71 mach in NY .. you put it back together

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
https://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/5473239081.html

I live about an hour away so emailed him about it. Thought if I could get it for the right price Id sell my other 71 in waiting and be head with the paint done.

I emailed him and asked/told him

1. its not worth even close 65k completed

2. I think his price is a little high and

3. would he take less.

4. Did he do the work or did a real shop

He replied and said he's firm on the price and something about he doesnt have time to finish it but if he sells his corvette he will and that a shop did the work but he has a shop (weird) and value came from nada.

Looks like a nice solid car to start with and like the color but I still think a painted rolling chassis inst worth 12k

Lots of stuff not right also. Spoiler is mounted too far forward. Hood black out not right shape and also shiny. Did not get black out without hood locks either. Hood hinges painted and brackets in grill not right. If he did not replace the cowl it will need to be torn down again. Floors rot due to cowl leaks on Mach 1. As usual someone does a half A$$ job and thinks it is gold. He probably realized that these cars are a big black hole you throw money in. You cannot ever expect to get a return on your money even for a Boss or 429 car the money is just not there. You put more in than you can possibly get out.

David

I gotta agree with the assessment. Unless it's a Boss 351 car (which is obviously is not) that's never going to be a $64K car.

If everything's been done right, however, I don't know that the asking price is all THAT bad, though. Buying a fairly complete numbers-matching car in running order would be fair at about $4K less, and this one has no rust AND a brand-new paint job (albeit, the wrong TuTone on the non Ram Air hood, and "incorrect paint" because of base coat/clear coat). Those things done properly would help drive up the value, no matter what engine code is in the VIN.

I'd like it even more for $10K or less (of course)... but if everything comes with it and 'some assembly required' is all that's missing, I'd be interested. :chin:

I predict it'll be a $32K all said and done, because it's going to take another $20K to get it back together and on the road... and that's if a guy did everything himself.

Did I miss something? Is it a H or M code? It's to bad that the hood paint and rear spoiler is incorrect. He could easily have 12k in body and paint. It would make a good project for the rite price. Not 12k. 65k when done!lollerz

I didnt get to H or M code with the guy. Wanted to see if he was at all flexible on the price first and he wasn't. I noticed the spoiler and hood being incorrect but wasnt a big deal for the right price. Probably would have blocked the whole thing down and painted it medium yellow gold anyway. I was more in the 6-8k for a completely disassembled (who knows if all the parts are even included to finish it) car with a non rebuilt engine.

But he thinks he has gold so responded back to him that if he changed his mind on the price to let me know.

Medium yellow gold? Nooooooooooo. Gold Glow is the way to go!! Im just kidding....I would never tell someone what color their car should be. Im just a Gold Glow fan!!

Back