My UK Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351 2v Auto
Hi all

Just thought I would share by doing a build thread on my newly purchased 72' Mach 1 (built August 71)

I have just purchased this from a dealer in California (who sells to a good friend of mine on a regular basis). Its a blue and gold plate car and I have been told that it is completely rust free and still has visible spot welds along the seams, rockers etc. its a 351 2v, originally in Grabber Blue with white interior.

All I know about the car at the moment is what I am told by the dealer and the pictures that I have below, so heres what I know so far:

• Its been sitting for a while but starts from a gas can and selects all gears
  • It has been painted badly in that past in a maroon colour
  • It has the wrong front seats, but I have sourced some Mach 1 seats that will be in it when its shipped (although odd colours)
  • The headliner, bows & retainers are missing (priority to find)
  • It has the wrong front bumper, hood & fender trim
  • It was factory fitted with a 3.25 Trac Lok & FMX
  • In the pictures it has the mounting for A/C but not sure if it was factory fitted or whether its had a motor swap at some point in its life
  • Has a Tacho! (I understand this was an option?)
  • Has a B&M Auto Shifter

As you can imagine I am sitting here with anticipation like a child waiting for it to arrive in the UK :D

I have worked in the motor industry for over 30 years and have restored & modified many many cars and trucks over the years, I know what im doing with both mechanical and bodywork, so I would like to think that its in good hands :) I just need to get up to speed with my Mustang knowledge as this is only the 3rd but most interesting American Car that I have owned ::thumb::

The plan is to take it back to Grabber Blue with Black Decals, Black Interior and add front and rear spoilers, and get rid of the Centrelines, but that could all change as things progress :whistling:

I will get a Marti report soon just to see what it left the factory with, but that probably wont have any bearing on the rebuild

Here are some pics of the car, if there is anything else you can notice about the cars spec or missing parts please let us know :thankyouyellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Cant wait to see your progress.

Excellent decision on the Grabber blue (I am biased of course)

I think the black exterior accents make the car look more aggressive as opposed to the silver that I have.

car2.jpg

car.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd keep the ram air hood, even if it's none original, it looks great. And would look mean with a front splitter and 15x8 Magnums or Craggars.
You read my mind ::thumb::

I did read somewhere that the NASA hood was std on the 71 model Mach 1's and then became an option ::shrug:: Im still learning so would like to know. Would the Marti report show this?

Welcome. Cant wait to see your progress.

Excellent decision on the Grabber blue (I am biased of course)

I think the black exterior accents make the car look more aggressive as opposed to the silver that I have.
Thats lovely ::thumb::

But dont make the choice any harder than it is lol ;) I like the Argent Silver, but yes the black does look more angry!

Argent silver is a great colour. A member of MOCGB called Si from Surrey has just restored his 72 Mach 1 and it's the same colour as yours. He's spent 4 figures restoring it too but it's got to be one of the best in the UK now.

IMG_2991_zpsvby3k2fh.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsnzcegekc.jpg

Looks a beauty

He must be fairly close to me, do you know if the MOCGB will be represented @ Wheels Day next month?

From what I understand MOCGB isn't represented there. But we have a monthly Mustang meet near Reading, and a friendly bunch:
Thats good to know, im only in Farnham, Surrey (just up the road from wheels day).

The Chelsea Cruise is also picking up momentum again, particularly through the summer months :)

Back