steering problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabertooth

Reaction score
My Car
Rust bucket project worked on by a 16 year old
okay on the steering column with the blinker and key hole you can turn it 180 degrees what could cause this also when i turn the steering wheel the shift lever moves i know i need a shifter rebuild kit which is easy to do but dont know what causes the problem on the steering column

okay on the steering column with the blinker and key hole you can turn it 180 degrees what could cause this also when i turn the steering wheel the shift lever moves i know i need a shifter rebuild kit which is easy to do but dont know what causes the problem on the steering column
Huh?:huh:

Clarify with a photo with illustration.

Are you saying the steering column collar where the key and blinker arm are

rotates?
yes

Unless someone chimes in that has the specific knowledge to the

assembly of the column you are on your own.

It wont be too hard to figure out once you start disassembly the problem

will be obvious and not hard to diagnose.

Don at OMS can surly provide the parts you need for a non-tilt column.

Paul

It's been a long time since I've had my column apart. But I seem to remember there being screws to hold it together. You will need to take it apart, it isn't that hard or time consuming of a project.

Don't try and muscle the steering wheel off without a puller. A friend of mine broke his nose that way. (On him it was an improvement)
roflrofl:whistling:

I just rocked mine side to side until it came lose, mind you it is an aftermarket one so it may not be as tight.

Okay here is the problem can anyone help. Im no mechanic but i dont think this is right

image.jpeg

Looks like somebody messed with things, like beating on the end of the shaft to get the steering wheel off and messing up the threads some. It's hard telling what other damage they did, may have broken the lower casting. You'll need to take the turn signal plate off and see what's under it. And then maybe take the upper casting off to see what condition the lower casting is in.

Looks like you are missing all your screws.

Behind the electrical components, are there 2 nuts?
yes there are

Back