Issues starting and accelerating

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lekrut

Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande with Avocado interior.
Hey everyone!!

I am having issues with starting. engine is 302 with 2100 carb. will only start with starting fluid. Once engine is going it will stall when you press down on accelerator. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Lance

It certainly sounds like a fuel issue. I would start with a new fuel filter and then perhaps a new pump.

Another possible cause would be a massive vacuum leak. Have you checked all of the vacuum lines? Does it idle okay in gear?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Mike, most likely a fuel issue. Also, how long has it sat since the last time it was run? The carburetor might be plugged up with dried fuel (varnish) or the gas could be bad.

I had a similar issue when I first got my mustang. Don and Will got you covered, it does sound like a fuel problem. I checked my fuel lines, replaced the filter and did a rebuild on the carb since it was long due for it anyway. I need to replace my fuel tank too, I think it might be sending junk around my fuel system.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Once I get it stared and warmed up, it idles good and smooth. I thought it might be a fuel problem too. It looks like the fuel pup is newer. The fuel tank was changed before I bought it.

After it's warm, does it still stall when you throttle up? If not, it's probably choke issues as midlife suggests. If it does, the accelerator pump on your carb might [also] be having some issues.

If it's a choke issue, that can be observed by watching the butterflies opening / not opening & by checking plugs. Plugs will be getting fouled if choke is not pulling off.

Since it idles okay, the idle circuit in the carb is working fine. I would agree on checking accelerator pump and carb rebuild as well as new ful filters.

Thank you for all the advice!! I am going to rebuild the carb. Seems like that is the consensus from every one.

Back