which are the rarest options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73nancy

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 mustang
1968 ford f100
1971 honda cb750
hey everyone im wondering how rare are some options on our cars. i know i have a few options on my car that are good but wondering what the rarest options for our cars.

my 73 mach has the following center consol, triple guage package, fold down rear seat, rear spolier, ram air hood, hood lock downs, ps,pb, deluxe int, 351 c H code. i havent got my marti report yet cause im a broke college student but have always wondered if my cars options are anything special or just run of the mill.

run of the mill.

rare stuff would be adjustable intermittent wipers, rear defroster, Cobra jet engine, 1971 is the most desirable.

the rarest of 71 would be the 302 Boss mustang of which 1 has been discovered. all boss mustangs in 71 were 351 this one left the factory as a 302.

Factory cruise control is rare also

Mine is about average for a Mach, The thing that would stand out on mine is it is supposed to have a 3/4 vinyl top ( which PO removed ) Don't know to say rare or unusual as i have not seen that many Mach's with this option waiting on getting Marti report to see how many had this and then will decide if i will put it back or not

According to my source, only 603 1973 Mustangs had the ram air setup and they were all 351 2V. Keep in mind that we are talking about the actual ram air setup and not just the hood.

That, again according to my source, is the rarest option for 1973.

BT

How about the front seat back automatic release when a door is opened. When you open a door the front seat latch automatically releases so the seat back can fold forward. I don't have mine hooked up currently since the mechanism drains my battery.

that option came with the convenience group, i think convertibles got that not sure about other body styles.

there was a option for 71 that listed a locking seat back.

71_updates.jpg

rarest would also be the Wood grain center console.

woodgrainConsole1.jpg

and early 71 cars got Chromed grill sport lights on the mach 1.

chromeLamp1.jpg

my car is a run of the mill 72, 1 of 437.

in 73 due to emissions laws the V4 engine was not allowed to have ram air from the factory.

It sounds like the OP wanted to know what rare options would make the car special (ie: more valuable).

The rarer options that would ACTUALLY increase the value of your car, generally

are high performance related: engine, transmission and styling related.

Examples: Boss 351, 429 engine, drag pack, 4-speed stick, ram-air, Mach1 fastback, convert., deluxe interior with all guages, good looking origional color combo.

Rare options like auto seat releases, cruise control, vinal roof on a fastback are nice to have but nobody will pay much extra for them. Pink paint with green interior would be ultra-rare, but not valuable.

Auto-trans was a nice option for commuting in traffic but an origional 4-speed is so rare and desireable now, it makes any v8 car more valuable.

Your options make the car certainly more rare and desireable than a standard coupe or even a standard Mach1 but (like my car) the 351/auto trans combo is pretty common. Although a 351c is much more desireable than a 302 or smaller engine. These cars are becoming more rare and hard to find in good condition every year. So it's probably best to keep it looking origional, especially if you are going to sell someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some options that I have not heard many members talk about but were available for Mustangs according to my 1973 Ford Accessories Brochure are:

Remote Control Trunk Lid Release - Electric, Part no. 432A00

Emergency Reflector Flare Kit, with three reflector flag units, Part no. 19E500

Collant Recovery System, Part no. 8522

Wheel Splash Guards, Part no. 16A550

Electric Antenna, Part no. 18813

These accessories probably would not add much of anything to the value, but would be unique.

Ok, so who has the rarest 1 of ?, based on their Marti Report on this forum?
Rex (vamach1) has a 1 of 50 Sprint convertibles made only in 72.

My white/ginger 71 is 1 of 59 with its paint/trim codes, according to Marti. however, a buddy of mine a few miles away has a 72 with the same paint & trim as mine. So I'm not sure how rare that combo actually is. :-/

Havent noticed it mentioned but could have looked over it in the comments... how about power windows,fold down rear seat, instrument cluster and , auto seat back release. I have a Marti. but not the full package with the numbers.

rarest of marti reports?...is one of one..a few of those mustangs on this site...too say who's is the rarest of those reports? imposssible...cause once you got 1 of 1..you have somthing diffrent than any other stang...lol....i got to scan mine..but mine is 1 of 1...and they didnt even have to break down all the numbers..cause by the time they got half way threw the options..it was 1 of 1..lol...so many options..so many combos for that year.

ya... anything electric in these years of cars are usualy rare...according to my report and only 4 red mach 1's 351 4v's ..was made in 1973 with power windows..so if you got power anything..a good chance it was special ordered.

well the 600 and something ram air hood option in 73 seems pretty good for my car. idk if it was factory ram air since it had a chrome air cleaner on it when i got it so it prob didnt have one. im thinking of putting one on because it would make the hood function. ya my car def doesnt have any rare stuff in it. but the options it has would be the options i would have ordered back in the day..

one more thing i have these heater like things under the seats with a plug. dont know if they are seat heaters or not? always wondered what they could be they were put in the bottom seat springs?

