Engine & Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

123FRANK321

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang conv
I am new to the form and happy to be here. I am in the process of restoring a 73 convertible. I rebuilt the transmission and engine 5 years ago and stop the project. The car has not been started in 5 years what should I due before I try to start. I am also getting body work done; next step a house of kolor candy paint. What’s a good price for an engine shop to pull the engine & reinstall; so I can have my restoration guy paint the fire wall.

MUSTANG PROJECT.bmp

MUSTANG PROJECT 11.bmp

Attachments

• MUSTANG PROJECT.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 38
  • MUSTANG PROJECT 11.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Frank -

I moved your post to the Introductions so you could get more exposure to your questions.

Glad to have you here! First, how did you remove your engine when you first rebuilt it. Did you do it yourself, or have a shop do it? You might want to get it running first, and then, if everything is running great and you don't need to do anything to the motor, then you could decide if you want to pull it just to paint the fire wall.

Another pic or two of the area you want to repaint may be helpful as well.

Again, welcome to the site!

Doc

::welcome::

I'd drain & flush the old gas out of the carb & gas tank, put on a new fuel filter add some fresh fuel and give it a whirl.

Ps. The new fuel filter is very important. No telling how much rust developed in the gas tank...very common. You know the saying an ounce of prevention...

Good luck with it.

Welcome Frank. I'm far from what you'd call "knowledgeable" :)D) but I'd turn the engine over with a bar before you crank it, to get the rings and everything oiled up. Don't want to burn anything up on an otherwise good rebuild!

Welcome Frank. I'm far from what you'd call "knowledgeable" :)D) but I'd turn the engine over with a bar before you crank it, to get the rings and everything oiled up. Don't want to burn anything up on an otherwise good rebuild!
Yeah, Good point Steve. Maybe add a bit of marvel mystery oil through each spark plug hole for good measure.

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you aboard and you definitely came to the right place! There are some knowledgeable folks around here that wont steer you wrong!

Welcome to the site! Glad to see another 73 vert being saved from the crusher! I agree with the recommendations above and it is important to remove the plugs first and use the Marvel Mystery Oil or spray WD 40 into each piston to coat the walls before turning the engine over. Not sure what an engine removal and reinstall would cost. Keep the pictures coming.

Glad to see another vert! Would love to see more pics.

I agree with all with new oil and filter!!! The oil is no good sitting that long!!!

Welcome to the site! I like 73 convertibles, it's good to have another around. Soon we can take this place over! LOL

After sitting for 5 years it would be a good idea to prime the oiling system, especially if the engine has not been run since the rebuild. To do this the distributor would need to be removed. Then use a long extension and a socket taped or siliconed (preferably welded)to the extension (you do NOT want it to fall off into the engine). Use a drill motor to spin the oil pump until oil comes from the pishrods and rockers. It helps to turn the engine crankshaft while doing this.

You will probably want to find a friend to help with this if you have never done this before, it's not that complicated but getting the distributor back in correctly can be a challenge to the inexperienced.

Last edited by a moderator:
WELCOME aboard, Frank!

As Jeff inferred, it would appear that the Convertibles are coming "out of the wood works", but that is a very GOOD thing.

As a few have noted, I think you will enjoy it here and I am sure that you, too, will be able to help or advise some of us on our efforts.

Again, Welcome!

BT

Sorry it took me so long to respond guys, I have been working a lot of hours. Thanks for all the welcomes. Just in case I have confused anyone I had a shop rebuild the engine & trans. I just found someone to pull the engine & dress it up a little.

Off topic, when I had my engine rebuilt the mechanic told that the AC unit made the car loose power. So when he installed the engine he left out the AC parts, is there any truth to this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back