Molasses tank results on Magnum 500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I keep something in the molasses tank at all times. I was in the barn and found a Magnum 500 rim that was looking bad. Lots of rust inside the rim and on the back and surface rust on the chrome. I dropped it into the molasses a couple weeks ago and pulled out yesterday and washed off. The pictures are before and after. If you have anything with chrome on it and has rust the molasses is the way to go. It makes the convertible inside headers look much better without plating. I will probably wire brush the rubber off the sealing bead, spray some clear on the back of the wheel and something inside and just keep the face waxed. It is amazing the difference and all you do is put the parts in and wait a couple weeks. Hard to believe it is the same wheel. I just washed with a brush and water. I will do a set for the 72 Q vert and yes I know they were not stock with 14" but they did not cost me anything since they were rusty.

You use feed grade molasses that you get at cattle feed store for about $18.00 for five gallons mix 9 parts water so you get 50 gallons from the 5. I use a Brut trash can for now will go much bigger later to do fenders and such. Beats the heck out of blasting or scrubbing. There is always something in there getting cleaned. You so have to protect afterwards because is is perfectly clean. It will not remove paint, chrome, or grease or oil. It will not work if greasy or oily. You can cleans those bolts up before you get them plated again.

David

Amazing results! So when you are done with the mix can you use it to make a batch of rum? You are in the Carolinas so I thought I should ask.;) Chuck

Iron fortified rum at that!

Great results, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to do a whole car at once?
If you look on the net people do have tanks that big I think mainly in Australia.

I am going to get one of the big pallet type chemical containers and should be able to do fenders, doors and such.

David

How long does it last? The molasses.. does it go rancid and a time period?

How long does it last? The molasses.. does it go rancid and a time period?
I have been using the same batch for several months. It does get mold on it but I just skim off with a colander and toss it. It works great on cylinder heads and blocks to clean the rust out of the water jacket. It sets outside I have been waiting for a bear to show up. I did some old cast iron pots with the wheel. When you do want to dump it just pour out and hose down organic. It works slow as molasses but you don't have to do anything just put it in and wash it off. Two weeks usually does it unless horribly rusty then hose off and hit with a brush and put back in.

David

That is crazy cool! Thanks for sharing.

What is your mix? How much molasses to water?

Some tank ideas -

5148.jpg

imagesG6ITHL32.jpg

$_3.jpg

01515_6aaGMeFgPOB_600x450.jpg

The last one (Rubbermaid 100 gallon stock tank) can be found on CL sometimes for under 50 bucks.

Ray

Good stuff! I will see if I can find any over here to give it a go.

Over here in the UK I have been using "citric acid" which im sure is available in the US.

I put about 5 gallons or water in a garden trug, and then just mix in some acid, I dont measure but I guess its about 3 table spoons full. I normally leave it in 24-48hrs depending on the level of rust

These were some prototype shackles that I made and fitted to a van in their raw steel form, and this is what they looked like after a few months of varying weather and salted roads

After a 48hr bath. They are a bit stained as I didnt wash the residue off of them with soapy water before they dried

This is what they look like if you wash them in soapy water straight after dipping

Top shackle is dipped & washed, bottom was before dipping with light corrosion

I have also been recommended Oxalic Acid, so I bought some to try out, its more expensive than the citric acid, but im hoping the consentraion will be less to compensate the extra cost.

I like the citric acid as its non corrosive, odour free, safe around pets and most importantly its cheap :)

That is crazy cool! Thanks for sharing.

What is your mix? How much molasses to water?

Some tank ideas -

The last one (Rubbermaid 100 gallon stock tank) can be found on CL sometimes for under 50 bucks.

Ray
You mix 9 parts water to on part molasses. So for a 5 gallon container of molasses you add 45 gallons of water. You need to stir with like a canoe paddle I actually used some hot water to get it to dissolve good. I am sure it is a mild acid in the molasses that does the job. When they Pickle hot rolled steel at the mill it is a big long line and I believe it was sulfuric acid to pickle the hot rolled scale off. I ask what they did with all the hazardous waste and they told me they sold it to sewage treatment plants and didn't have a problem with disposal.

This just seems safer to me and it is cheap and works.

David

Back