What would you do to your mustang if you had unlimited $$$

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT91106

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 with 351c 4V B&M Full Race C6 9" rear End with 4:11 gears have had this car since I was 16 and am 43 now (1st car).
Just saw this on YouTube and thought what would you do if you had the unlimited funds available to do whatever you wanted?

Not quite unlimited funds, but a barrel full of cash none the less, my work in progress...

convertible56.jpg

Not quite unlimited funds, but a barrel full of cash none the less, my work in progress...
Yeah but well worth it was just looking at all of the progress and will be beautiful when completed for sure.

I would upgrade the suspension, including rear coil but leave it solid axle. Rack and pinion steering. Custom wheels/tires. disc brakes

I would stroke the cleveland but keep the tripower. It would spend some time on the dyno getting set up right, trying a few different cams and valve train choices.

Clean up the fender and firewall in the engine bay. Smooth it out, fill the unnecessary holes.

I would turn it over to a body shop that could line up the panels tight. Perhaps filling some of the body lines like the two lines above the trunk and the fender caps so that it is smooth. Maybe the side lights as well or perhaps remove them.

bring the rear bumper closer

Killer paint job. CLose to a factory color, probably the same blue I have now.. it has grown on me.

Redo the interior but keep it stock looking. Perhaps an upgrade to the front seats but nothing too crazy. I might custom the seats uppholstry a bit but nothing too crazy, something tasteful.

I am not sure what I would do with the tranny. I like the c6/GV but a 5 speed would be fun.

I would make sure that i would turn that sucker into the best 123 Mustang that was ever built. The finished product would be God Damn freakin' arwsome brother!!::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::::thumb:::wavemulticolor::wavemulticolor::wavemulticolor::wavemulticolor::wavemulticolor::wavemulticolor::wavemulticolor::wavemulticolor:

GREG.::thumb::

I'd leave it as is and buy a few cool Mopars. And a few Torinos.

Ok, now you can ban me from the forum. :)

Man this would be fun!!! Generally with mine I would keep the body stock with perfect paint, gaps, lines ect.... but factory stock. I love the looks of our cars.

The interior would be bone stock also with the exception of a small roll cage tucked up high and tight and a hidden sound system, but I still want the stock radio in place.... just looks cool. Good A/C.

Under the hood I would cram the biggest 500+C.I. fuel injected Boss Nine motor I could in there with a 6 speed manual. Because how cool are the boss nine motors???

The suspension and steering would be the best money could buy and custom everything...... Stock awesome up top and crazy underneath!!! That would be how I would do my car!

I would hire my friend Clay Parham to do my personal work. Never seen anyone better anywhere. He has done several mustangs and did not hold himself to one make or model 1950's to Vipers, GM, Ford, Chrysler. He did a 66 GTO that won the Pontiac Nationals the first time out with only two deductions, incorrect battery and non lacquer paint and that was the owners choice.

When he painted a car it is not like most shops. He would get the body fit and finished and blocked down. He would then spray another coat of primer and let the car sit for 6 months. This would allow all the layers of epoxy, sealer, primer and any filler to shrink completely. Then when it was time to paint he would sand again and then apply the top coats. I have looked at black cars he has done and after 15 years still laser straight no little waves like you get when you just do the work and paint it with no shrink time. Each product you apply has different shrink percentage. I would like to see some of the cars they do on TV after a couple of years would look like the ocean with all the skim coating they do and then paint is a few days.

When he built the engine it did not go into the car to run in. He had engine stand that he would break in the engine on so no leaks in the car and engine went in one time and it was right. Not like the monkeys on TV when their engines never fire and always something wrong and it is in the car with antifreeze and oil everywhere.

He retired at 46 and only does paint for a high end shop doing several million dollar cars locally.

David

Lol 302-2V with 2.75:1 open rear and a fmx, no sway bars, 14" rims....

there is the problem with most originals. Years ago i remember hearing the all original truck story. maybe Jay leno told it.

Goes along of the lines of Guy wanted an all original 1940 truck, bought a project truck that he wanted that matched his search criteria as in the original paint was a color he liked, spent 100K to make it a trailer queen original. day comes truck is complete goes for a drive. 2 speed trans Spooled Rear original interior, suspension etc. he sold it asap for a loss.

my car originally had a vermilion interior... no thanks i don't want to barf each time i get in lol.

A complete restoration from the ground up to make it exactly like it was when first delivered, AM 8 track included.
Now we are talking ::thumb::

Man this would be fun!!! Generally with mine I would keep the body stock with perfect paint, gaps, lines ect.... but factory stock. I love the looks of our cars.

The interior would be bone stock also with the exception of a small roll cage tucked up high and tight and a hidden sound system, but I still want the stock radio in place.... just looks cool. Good A/C.

Under the hood I would cram the biggest 500+C.I. fuel injected Boss Nine motor I could in there with a 6 speed manual. Because how cool are the boss nine motors???

The suspension and steering would be the best money could buy and custom everything...... Stock awesome up top and crazy underneath!!! That would be how I would do my car!
Yeah boy resto mod all the way looks old but underneath all new.

I'd tear mine apart and redo everything I did with NOS parts. No, scratch that - I'd tear it all apart, have Q undo/redo whatever he thought was needed before throwing down one of his mile-deep correct Light Pewter & Black paint jobs, then start in again with the period-correct restomod treatment.

I'd go with a few slightly different choices than what I already went with:

• 4R70W rather than AOD
  • TMI Pro-Series seats (front) rather than TMI Sport Seat (front) covers & foam
  • Edelbrock Performer heads rather than stock 351C-2V heads with mild port & polish
  • Flaming River tilt column rather than rebuild 2 broken stock tilt columns into 1
  • March serpentine belt set-up rather than stock V-belts & pulleys
  • TCP suspension/steering system rather than new stock replacement parts

Then, I'd go find me a '71 vert and do the exact same things I've done to my Mach 1 (including the list above), except paint it the same Deep Cherry Red Pearl that's on my 2012 Ram, with black hockey stripes & spoilers, and 18" KMC Novas with some fat, sticky low-profile performance tires... or maybe some polished Centerline Champ 500s (w/spinners, of course) & BFGs in the same sizes as currently on my Mach 1.

Then I'd take some of that unlimited money and wave it under the noses of some of the repop manufacturers and get them to start making more repop parts for our model years.

Something else I might consider: getting a set of rims custom-made that look like sport wheels covers. Not sure what sizes I'd go, but definitely 15x8s & 15x10s to start with - since we're talking "unlimited funding," of course. ;) ::thumb::

Back