My introduction 72 convertible rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72ConvertibleBuild

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Hello everyone. My name is Jim and I'm rebuilding a very rusty 1973 convertible my wife bought in High school thirty years ago. I'm doing it with my fifteen year old daughter so she can drive it senior year. We are going to make it look like a 72 with the chrome bumpers.

To make the chrome bumper look right you'll need 71-2 fenders, the 71-72 fender trim, the bumper (of course) the bumper mounts which are reproduced, the fender fillers, the proper grill, the lower valance, the lower turn signal parking lights and the one part that is not reproduced-the plate that fits between the bumper mounts and the bumper. This part can be found used on occasion. I believe you could make a substitute (I actually made a cardboard pattern off of one) but it would not be original and therefore the crashworthiness would be unknown.

I encourage you to price all the necessary parts as this conversion is not cheap to do right.

It is possible to fit one without the fender change, but it will have to be mounted about an inch and a half lower than the normal position and will look a bit off to the trained eye.

Thanks for info on bumper conversion. Car needed fenders and valance anyway, so I bought 71-72 style, plus the brackets, bumper and filler panel. Will have to research the plate. If the photo works you will see I'm in deep already.

2aikffc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though the photo's not showing up for me here at work... you're not in as far as you think. Just trust me on that. ;) (I think I'm pretty close to having had the worst-off rusty pile as a starting point - Top-3 for sure, if not :shootself: )

Welcome from West Texas!

Welcome Jim from TEXAS! Good luck on your build and be sure to keep us updated on progress!

Brian

Back