how to replace a rear quarter panel on a 71 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabertooth

Reaction score
My Car
Rust bucket project worked on by a 16 year old
like i said before im 16 and about a few months ago someone hit my rear quarter panel not naming names but i need a new one along with a rear valance and bumper dose anyone

A. know how to do this and give me guidance

B. how much it will cost for all three

C. think it can be done by someone who dose not have a lot of experience

thanks for the help if you think i cant do it just say it any advice helps

how bad is the damage? you can either get full quarters or skins depending how bad it is.

Post up some pictures, many of us here have replaced panels, and I'm sure we can offer much help.

The job is not one for the faint of heart or for one with little experience.

kcmash

Hi there,

Qcode351mach --- Scott, should be able to give you all the info you need, but if you plan on doing the job yourself and you haven't had any real experience with this type of work, i wouldn't try and take it on.

Greg.:)

Not a job for a beginner requires some special tools--A mig or tig welder and depending how hard it was hit may require a pull on a frame machine..Better off to have a experienced body shop do the work. Post up a picture so we can see better..Might be able to save the existing panel

Small business owner are struggling to find workers that will even show up on time let alone put in a fair days work. So if you can show up on time and put some effort in then I suggest:

Find a local bodyshop and go introduce yourself and let them know that you will show up on time and do what you are told. Cleaning up the shop, taking out the trash, all of the nastiest grunt work will be your assignment. This would be a perfect after school and weekend part time job for a 16 year old. Plus you will not get paid much. How perfect.

You will learn a lot and once they decide you are OK and a hard worker they will give you some more direct advice and assistance on your project.

If you are not OK and not a hard worker they will simply tell you not to come back. Do not be that guy.

- Paul of MO

Last edited by a moderator:
Small business owner are struggling to find workers that will even show up on time let alone put in a fair days work. So if you can show up on time and put some effort in then I suggest:

Find a local bodyshop and go introduce yourself and let them know that you will show up on time and do what you are told. Cleaning up the shop, taking out the trash, all of the nastiest grunt work will be your assignment. This would be a perfect after school and weekend part time job for a 16 year old. Plus you will not get paid much. How perfect.

You will learn a lot and once they decide you are OK and a hard worker they will give you some more direct advice and assistance on your project.

If you are not OK and not a hard worker they will simply tell you not to come back. Do not be that guy.

- Paul of MO
+1 I like that idea!!

Great advice on that. That is how I got to work in an engine shop. I was in tech school taking Machine Shop & Tool & Die and was always working on my car parts in the shop. I needed to get a block bored and crank ground and asked around. That led me to Roger Ingram. He taught me how to bore and hone engines and do valve jobs. I would split wheels on the lathe and do work for him to let me do my work. I learned and he got free labor but I think I came out ahead. I regret never getting on the balance machine.

Good luck glad you don't just play video games like some do.

I have said many times if I had it to do over again I would open a high end body shop. If you don't pay in this state the state gives you the vehicle in 12 months so not going to loose.

David

The job is not one for the faint of heart or for one with little experience.

kcmash
Sorry I missed the 'Convertible", I was thinking you had a fastback. So, If you were going to learn bodywork that seems like the best choice for a successful alignment and replacement.

thanks for the advice that's a good idea for working in a shop. there is not saving this panel i was hit from the rear the valance needs to be replaced along with the bumper

the panel actually buckled on the other side its smooth but in the drivers side it is like a lump i will try and get a pic of it later

If it took that kind of hit, check the trunk floor. It may have buckled a bit. What kind of rear valance are you looking for? I could dig out the one I have buried in my garage (non-exhaust openings) that is in pristine condition. $50 plus shipping

Yes, here is an example (under tail light at the rear bumper attachment reinforcement) of a buckled trunk floor, not serious but needing proper repair. A good shop can pull/repair this type of hit and save the trunk pan as well.

convertible30.jpg

Last edited:
Back