Electrial

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabertooth

Reaction score
My Car
Rust bucket project worked on by a 16 year old
Ok i am new here im 16 years old and got this 71 mustang convertible to work on and well the electrial is a mess i have little knowledge about the electrical here is the pic IMG_5957.JPG help is greatly appreciated thanks

image.jpeg

Reach out to Midlife here on the site. He restores the harnesses and will be one of the best sources for this.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Howdy!

My website is http://midlife66.com/harnesses

I visit this site 3-4 times a day, so if you have specific questions, I'll try and answer them.

Anytime I see store-bought butt splices, wire nuts, and wires just dangling loose, I cringe.

Hey welcome from Phoenix! Do you have a basic understand of how a car electrical system works? For example that it uses DC and the body is used as a 'ground'?
Thanks. I know fragments of how it works

It might help if you number each connection and show a picture of the type of connection we might be able to tell you where some of them go. Right now when I try to look at the picture all I see is a clump of wires.

Welcome and good luck with your project. If you don't have an electrical meter you are handicapping yourself. An adequate one can be bought for under 10 bucks. Better ones will last longer, be more accurate and have better functionality and still generally can be bought for under 40-50 bucks.

Are there any members in the New Jersey area that could help this youngster out a bit?

thanks all i talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he told me everything i need to fix it ill post progress pics soon thanks

Okay so im in the middle of redoing the electrical system and i have no idea where this gose

image.jpeg

Okay so im in the middle of redoing the electrical system and i have no idea where this gose
It looks like a circuit breaker to me. If it is, it connects to the + battery side of the starter solenoid.

Chuck

It looks like a circuit breaker to me. If it is, it connects to the + battery side of the starter solenoid.

Chuck

Chuck
Does this look correct to anyone im only getting the oil and belt light on

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck

Chuck
Can you tell me what year your car is? I am attaching a picture of my wiring but don't try to copy it as I have modified it and there are parts of it that don't apply to you. I circled this circuit breaker in red to show you how its mounted on the fender well but it uses an isolation part that was discussed on another thread a few days ago. If you mount it directly to the fender you will create a short and burn up the wiring.

First thing I would do is disconnect the battery. Then can you take some pictures of the area that you are working on so I can get a better idea of how everything is hooked up. Knowing what year your car is will allow me to use the proper wiring diagram to help you try to figure this all out. It might take some time but I am willing to try to help you get this figured out.

EDIT: I found a picture of the part that this circuit breaker connects to, try to see if you see that on a loose wire or fender well by the solenoid. I am attaching a picture.

IMG_2563.JPG

electrical part.jpg

Chuck

Chuck
Can you tell me what year your car is? I am attaching a picture of my wiring but don't try to copy it as I have modified it and there are parts of it that don't apply to you. I circled this circuit breaker in red to show you how its mounted on the fender well but it uses an isolation part that was discussed on another thread a few days ago. If you mount it directly to the fender you will create a short and burn up the wiring.

First thing I would do is disconnect the battery. Then can you take some pictures of the area that you are working on so I can get a better idea of how everything is hooked up. Knowing what year your car is will allow me to use the proper wiring diagram to help you try to figure this all out. It might take some time but I am willing to try to help you get this figured out.

EDIT: I found a picture of the part that this circuit breaker connects to, try to see if you see that on a loose wire or fender well by the solenoid. I am attaching a picture.
it is a 1971

Thx, If you can remove the battery and take some pics of the wiring as it is now and any unconnected ones around the area I might be able to see where the issues may be. When you mentioned that the oil light worked did the car start and the light go out?

Does your car have power windows as well as a power top?

Now you must endure my welcome to the group old man post:

Today's small business owners can not find anyone willing or able to put in a fair days work for a fair days wages let alone even show up to work on time.

Find a locally owned auto body shop and go introduce yourself. Tell them that you will show up on time, quietly and promptly do what they tell you to do, and that you understand that all of the crappiest jobs will be yours.

If you actually show up for work on time and do what they tell you to do you will have a great part time job. It is a great chance to not make a lot of money but it will be more fun than flipping burgers.

Once they figure out you are OK then you will be amazed how much help they will give you on your car.

Welcome to the group - post pictures!

- Paul of MO

Ok, as mentioned, always disconnect the positive wire from the battery when messing with wires.

yes you can connect the relay to the solenoid but it may no longer be good . it goes to your power top.

the only wire that mounts on the rear post of the starter solenoid is the fat one that goes towards the rear of the car and it mounts on the starter.

remove the extra wires you installed on the rear of the solenoid . if one of them is black and has a red stripe, it is a power wire and mounts to the plastic bracket that the relay should mount to . if that is what it is, you can simply put tape on the end of it for now . you could even leave it taped but it's nicer if you can get the plastic block the relay mounts to and mount it that way.

there is a wire that pushes onto the tiny posts on the solenoid . the red wire with the blue stripe goes on the post that points slightly forward . the red wire with the green stripe goes on the other post.

Always sand the loops on the end of the wires a little bit if they look old.

Back