Rear Spoilers : Yes or No?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rear spoiler fitment: YES or NO

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1 351 Auto Ram-Air Blue Glow/Argent
1973 'Q' Code 351 Auto Convertible Red
Maybe this has been asked before...apologies if so

I personally prefer the look of our cars without the Rear Spoiler, especially convertibles, for me without is so much 'cleaner' and looks less of an aftermarket 'add-on' from back in the day (Before anyone says it - I know they were factory options)

Sometimes 'less is more'

Out of interest I just wondered what everyone's opinion was?

Maybe this has been asked before...apologies if so

I personally prefer the look of our cars without the Rear Spoiler, especially convertibles, for me without is so much 'cleaner' and looks less of an aftermarket 'add-on' from back in the day (Before anyone says it - I know they were factory options)

Sometimes 'less is more'

Out of interest I just wondered what everyone's opinion was?
I am biased for sure I ordered my 73 with the rear spoiler it cost $29.12. I don't think they look right on the vert for sure. I have thought about cutting one in the center and adding a center section to widen for a vert to see if it looks right. The vert has different shape to quarters in the rear is why they don't look right and needs to be wider to fit body.

As far as them working I know they do. I took mine off and ran wide open about 120 stock engine and without the spoiler the car felt light and drifted. The front spoiler was not a factory install option but I added one and it also helps at high speed. Some say it does not but stick you hand out the window at 120 and tilt at the angle of the chin spoiler and see how much down force there is. Multiply that by maybe a hundred for the actual spoiler. It settles the front at speed.

Just my thoughts,

David

I'm sure my reply sounds like a broken record to many on here. :)

I like the look of the cars as they came from Ford - for the most part.

So for rear spoilers - only on Mach 1's, Boss 351's and some muscle/sportsroofs.

As I get older I am more appreciating how these cars looked when new. (or as close as possible) ANY car in that configuration is becoming more rare these days!

I have never liked the look of rear spoilers on Grandes, Hardtops or convertibles.

I have a similar opinion on rear louvers for the sportsroofs & Mach 1's. But my opinion there is influenced in the fact that I have rarely seen any that fit right or didn't look cheaply made. If Ford had produced them for our cars - different story. Try cleaning those things and/or the glass underneath! NOPE. Most people that have them don't keep them for long. I have seen pictures of louvers and spoilers for the Mexican Shelby hardtops. Weird looking to me for sure!

Ray

For me it depends on the overall color theme. My baby blue convertible would not look good with a spoiler, especially a black one. If I had black stripes/lower moldings it would look work better. The darker color convertible and coupes look good with a spoiler too. It also works well with a 'white' car. Basicaly, either a dark color or if it is not the 'only' black you see from the side is my personal preference.

They always look right on a fastback but I like them both ways.

I prefer the look of a Mach 1 Sportsroof with spoilers but I could pass on the rear spoiler. An absolutely clean Sportsroof without rear spoiler and louvers looks very good as the original advertising in the Mustang Boss 351 in 1970.

BUT: for a Sportsroof in my liking a front spoiler is a must - original or not. A Sportsroof without a front-lip looks kind of naked for me. For Coupes or Verts it maybe is a different story...

Rear spoilers on Verts and Coupes don't look as good as on Sportsroofs for my eyes but for the Coupe even better than Verts.

My Mach 1 will get all of it: front and rear spoilers and louvers - period :D

For me it is the ultimate look for my car - together with all the stripes, TuTone (with twist locks) and the vinyl roof.

But I am young (rofl) and wild so please forgive my sins, father... :D

People seem to get all excited when they hear Mach 1. Did you know in 73 the only thing the Mach 1 package gave you was Trim Rings w/ Hub Caps, every car had them, Dual Racing mirrors could have on any model, Competition suspension could order on any model, Color Keyed Carpeting this gave you the vinyl inserts only Mach 1. All vinyl bucket seats which all had.

So when you boil it down the only thing on a Mach 1 you could not get on any model was the tape LOGO Mach 1 and the vinyl insert in the carpet.

You had to pay an additional $115.44 to get the Mach 1 Sports Interior only for Mach 1. None of which add any performance to the car only looks. The Mach 1 package has always been just a looks thing and not much go.

When the DMV inspector came yesterday to check out my convertibles he asked if it had a special model and could have added Mach 1 to the title if I had asked him to, lol. So I would have a titled Mach 1 convertible. Never on the Marti but would have been on the title.

Don't feel sad if your car is not a Mach 1 you didn't really miss much, a piece of tape and some vinyl.

