what size cam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71coupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang
I'm getting motor rebuilt and would like to throw in a "mild" cam. Would like to know what your thoughts are and your recommendations. Here is what I have:

302 - standard bore size

4 barrel carb 650 holley double pumper

edelbrock aluminum dual plane intake

MSD distributor

long tube hooker headers

Automatic transmission - FMX

as far as internals of the 302; everything is stock. This is going to be a daily driver, so I didn't want to go way over on my budget on the motor. I still have paint and body work to do. Plus I won't be doing any racing. Just wanted to give the car a little something extra.

Mind you all the parts listed above can be changed out! I don't mind getting a smaller/bigger carb, different headers, intake...etc.

Please share your recommendations with me....greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks!

71coupe........errr..actually its a 72Sprint!

Last edited by a moderator:
ABSOLUTELY concur with Roy's suggestion!!!

When you call them, make sure you are TOTALLY honest with your goals for the Mustang. One of the biggest mistakes that we (Modifyers) often make is to be a bit disingenuous with what we want out of our vehicles MOST of the time.

BT

I think if you just want to give a little extra kick to it, I think a Comp Cam Dual Energy cam would work for you, The 265DEH strong mid-range everyday performance for stock exhaust, The 255DEH also offers good torque,good mileage excellent low end torque smooth idle,The 275DEH is high performance choppy idle but a 2000 stall is recommended ( I put the 275DEH in a completely stock 84 T-bird and it really woke the thing up and i didn't use a stall converter but it would help )

choppy idle is COOL!!!

I just love the way a car with a finely tuned cam sounds.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

That's what I did, my hole engine and tranny is off one step above the 351 HO cam + They did me real good!! now I have the engine on a run stand but not in the car yet. But wow does it sound strong!!!!! Call them!!!!!

I guess I should put a pic or video of my engine on here????

If you aren't planning on racing it, and you have the other goals as stated, try and keep your total lift under .500/.500. When you get to that point, you have to start looking at a fully adjustable valves train, E.G., roller rocker arms, guide plates, correct push rod length, new higher stall speed torque converter, and numerically higher gear ratio's, in order to utilize your new cam.

Something like this,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K31-218-2/

or this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K31-234-3/

You will still need to measure for PR length, and verify your valve train geometry though!

Last year I inherited a 73 Verti, to go with my 65 2+2.

This year I'm driving the Verti on a 5k mile round trip to Kalispell Montanna.

The old engine/C-4 is out of the 73 and I'm swapping in a fresh 5.0 w/AFR 165 heads and stud mount 1.6 Scorpion RR's. The 5.0 will reuse the Edelbrock carb on F4B intake manifold, stock dizzy w/Pertronix I. The tranny is a 4R70W(electronic AOD) final drive ratio is 3.25

Cam is a Comp Cam XE270HR-112, 218/224@ .050 This same combo except 9.3:1 CR & EFI in the 2+2 resulted in; Right snappy performance, and a best of 27 MPG. I'm hoping this set up with 10:1 CR will yield a simular mpg, albeit with an extra 700 lbs to drag around.

It would seem a straight forward Engine/tranny/8" chunk swap would not be too compicated. However some of the details are really slowing me down. Mostly due to tranny needs, that have to be fabricated. Must be on the road in 54 days.

Just to add,

I chose to build a fresh 5.0 instead of rebuilding to origional 302, coz the 5.0 uses Roller lifters, instead of flat tappets as the 302 did. Todays oils do not have the same formulation, as the ones in use with the flat tappet engines. Unless a lot of additives(zinc) are used the likilyhood of wiping a lobe on a flat tappet camed engine are too high. That and the roller lifters allow a much more agressive and modern cam grind to be used.

So if yer re-engining your car use a block already set up for roller cams or use a roller conversion kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider the Lunati PN 11200LK, cam and lifters. You will need to add springs. As someone else said you need to check for proper push rod length. The DP may work OK if you have enough gear.

Chuck

Back