I have a 1 of 1 l6 250 low compression, 3 gears manual trans on a 72 sportsroof :)

Not a race car but yet rare... I think low compression engines are the rare thing in this configuration... They are coded by a number instead of a letter in the VIN...

I think only 302 v8 and 250 l6 were made as low compression ones and it is so rare that the first mails to people in Marti were to try to convince them my VIN was correct! Je!!

They made me took a picture of it, je

ya..thats one rare motor you got there:) im suprized it wasnt stripped and gutted for a v8 along its life..some one must of loved the old 250 i6 too keep it in there..she get too gas milage?

I have a 1 of 1 l6 250 low compression, 3 gears manual trans on a 72 sportsroof :)

Not a race car but yet rare... I think low compression engines are the rare thing in this configuration... They are coded by a number instead of a letter in the VIN...

I think only 302 v8 and 250 l6 were made as low compression ones and it is so rare that the first mails to people in Marti were to try to convince them my VIN was correct! Je!!

They made me took a picture of it, je

i have a friend that had a 1 of 1 71 convertible. it was a fully loaded 302 car that had a green metallic paint job, and he got rid of it like 3 years ago for 8K it was a piece of junk.

that combination of accessories made it a 1 of 1 and not desirable at all.

I also know a club member with a 1 of 1 Q code mach 1 that restored might fetch as much as a Boss 351 in the 50k range. although the market has collapsed on everything and those 351 50+K cars you can get for under 30K now.

well.you never know...some people ripped it off in 1973..cause the ram air was only for 2 barrel carb in 73 model....so they would disscard the 2 barrel ram air set up for a aftermarket 4 barrel carb....does it still have the original carb on it? from the sounds of the chrome air breather...im sure it doesnt..but you never know..lol..have to ask first..lol

and for the plugs under the seat...well..most likely..but you never know..its for 1 or 2 things..either automatic seat release{rare option a bit} or for the seat belt alarms.{most likely}..are old blue mach..still had them working..and that red light on your glove compartment would pop on..and it would make this buzz..till you lifted your butt off the seat...or finaly fastened it....sence it was made before the seatbelt laws got all crazy..most people just unplugged them..lol..soooooo alot of these years of mustangs you will find a plug under the seats unhooked..lol

well the 600 and something ram air hood option in 73 seems pretty good for my car. idk if it was factory ram air since it had a chrome air cleaner on it when i got it so it prob didnt have one. im thinking of putting one on because it would make the hood function. ya my car def doesnt have any rare stuff in it. but the options it has would be the options i would have ordered back in the day..

one more thing i have these heater like things under the seats with a plug. dont know if they are seat heaters or not? always wondered what they could be they were put in the bottom seat springs?

well.you never know...some people ripped it off in 1973..cause the ram air was only for 2 barrel carb in 73 model....so they would disscard the 2 barrel ram air set up for a aftermarket 4 barrel carb....does it still have the original carb on it? from the sounds of the chrome air breather...im sure it doesnt..but you never know..lol..have to ask first..lol

and for the plugs under the seat...well..most likely..but you never know..its for 1 or 2 things..either automatic seat release{rare option a bit} or for the seat belt alarms.{most likely}..are old blue mach..still had them working..and that red light on your glove compartment would pop on..and it would make this buzz..till you lifted your butt off the seat...or finaly fastened it....sence it was made before the seatbelt laws got all crazy..most people just unplugged them..lol..soooooo alot of these years of mustangs you will find a plug under the seats unhooked..lol

I'm pretty sure my 73 vert has the seat belt buzzer but when I replaced the carpet last year and took the seats out I noticed that I had a bunch of cut wires....and a plug hanging from the seat bottom....

Back