David

They look great on a sports roof (aka fastback) but that's it. My car came with one from the factory but to honest I kinda like the clean look with no spoilers at all front or back. But that's just me and because my car came with it I feel it should be there and besides the one on my car is the original installed by the factory and it's in awesome shape I would never take it off.

People seem to get all excited when they hear Mach 1. Did you know in 73 the only thing the Mach 1 package gave you was Trim Rings w/ Hub Caps, every car had them, Dual Racing mirrors could have on any model, Competition suspension could order on any model, Color Keyed Carpeting this gave you the vinyl inserts only Mach 1. All vinyl bucket seats which all had.

So when you boil it down the only thing on a Mach 1 you could not get on any model was the tape LOGO Mach 1 and the vinyl insert in the carpet.

You had to pay an additional $115.44 to get the Mach 1 Sports Interior only for Mach 1. None of which add any performance to the car only looks. The Mach 1 package has always been just a looks thing and not much go.

When the DMV inspector came yesterday to check out my convertibles he asked if it had a special model and could have added Mach 1 to the title if I had asked him to, lol. So I would have a titled Mach 1 convertible. Never on the Marti but would have been on the title.

Don't feel sad if your car is not a Mach 1 you didn't really miss much, a piece of tape and some vinyl.

David
and if you tell your insurance agent it's a Mach1 they probably will boost your premium a few bucks more. The Mustang was always supposed to be the car built by you and especially in the early years you could get pretty much anything added or removed from your car when you ordered it. I had a 1966 hardtop with every performance option available that year but it wasn't a GT but it had a K code 289 and a 4 speed trans disk brakes and all the other goodies including a pony interior and fog lights in the grill and dual exhaust with trumpet exhaust tips. everything except the stripes and GT gas cap. With spinner wheel covers it was a real factory sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came from the factory with no stripes or spoilers... and I hafta say, I'm diggin' the uncluttered look. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point of installing spoilers or stripes on mine - I guess time will tell.

That being said, IMHO the only cars that look 'odd' (just a little) with the trunk spoiler are the coupes - the flying buttress roof extensions seem to crowd the spoiler or vice versa.

I actually think our cars should've received a slight duckbill upward swoop on the trailing edge of the trunk - much like the '69-'70s and/or '67-'68 Shelbys, rather than the elevated wing. But that's just me.

The front spoiler is a hot mess, IMHO. Some days I like it, others not so much. I suppose if it didn't look so much like an afterthought (which is exactly what it is), then I might like it more.

But, my opinion varies from car to car. There are some cars that absolutely rock 'em, and some that just don't. At the end of the day, it's still up to the owner, and I try really hard to not be negative about anybody's choices (there are some things that slip through occasionally, though - I ain't gonna lie :whistling: )

Mine came from the factory with no stripes or spoilers... and I hafta say, I'm diggin' the uncluttered look. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point of installing spoilers or stripes on mine - I guess time will tell.

That being said, IMHO the only cars that look 'odd' (just a little) with the trunk spoiler are the coupes - the flying buttress roof extensions seem to crowd the spoiler or vice versa.

I actually think our cars should've received a slight duckbill upward swoop on the trailing edge of the trunk - much like the '69-'70s and/or '67-'68 Shelbys, rather than the elevated wing. But that's just me.

The front spoiler is a hot mess, IMHO. Some days I like it, others not so much. I suppose if it didn't look so much like an afterthought (which is exactly what it is), then I might like it more.

But, my opinion varies from car to car. There are some cars that absolutely rock 'em, and some that just don't. At the end of the day, it's still up to the owner, and I try really hard to not be negative about anybody's choices (there are some things that slip through occasionally, though - I ain't gonna lie :whistling: )
I'm with you I love the clean look on a Mach1 no stripes or spoilers

1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-front-three-quarters-view.jpg

I voted "yes" for both fastbacks and coupes but I'm undecided on verts.

I like it on some on others I don't.

Same with the other two body styles but there it's usually ok although I prefer spoilers more with some colors than with others.

ME,

I really feel 50/50 about rear spoilers on any123 Muzzy. I sit on the fence about it and i like them both with and without. I feel the same way about rear window louvers too. But as said before, the glass itself is a total bitch to keep clean if you own one.

I think the front spoilers look great and they lend to our cars overall looks.You don't have to have one, but the cars look a touch naked without them. THEY LOOK A BIT DICKY THOUGH WHEN A CAR IS SITTING UP TOO HIGH IN THE FRONT. Also, the front valence panel should be painted satin black as well to go with the spoiler. If not, then the spoiler looks a bit dicky as well sitting there on it's lonesome ownsome.

