Trunk thing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
Not even sure what this thing is called lol so I just gotta post a pic and ask. Pretty ratty and about only thing on the car thats out of place to take it to a decent car show. Whats it called and can I get one or do I have to fabricate it. Guess its like skirt so you cant see back of the back seat?

2mnnju0.jpg

trunk.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe that is the well liner you are pointing to very comen part 45.00$
Thanks nailpounder. Well Liner it is then!

Hi John and Jason,

In my case, i went out and bought a new well liner to go with my new Robbins roof. The well liner took on an appearance, when viewed from standing behind the trunk and looking in, like a kind of grey colored backing you get behind a typical piece of upholstery vinyl. That look was kind of acceptable to me, but when i gave my trunk a complete make over, i ended up buying a rattle can of SEM Landau black, and spray painted this section of well liner which ends up being on show. I found that approach to be a workable solution to improving the look of the well liner. I have given a link below to my trunk make over thread, so you can see my pics of what i ended up doing when i sprayed that section of well liner. See what you think.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-makeover-project

Cheers,

Greg.:)

I painted mine with Fabric paint, first I did a coat of Tan, then went over it with white to get the Cream color like the original, it looks really good.
Thanks! I was thinking of doing same thing as a quick fix. I like idea of the two color method. Can you post pic of how yours came out?

So I got a new well liner and it looks pretty good. But when you show car and trunk is open you are looking at the backside of the fabric thats not so good looking. Is there supposed to be some filler panel/board that went in front of trunk so you cant see the pump for convertible? If not, has anyone made one? I'd be tempted to cut a nice thin piece of luan wood and paint it black since all the rest of my trunk is black. Anyone?

No there was not a panel behind the seat just the partition. These cars were not built as a display piece just a car. Back then we did not want everything hidden. In today's cars you cannot see anything and a pain to remove all the covers without breaking something off, snap in.

When most people view your car at a show they know what should be there and would probably think why did he do that if you change it. But if you have a restomod then that is part of it.

If you want a panel go to upholstery shop and they can cut you a cardboard in black or grey and install for little. You could also have them add vinyl or fabric if you want.

LOL! Omg that is beautiful. Not sure I am quite ready to take it to that level I was just hoping to block the view of the pump. I'll post pics after I make something (simple). Thanks for link though.

Earlier year Mustang convertibles came from the factory with a cardboard 'trunk divider' which was mounted between the trunk rods and the well liner. I know that 69 well liners had the divider sown into the well liner. Like most things, Ford dropped them from production (I assume to save $$).

Dead_Nuts_On_67-68_divider.jpg

Thanks man. Doesnt that look much better then seeing the pump and hoses etc etc?

Back