Radio's

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1bad71

Reaction score
My Car
71 coupe Thunder Jet 429,Wieand tunnel ram with dual 650 Holleys, MSD ignition, 270/280 split duration cam, C6 auto with 391 drag pack rear end.
Recently I seen some radio's for sale there were some AM 8 tracks as well as others. I thought it was on this site but cant remember. I cant seem to find it now. Anyone know if there was a member selling factory AM 8 tracks?

Thanks

Recently I seen some radio's for sale there were some AM 8 tracks as well as others. I thought it was on this site but cant remember. I cant seem to find it now. Anyone know if there was a member selling factory AM 8 tracks?

Thanks
They were here. I think one was a later model with AM/FM 8 track but might have been AM/8Track also. I sent the seller a message looking for the rear mount for AM/8Track but did not get an answer back. I got a good working AM/8Track off eBay for less than $100. If you do get one you also need to do some work on the tapes. You can buy the foam pads that go in the center, new drive rolls, splices and sensor strips. If you don't keep the drive shafts in the player clean with alcohol and the head they will eat the tapes. If they don't play correct the tape needs a rebuild. Here is link to one of the suppliers of the repair parts. http://katestrackshack.com/deluxe_repair_kit.html

They will last forever some of mine were bought in early 60's and still play. I have an adapter somewhere that will play a cassette tape in the 8-Track player.

What is hard to find is a working example of the 45 RPM player for your car. It played the records from the bottom to prevent skipping. I like the old audio and video.

Do a search back about a week ago for the seller.

David

Thank you very much! That is the one I was looking for.

Thanks

Don

Thanks
They were here. I think one was a later model with AM/FM 8 track but might have been AM/8Track also. I sent the seller a message looking for the rear mount for AM/8Track but did not get an answer back. I got a good working AM/8Track off eBay for less than $100. If you do get one you also need to do some work on the tapes. You can buy the foam pads that go in the center, new drive rolls, splices and sensor strips. If you don't keep the drive shafts in the player clean with alcohol and the head they will eat the tapes. If they don't play correct the tape needs a rebuild. Here is link to one of the suppliers of the repair parts. http://katestrackshack.com/deluxe_repair_kit.html

They will last forever some of mine were bought in early 60's and still play. I have an adapter somewhere that will play a cassette tape in the 8-Track player.

What is hard to find is a working example of the 45 RPM player for your car. It played the records from the bottom to prevent skipping. I like the old audio and video.

Do a search back about a week ago for the seller.

David
Thank you! I don't do ebay at all. Got taken for 1300.00 and NO Help from ebay or pay-pal. But thanks for the information. I have a player in my 71. Now looking for one for my 70 that is just about done. I am very much old school. I have an 8 track in my home system that I have used since day one. Also one in my 68 Charger. Just love them. I noticed your handle (Carolina mustang) Are you also a mustang vendor? Been looking for some new vendors. Still have another stang to restore. And still needing a few parts for the one I am working on now. I have a 70 vert. that is pretty much a shell. Was a 351 W with P/S and P/brakes with AC. Thinking of doing a Shelby 500KR tribute since so much is missing anyway. Thanks again for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an AM/FM 8 track date coded from 1973 but it's not from a Mustang it's from either a Thunderbird or a Lincoln. It works but poorly so it would be only for show unless you wanted to get it repaired or take it on yourself. Still it's not correct for Mustang and the AM 8 tracks I looked at last summer at Carlisle were to rich for my blood.

I have an AM/FM 8 track date coded from 1973 but it's not from a Mustang it's from either a Thunderbird or a Lincoln. It works but poorly so it would be only for show unless you wanted to get it repaired or take it on yourself. Still it's not correct for Mustang and the AM 8 tracks I looked at last summer at Carlisle were to rich for my blood.
Thanks, I will keep it in mind but really looking for a mustang AM 8 track.

Thanks

Don

Thanks

Don
They're out there but trying to find a working unit is hard and could be a little expensive. I put an AM/FM in mine it's a vintage Ford unit and works great. If you do find one I've found 8track tapes through AMAZON. I bought one just for looks that's all they were ever good for anyway.

Thanks

Don
They're out there but trying to find a working unit is hard and could be a little expensive. I put an AM/FM in mine it's a vintage Ford unit and works great. If you do find one I've found 8track tapes through AMAZON. I bought one just for looks that's all they were ever good for anyway.
Thanks again, I am very old school. I have several hundred 8 track tapes and I also still have a 8 track player in my home stereo system. I still play them. I have reel to reel and records too. Love my old stuff. I have a 63 seaburg juke box in my shop. Guess I am showing my age lol.

Thanks

Don
Thanks again, I am very old school. I have several hundred 8 track tapes and I also still have a 8 track player in my home stereo system. I still play them. I have reel to reel and records too. Love my old stuff. I have a 63 seaburg juke box in my shop. Guess I am showing my age lol.
Nothing wrong with old school I have a huge collection of 33s and even a few 45s and still play them on a regular basis. I too love old stuff because it's not old to me, it's just good stuff.

Back