Greg.:)

Front spoilers on all- ok depending on paint scheme. In some instances, they need to be painted the lower body trim colour ie: argent when on argent lower body trim, looks like shi_ when left black....

Original (not the thick and wavy repo's) Rear spoiler only on the fasbacks (any version) and installed in the right direction and location on the trunk lid, painted only silver or black as applicable... Definitely, not on coupes or verts...

Rear louvers - aluminum, yes on fastbacks if you want them. They look kinda cool, have had them on a Mach way back in n the day...

Last edited:
For the sportsroof have to say both the front chin spoiler and rear. To me, it give a more aggressive look. Just got the mach 1 and was thinking of rear louvers. Convertible is either but still partial to the spoiler. Even on the newer Mustangs think it just does not look quite right.

Agree on the front spoiler on most color schemes. look at a bright or grabber blue Mach 1 with the argent lower paint and spoiler and tell me that doesn't look good. Same with the black spoilers and lower accent color.

Rear spoilers seem to look good on the fastbacks when mounted in the RIGHT direction and in the proper location. When mounted on coupes and verts (Especially some of the odd shaped aftermarket ones) they to take on the "Step Ladder" look of the "Ricer" cars.

Rear louvers-Guess its the body shape, but they look REALLY great on the 69-70's, but I just can't seem to warm to them on a 71-73. I had a production installed louver on a 80 Mustang and Ford accessory on my 85. Of the 6 429 cars in my group, one was a red 71 Torino Cobra with factory rear louvers. Most people didn't even know they were available on the Torino, but they looked great!! So as you can see I'm not a "Hater", just don't like them on certain models.

Remember, no hate mail, these are just opinions. Ford offered a ton of accessories and options for our cars so they could be personalized to our tastes. Just like the Magnum wheels, they were never offered on 69-70 non Boss and 73 Mustangs, but it seems like most of them are sporting them. And they do look great! :)

I wanna get slightly sidetracked here but I wanna get into the subject of front spoilers a little as some have mentioned they mustn't be left black unless the lower valance is black....

That is as always a matter of what the car itself looks like.

While I would agree that on a car with argent accents and lover valance a black spoiler would look out of place, I still think that depending on the overall look on the car a black spoiler can look pretty good.

One must not forget that the generic Mach1 has a clearly defined color scheme (or two, when we thing stripes/no stripes) that we are used to which is why, as soon as you step away from that, it looks weird.

But as soon as you start doing your own thing it can work either way, depending on how you combine it all.

I'll have to bore you with pictures of mine to illustrate my idea but those are the pics I have to work with. (BTW, if someone thinks it doesn't look right and does not agree with me, they may speak up. I don't mind criticism at all and I like to learn other peoples' opinions. Don't be shy! I mean it.)

When I had my car done I wanted the front spoiler to be yellow like the rest of the car, as I did not want it to look like an add on but more like it was part of the package in the first place.

Here's what it looked like:

DSC_5056.JPG

While not looking all that hideous it still looks wrong.

Now, same setup, same grille, same everything, only with the spoiler painted black:

DSC_4236.JPG

I think it works, even without the black lower valance. The spoiler is much less pronounced and still doesn't look like an add on because of the all yellow/black scheme of the car. It's simply another black accent.

(Actually, after looking at these pictures side by side, I think the yellow one looks even more like an add on than the black one. It's like it's trying too hard to fit in. )

Now, if my car was all yellow with a white top and full chrome wheels, I do think the black spoiler might look alien on it.

So I guess there are no rules what works and what doesn't. It's a matter of what style the car has and if your spoiler (or anythings else, for that matter) goes with it or breaks it.

The black spoiler on yellow looks great. Yellow is a colour you can install the black spoiler on without the black lower areas. The key is the black top on the car to provide appropriate amount of contrast. Yes, the black spoiler choice on your car vs the yellow was a good decision IMO.

Like others, I have had many colour cars all with the black front spoiler. It worked on some colours for me and not others.

My current Pastel Blue restoration came with the black spoiler on the front (not from the factory ( pretty sure only Boss 351's could be ordered with this). As my car did not have the lower black out applied at the factory and with a white top, I don't think the spoiler will be reinstalled upon completion.

I believe the front spoiler looks the best on our cars with the blue on argent paint scheme. Spoiler painted argent of course. The yellow and black combo is a close second as I have had a Mach in this colour previously.

At the end of the day, to each their own and just enjoy!

Back