Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts Inc.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1bad71

Reaction score
My Car
71 coupe Thunder Jet 429,Wieand tunnel ram with dual 650 Holleys, MSD ignition, 270/280 split duration cam, C6 auto with 391 drag pack rear end.
I would like to report on a purchase I just made from OCAP and maybe vent a bit. I ordered 10 parts from these folks. When I did online check out for all parts ordered it said shipping will be 14.99. So when the parts came there was more than half the order back ordered. Well fine..or so I thought. Yesterday I received yet a few more parts. This time with a shipping charge for 17.99. What gives?? So I call them and they tell me we charge shipping every time we ship (we have to) So I ask if it is my fault they don't have every item in there catalog? The answer was we charge for every item we ship regardless. Then why I ask you is the shipping for the second shipment more than the first which should have been everything? NO ANSWER!! I canceled everything else that was back ordered! Just wanting to let people here know that they WILL rip you off if they get a chance. I will go with out parts before I ever order from them again!

Thanks

So how much extra did they charge you?

The only thing I see they did was to fail to inform you of multiple shipments and subsequent shipping charges for each one.

Just-in-time shipping is tough for vendors to manage. If they are really good at it - they usually charge a little more.

What you might consider in the future - request all items be shipped as one shipment and verify how many item - if any require backorders.

Sound like a communications problem and not a real 'rip-off' to me. In my experiences - sometimes you have to prioritize and 'pick your battles'...

I go with Don at Ohio Mustang Supply when I need stuff and have NEVER been disappointed!

Good luck on your future purchases!!!

Ray

Agree with using Don (OMS) Ohio Mustang Supply. He is a site member and understands how we feel about our cars and what type of service we expect. I have been caught in the multiple shipment freight charge on back order parts also. Most of the time when I made a civil call, I got the shipping reduced or removed. But I have also run into the jacklegs that refused to make any kind of concession no matter large an order you made. Check with Don on other parts you needed. He also handles 74/ Mustang and cougar parts. :)

I would like to report on a purchase I just made from OCAP and maybe vent a bit. I ordered 10 parts from these folks. When I did online check out for all parts ordered it said shipping will be 14.99. So when the parts came there was more than half the order back ordered. Well fine..or so I thought. Yesterday I received yet a few more parts. This time with a shipping charge for 17.99. What gives?? So I call them and they tell me we charge shipping every time we ship (we have to) So I ask if it is my fault they don't have every item in there catalog? The answer was we charge for every item we ship regardless. Then why I ask you is the shipping for the second shipment more than the first which should have been everything? NO ANSWER!! I canceled everything else that was back ordered! Just wanting to let people here know that they WILL rip you off if they get a chance. I will go with out parts before I ever order from them again!

Thanks
They are local to me and I won't shop there. Ridiculous prices and questionable practices. I buy from OMS whenever I can. Best parts and fair prices. Chuck

I've been burned by the whole "it was back-ordered, so I had to charge you more shipping for the other products." I don't think the vendor is trying to rip anyone off, I just think they're trying to insure they don't eat a lot of shipping costs. The easiest way around that is to A. Don't ship partial orders based on ; B. Don't allow purchase of things you don't have in stock (in other words, don't become a reseller unless you have adequate numbers in stock); and C. Always let the buyer know what's going on before you execute actions.

Sorry to hear you got bit for more expenses.

The obvious solution is to build in the shipping costs into the cost of the parts. That's what I do; my stated costs are flat-rated and the same for everyone, including shipping. I even eat sales taxes when I sell something within my state (Florida, not Mind *G*). The only time I add shipping costs is when it is an overseas sale.

There will always be back orders. That I understand. What I did not understand is why when I placed the order (before I knew there would be back order) The whole order was quoted at 14.99 to ship. The second shipment was 17.99 by itself. So more than quoted for the entire order. At any rate I wont ever make this mistake again. Any way I just feel if you feel a vendor (or anyone for that matter) takes advantage of you. It should be brought to the attention of others. Then they can take note and decide if they want to buy from that party. From now on I will order by phone ONLY and if anything is not in stock I will find different vendor. We all know that in this hobby shipping plays a huge role in the cost of building or restoring a car.

Thanks

The obvious solution is to build in the shipping costs into the cost of the parts. That's what I do; my stated costs are flat-rated and the same for everyone, including shipping. I even eat sales taxes when I sell something within my state (Florida, not Mind *G*). The only time I add shipping costs is when it is an overseas sale.
Although I have restored mustangs of all years for a long time. I don't know of that many vendors. I usually just look on line and pick one. I can say Mustangs unlimited sent a back ordered item to me freight free a while back. Like most that do a lot of cars I do try to bargain hunt for the best parts at the best price. I am not like most with one or two cars. I own at any one time around 10 to 15. I buy sell and trade cars. So always working on something.

Thanks

I will give a serious look at OMS and others on the site. Thanks for all the comments and vendor endorsements.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Don also sells a lot of parts not displayed in his online store or eBay store. You just have to ask him.

I bought a never fired 351 4V long block still wrapped in plastic and soaked in machine oil from the

rebuilder, awesome engine and in my car now. Don has Parts. Speaking of backorders, I bought a pair

of parts from one of our local vendors here. The item arrived with "one item sent, one backordered" a

week later I got the second piece with "one item sent, one backordered" a week later the same thing.

Now I had three of them. Had to call the vendor and tell them I had enough parts.

mike

I like the places with free shipping... I have it shipped to a USA address in Buffalo and then go over and pick up. Depending on the $$ value, I may pay duty upon return to Canada, but that's just the price of doing business.

The free shipping is usually for spending a few hundred $$'s as a minimum, so I wait until I need enough that the shipping will be included. I'm probably already paying for shipping in the prices, but the prices are pretty similar to other retailers.

For my restoration, I usually do an order in the few 1K -2K... makes it well worth having a US address to ship to.

Keep in mind, our 65-70 cent dollar... already paying through the nose on the conversion...

Back