Upgrade 2bbl to 4bbl

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
I'm in sort of between a rock and a hard place.

Running a totally rebuilt 302 from Fall 2015. Maybe 500 miles since rebuild. Plus the C4 was also rebuilt.

I never bought the car for speed as I wanted a cruiser and knowing the 1973 HP that''s what I got.

When the 302 was rebuilt it was bored out the 306 and a mild cam was installed. Guess I felt a little more power.

Now a client of mine wants to replace the intake and install a 4bbl carb. Pretty much as he's telling me a cheap install as I doubt he's going to charge me beyond parts.

Of course who wouldn't want more HP, but HP is addictive and you can never have enough.

Is there anything I should be concerned about since the engine came with (as far as I can tell a 2bbl carb), beyond a little more HP and less gas mileage.

And do you think it's really worth to swap?

Plus just about how much HP or power do you think I would obtain?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, the simple answer is that if you want quicker acceletration, the best thing to do is change your rear gear ratio . the only other way around that is to install nitrous or a blower or bigger engine however this is not what many people want to hear.

will it have more power with a 4 barrel? . yes.

will it accelerate faster if you change the gears instead? . yes.

you can actually loose overall power by installing an intake that is too large.

a common upgrade is an eddy performer intake but those are little better than stock . a decent carb is a quick fuel SL600VSF.

You will most likely gain power everywhere if you recurve your distributor timing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice dual plane manifold with a reasonably sized carburetor (600 cfm) will give you a noticeable power increase, plus improved throttle response. Supposedly you can get better gas mileage by keeping your foot out of it, I never could, though.

It may be beneficial but it also may require some tuning. I would not install a used carburetor. Too many issues with them even when redone with fresh soft parts.

If your friend is unfamiliar with this procedure there can be some issues. Transmission kickdown linkage may need to be extended. New carb studs will be needed as well as some other random hardware that usually prolongs the project.

The Summit Racing 600 vs is a very good running carb. Very similar to your 2-V carb but with two more barrels. Comes with a fuel line and the Ford kickdown provision. There are a myriad of intake manifolds to choose from. I would only stay away from the cheap Chinese ones.

What do you have for an exhaust system now

Still stock single

stock manifolds with duals

headers

What do you have for an exhaust system now

Still stock single

stock manifolds with duals

headers
It came with the car but it's aftermarket duals with stock manifold.

I should have had headers installed when the engine was being rebuilt...damn me.

Now this might seem crazy, but when I spoke with the guy who owned it 2 owners before me, he let me know that he did have a 4bbl carb on the car and wondered why the guy who he sold it to, whom I bought it from changed it to a 2bbl.

Back