Is this normal?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
H Code 351C
What is this black stuff in my fuel filter? First time I have had a clear filter so I am not sure if this is normal or not.

New fuel lines.

Filter is new, came with Carb

Car has new fuel lines from tank and has never had issues.

00724e440142dfd6a744483148e938cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be residue from the fuel tank, some of the E fuels eating away. It's obviously not good, how old is the tank? Is it worth replacement?

What is this black stuff in my fuel filter? First time I have had a clear filter so I am not sure if this is normal or not.

New fuel lines.

Filter is new, came with Carb

Car has new fuel lines from tank and has never had issues.

00724e440142dfd6a744483148e938cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had worse than this in my pre fuel pump filter and the tank appeared new, from the outside.

Turns out there was a lot of rust on the inside of the tank as well as the basket filter on the fuel pickup having a tear in it so all of the crap was getting sucked in.

It may be a good idea for you to change the tank and sending unit.

This filter is in line to the carb? That means all this stuff is getting into the fuel pump also.

You may want to add a filter between the tank and fuel pump to prevent anything getting through.

First maybe change this filter to verify that it isnt some residual stuff in the lines, then do the tank / sending unit.

OK, first off and this is just MY thoughts, the primary fuel filter (metal) should be placed in the fuel line as it exits the apron and before the pump. I would NEVER use a plastic or glass filter anywhere near where it could cause a fire, ever! It's nice to be able to see the crud, but......

The crud could also be from the old non-ethanol proof rubber lines that are breaking down with ethanol use.

In Ontario, we are still fortunate to be able to buy Shell 91 without ethanol, however I can buy 94 octane, but it has 10% ethanol. Used to be Sunoco, but when Petro-Can took it over they screwed it up by adding ethanol. I would prefer to run the 94. My new Holley carb is rated for up to 15% ethanol, so I would be replacing my tank and lines before running that fuel. I would also run a product like 'Phase Guard 4' that stabilizes ethanol fuels and helps prevent rust in tanks.

I know that when my car lived in the States before I bought it, it was run on ethanol fuel and one of the first items I had to change was the filter, could hardly blow air through it. I have changed it several time since. They're cheap, why not replace it once a year!

Anyway, hope you sort it out soon, good luck.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run it a little longer and keep an eye on it. If you still getting particles maybe it is a permanent issue. Sometime gas is dirty or sometimes is a little bit of residue. You can also test those particle to see if they are magnetic. If they are attracted to a magnet then it is likely rust.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Thank God for fuel filters then! They are doing the job correctly. If I am correct and new tank is not all that much money. May be worth flushing lines and just replacing the damn tank if its that crappy.

It looks like black bits to me. I'd think that the fuel is eating at the rubber. The E fuels do that.
Thats what I thought when I saw it. I usually have a habit of taking carb cleaner and flushing out the pieces of rubber lines I use on the fuel system. They aren't food grade lines and probably not super clean factories the lines are made in.

It looks like black bits to me. I'd think that the fuel is eating at the rubber. The E fuels do that.
That's what I said!! Ethanol kills everything. Too bad we've been conned into believing it's a good thing. Only good for upping the oil companies profits.

I had small black particles in my model a with an aluminum fuel tank at one time. It seems that the 3/8" fuel hose from the hard line to the fuel pump was breaking down and sending the particles into the filter and some were actually getting through into my fuel bowl and needle & seats, ugh !!!

Back