Who has a lift at home?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I have been toying with the idea of adding a 4 post lift to my garage.

Over the last year or so I have had access to a lift and shop, but it is 20 miles away with no running water. Granted there is a bigger and better air compressor and welder there, but 95% of the time I am doing projects where mine would be just fine.

Prices seem to be in the 2-4k range for various lifts, but I'd like to know what experiences you have had and how you deal with issues like an overhead garage door.

Unfortunately my garage is only 20 feet deep and I would have to park over or on the lift. the garage door when open would reduce my ability to lift the car beyond a total height of 8 feet, but when closed I believe I would have the ability to lift nearly 6 feet total

I worry that my space is just too tight.

I have a Bend-Pac 2 post asymmetric lift. I had to design the garage around the lift so that the center of three bays had a higher ceiling (12 foot clearance) than the standard 10 foot walls. In addition, I installed a roll-up door so that I could work with the door open or closed. Finally, the concrete needed to be six inches deep and a special mix to support the lift load.

Things to consider about permanent lift installations.

I have a DirectLift 4 post, and did much the same as Midlife. 6" of concrete in the floors, 10' walls, vaulted ceiling, but my doors are standard that come up at an angle, following the ceiling. Had to use 1/2 hp direct drive openers to lift them.

Steve

I have a 4 post lift with 9 foot of overhead clearance. I can't stand up and work underneath, but I have a stool that I sit on and it works well. Have to close the door to raise it up for clearance. The biggest advantage is when you are working on brakes, suspension or body work down low, I no longer have to bend over or lay on my back to work on the car.

Good info, I used 6 inches of concrete when my slab was poured and it was the reinforced stuff-(can't remember the name right now) I have a 1/2 horse motor on my opener and could possibly have the tracks changed to open it at an angle.

I'm looking more at a 4 post lift as it would not have a post where I open my car doors.

Any brand recommendations?

Any to avoid?

I went with a BendPak scissor lift. I was too late to address the issue of sufficient concrete strength etc. and I wanted something compact and moveable. This is a good little unit for day to day stuff and of course for my current restoration, will accommodate up to 6000 lbs. There is pretty good room underneath albeit not as good as a 4 post lift. Just bought this last year after spending the previous 37+ years putting jack stands, crawling under... decided that I am not getting any younger... A good purchase for me and the limitations at my current residence.

71 Vert Stripping on My New Hoist.jpg

Last edited:
I went with a BendPak scissor lift. I was too late to address the issue of sufficient concrete strength etc. and I wanted something compact and moveable. This is a good little unit for day to day stuff and of course for my current restoration, will accommodate up to 6000 lbs. There is pretty good room underneath albeit not as good as a 4 post lift. Just bought this last year after spending the previous 37+ years putting jack stands, crawling under... decided that I am not getting any younger... A good purchase for me and the limitations at my current residence.
Looks good - that would be my decision too because a solid two-post-lift would cost too much room in my garage. Which one did you buy? Any problems with it? How much was it?

Thank you,

Tim

Bend-Pac and Mohawk are the lifts we have at our Auto Hobby Shop - all 4-post drive-on style lifts. They also have portable jacks that slide back and forth on the tracks in the center, for lifting the car off the lift (which is great for taking the wheels off, brakes, etc.)

I'd thought about putting one in mine, but there's just not enough room. Like midlife said, you pretty much need to design the building around the lift... especially, if you plan on using it for more than a single vehicle. I think also in a smaller garage application, a 2-post might actually be better than a drive-on, only because you would have more flexibility with the 2-post than the drive-on, having less room to work with.

A lift at home in my standard 2-car garage is no good for me because 2 of my vehicles are taller than I am, and I can touch the ceiling standing flat-footed.

Don't be afraid to look for used lifts as well. I picked up an eagle four post list for $1100.00 that was practically new. The guy was moving and didn't want to move it. My garage was built with the lift in mind also. You can get wheel kits for the lift to move it when needed. You can move it outside.

I have 2 4 post lifts in my shop. Love them as you don't have to mount them to the floor. And they come with wheel jacks so you can move them. One person can move them very easy. Bought one used and paid 1500 and one new for 2200. My shop has 12 foot ceiling so easy to use. Great for working on cars great for storing one up one down.

Thanks

I bought one a few months ago. It is a nine ton four post that also has a jack to lift either end off of the tires if needed. Mine is from The Lift Superstore that has a distributor in nearby San Antonio. I wanted key components USA made and this they offer. The lift was $2800 with delivery and install $600. It includes three sliding/removable drain pans and a stout sliding "pan" that would easily hold a tranny. I swapped some truck tires for the jack ($700 to purchase). I am fortunate to have a large tall garage so no issues there. So far I am more than pleased.

The jack.

Here's my "4 post lift" :). Total cost about $25 from the scrap bin at Menards.
rofl Plus it's earth friendly and you don't have to worry about the hydraulics failing while your under the car. How in the heck did you get your car up on the blocks?

Here's my "4 post lift" :). Total cost about $25 from the scrap bin at Menards.
rofl Plus it's earth friendly and you don't have to worry about the hydraulics failing while your under the car. How in the heck did you get your car up on the blocks?
Laid on my back and bench pressed the car while my wife slid them under the tires.

HA.

Used floor Jack with one block of wood on it. Jacked the front up from the cross member slid them under the tires. Moved to the back and jacked up the rear from the diff housing with a block of wood and slid the blocks under the rear.

Start with the front and be sure to block the rear tires for safety.

I have a Bend-Pac 2 post asymmetric lift. I had to design the garage around the lift so that the center of three bays had a higher ceiling (12 foot clearance) than the standard 10 foot walls. In addition, I installed a roll-up door so that I could work with the door open or closed. Finally, the concrete needed to be six inches deep and a special mix to support the lift load.

Things to consider about permanent lift installations.
An update:

Just this afternoon, the hydraulic fluid reservoir broke and fell off of the motor, spilling 3+ gallons of fluid all over my garage floor. It took about 4 minutes and a trash-can full of rags to wipe everything up. This is the second one to fail: the first one about 1 year after installation; this one lasted about 14 years. I have a spare one in my storage spaces. The plastic reservoir is cheap; I wish they had a metal version.

Looks good - that would be my decision too because a solid two-post-lift would cost too much room in my garage. Which one did you buy? Any problems with it? How much was it?

Thank you,

Tim
Tim, So far so good for reliability. I like that when in the lowered position it is only about 5" high, most vehicles can drive right over. Comes with all the lift hard ware including larger adapters for pick up truck type vehicles. Easy to set up also. This is the only scissor type they sell can't remember the model # off hand. I paid $2900 Cdn. Delivered to my nearest truck depot and I picked up from there. So I would think around $2000 US $??? If you haven't got the space or concrete requirements, this is a nice alternative. I researched most of the similar units, decided to pay a few hundred more and get the best of the bunch... Glad I did.

Back