Poor head room fixes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 4V
Hey guys. I have decided to try to fix my problem with not having enough head room. A year or two ago I removed the plastic spacers under the seat back, which allowed the seat to fall back a little farther. This did help with the head room issue, but the seat has continued to go back further over time. Now it's laying way too far back. I just cut about 1 1/4 inch out of the foam in the seat bottom. I will reinstall the upholstery and plastic seat stops and see if that is enough. Next step will be to cut the plastic stops down a little or find a helmet that does not sit up so high above my head. Anyone else dealt with this issue?

A year or two ago I removed the plastic spacers under the seat back, which allowed the seat to fall back a little farther. This did help with the head room issue, but the seat has continued to go back further over time.
Yeah... I was wondering about that. I did the same thing when I put my seats back together, and now I'm thinking I'm going to wind up regretting it.

My new plan (if that starts happening to my seats) is to just suck it up ($1200!!!) and get a set of TMI Pro-Series replacement seats. My old Fox-Body seats did 'the twist' eventually - I'm not going to put up with any new seat weirdness from this one.

These at least 'resemble' the Deluxe Seats, but with all the adjustability and modern seat frame support and durability.

1971-73-pro-series-highback-mach-1-black-red-2.jpg

I think I'd probably wind up spending something close to that getting a set of late-model Fox body seats and fitting a set of TMI Sport Seat upholstery and foam onto them, and probably even more having an upholstery shop duplicate the same thing as what I have now.

I might have to talk to TMI and see if they can 'one-off' a set of Sport Seat upholstery on their Pro-Series seat frames.

When I installed my new seat platforms they were for a coupe and were higher. I cut them down and got them as low as possible and still be able to bolt the seat to them and I moved them back a couple of inches for more leg room. Seems to have helped my leg room and headroom.

When I installed my new seat platforms they were for a coupe and were higher. I cut them down and got them as low as possible and still be able to bolt the seat to them and I moved them back a couple of inches for more leg room. Seems to have helped my leg room and headroom.
I did the same thing as well. Made putting in the molded carpet a major PITA, but it settled in eventually. Leg room is great, but now I fall a few inches short of being able to casually change the channel or adjust the volume on the radio.

I know lots of people think it would be so cool to be so tall, but trust me: being 6'5" is more of a burden than anything... especially when you find a cool car you want, and later discover you simply just won't fit comfortably. :shootself:

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I got the seat back in last night. It was definitely worth thinning the seat foam. Although I may not have done it if I didn't have another old seat there to use the foam from, if I butchered this one too bad. I think anything you do still using the stock seats will get you small gains. An inch here or there. I considered dropping the seat platform lower in the car, but it looked like I would only gain about an inch.

An inch here or there. I considered dropping the seat platform lower in the car, but it looked like I would only gain about an inch.
That's could be the difference between "oohh" and "ahhh" Atleast that's what she said!!! lollerz

Sounds like you may have tried this but I got stainless bolts washers same size and seat track to floor bolts. I used a threaded bolt to replace the font of each seat track. Then i was able to "recline" the seat back with spaces on the stud between the floor and seat track. I this I used about an inch of stainless washers with really helped the driving position and headroom. Too bad our seats were never offered as recliners.

Good idea! ::thumb::

I'd thought about it (spacers under the front mounting bolts), but I didn't want to raise my legs any higher under the steering wheel (with my 6'5", comes 300lbs).

And you're right - "bummer on the 'no recline' part." I absolutely love the deluxe seats, so I had a hard time picking out what was going back into the car. I'd settled on the Sport Seat replacement upholstery by TMI because of the extra padding/support and retained the look... but that was also before they came out with their Pro Series seats.

Last year I saw a '72 vert owned by one of the Sacramento Kings... Sorry, don't remember which one.

He had his seat moved way back and it didn't look bad at all.

Just a thought

Ok guys I think I've got it pretty good now. I found some rubber covered washers at ace hardware (they are made to put on the bottom of furniture to make it not slide on the floor as easy). I replaced the plastic spacers on the lower seat cushion with the rubber coated washers.

Sorry guys, couldn't resist coming back on this one. I have the exact opposite problem, can't get the seat high enough without my legs hitting the steering wheel and the pedals are too far forward for me to keep my arms just slightly bent! When I get out, I have to move the seat all the way back as my old legs don't bend like they used to. I looked at moving the pedals, but that's a no-can-do other than.... wait for it..... putting blocks on the pedals.......not!!! These cars must have been designed by guys who were 6 feet tall and with not too much concern for the other extremes. It is what it is and I still love driving it.

Geoff.

Sorry guys, couldn't resist coming back on this one. I have the exact opposite problem, can't get the seat high enough without my legs hitting the steering wheel and the pedals are too far forward for me to keep my arms just slightly bent! When I get out, I have to move the seat all the way back as my old legs don't bend like they used to. I looked at moving the pedals, but that's a no-can-do other than.... wait for it..... putting blocks on the pedals.......not!!! These cars must have been designed by guys who were 6 feet tall and with not too much concern for the other extremes. It is what it is and I still love driving it.

Geoff.
When I reupholstered the passenger seat I added some additional foam to the seat bottom and added some to increase the side bolsters. It all fits under the stock replacement upholstery. This can get you an in inch or two of height and more comfort. Easiest solution on height would be to put washers between the seat frame and sliders. I went with a nice aftermarket smaller diameter steering wheel which gave me more room for my legs. I'm 6'2" 250#, and have to wear a helmet when I go to the drag strip.

Geoff.
When I reupholstered the passenger seat I added some additional foam to the seat bottom and added some to increase the side bolsters. It all fits under the stock replacement upholstery. This can get you an in inch or two of height and more comfort. Easiest solution on height would be to put washers between the seat frame and sliders. I went with a nice aftermarket smaller diameter steering wheel which gave me more room for my legs. I'm 6'2" 250#, and have to wear a helmet when I go to the drag strip.
I actually made 3/4" spacers for under the seat rails, but went with just the thickness of 1/2" nuts as the seat was too high for my wheel which I want to keep for authenticity. As you know, these rails raise the seat a little as it moves forward, but not enough. I might try adding the extra thickness to the two back spacers to raise the rear, but then the back of the seat might lean too far forward. Can't win!! I did re-foam my driver seat and that did help some. Sucks to be short!!

Geoff.

I am almost 100% positive that Ford had a kit for tall people for I know the early Mustangs. They might have had one for the 71-73. I am only 6' 4 1/2" and never had an issue with any of mine, 65 vert, 72, vert, 73 vert, 73 Mach, 84 GT-350 or the 85 SVO. I must be tall in a different place than you are. Mine could be legs yours body. I did run autocross in the 73 so had to wear helmet and don't remember any issue. Going with a racing seat gets rid of all the padding and adjusters for sure just not great for long rides.

David

Back