New wheels, please help me decide

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What color should I powder coat?

• All flat black?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Gloss black lip with matte black face?

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Keep the polished lip, center cap and lugs and matte black the rest?

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters

madurodave

Reaction score
My Car
73 Coupe
Ok...we (my 15 year old son and future owner of this 73 coupe) have finally narrowed down our wheel selection to these 18x8 Rumblers

http://www.billetwheel.com/rumblerpricing.html

We need help deciding on the following.... Keep in mind they will be mounted on a charcoal gray car with two black racing stripes.

Should we powder coat all flat black (zach's preference)?

Or maybe a gloss black lip with matte black face?

Or (my favorite choice), keep the polished lip, center cap and lugs and the rest matte black?

decisions decisions........

thanks in advance for your input!

Dave and Zach

Hi,

I vote for (flat) black spokes with chromed lip and bright lug nuts and center cap. The rims will look much wider that way as you put accent on the lip.

Or keep it chrome as it would go well with a charcoal gray car.

Just don´t powder coat all flat black! (Please please don´t!) I would ruin such a beautiful wheel.

I like chrome too, but from the poll, I selected the polished lip so at least you have some chrome down there. Murdered out wheels sometimes look too dark on a dark colored car. You need some kind of accent to attract attention to the rims. (After all, you spent all that money on them...don't you want them to be noticed? LOL) In the end, it is you and Zach's choice...do what you like the best!

Hi,

I vote for (flat) black spokes with chromed lip and bright lug nuts and center cap. The rims will look much wider that way as you put accent on the lip.

Or keep it chrome as it would go well with a charcoal gray car.

Just don´t powder coat all flat black! (Please please don´t!) I would ruin such a beautiful wheel.
I have to agree with luxstang...there needs to be some bright accents. Otherwise, might as well just get a steel rim and powdercoat it!

Thanks so much guys. After thinking about it i like the idea of keeping the notches in the center of the spokes chrome too, along with the lip, center cap and lugs. Smeone told me of i shot blast the centers of the spoke as i mention, it will be a cool gray color but i dont like that idea too much. Also, i didnt pay retail for these wheels. I low balled a seller and picked them up for 750.00! They have never been mounted and still in plastic.

Will post pics soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
love the decision we made.....check it out.

249925_10150216589683601_570653600_7272524_6407920_n.jpg
I

248948_10150216589368601_570653600_7272517_39769_n.jpg

OK - so which wheels are those, anyway? I'm asking because they're not the Boyd's Legacy Rumblers you linked to a the top of the thread. Don't get me wrong - I like the ones you went with. I'm just curious which wheels those actually are.

More important, can I have you negotiate on my behalf when it's time for wheels on mine? I suck at haggling. :D

OK - so which wheels are those, anyway? I'm asking because they're not the Boyd's Legacy Rumblers you linked to a the top of the thread. Don't get me wrong - I like the ones you went with. I'm just curious which wheels those actually are.

More important, can I have you negotiate on my behalf when it's time for wheels on mine? I suck at haggling. :D
lol well, i am a sales guy so I know how it's done. They are the Evolution (custom) and not in production any longer. here is a link.

http://www.carid.com/boyd-coddington-wheels/evolution-117278.html

BOYD%20CODDINGTON%20TRADITIONNAL%20EVOLUTION%20POLI.jpg

Back