

You'll need the installation kit (showed it on the right hand side as suggested too!) Also, it is not just drop in and go, there are procedures you need to go through to have proper gear lash and setting pinion depth as well as torque. A few tools you'll need are an inch pound torque wrench (for the pinion torque) and to get there you have to really torque down the nut. I used a breaker bar and cheater pipe, it needed to be tightened to around 200ft lbs so that when you use the inch torque wrench it has a certain amount of "friction" to it

• Like 1

You'll need the installation kit (showed it on the right hand side as suggested too!) Also, it is not just drop in and go, there are procedures you need to go through to have proper gear lash and setting pinion depth as well as torque. A few tools you'll need are an inch pound torque wrench (for the pinion torque) and to get there you have to really torque down the nut. I used a breaker bar and cheater pipe, it needed to be tightened to around 200ft lbs so that when you use the inch torque wrench it has a certain amount of "friction" to it

I would have a qualified mechanic do the instalation, :D So I would also need this? http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-differential-trac-lok-limited-slip-28-spline-9/p/RPM3K/

Is there there another route to go, or is this the best way for me to get Traction lok on my vert?

Thanks for your help

David

I would replace the ring and pinion gear if I were to dothis conversion. Even though they may be good right now, when you set up the patern on a used gear you risk excessive wear.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!