New Cleveland ready to go in!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
475 hp cleveland.jpg500 hp cleveland 02.jpgHere she is!! It only took 6 months and 3 engine builders to finally get it done!! I'm happy to say Tim Meyer here in Minnesota was finally able to build this engine right!! Lunati Hydraulic roller .594-.611 lift, Air Gap intake, Pro Systems Carb, forged flat top pistons, CC heads w/ stainless Milodon Mega flow valves, polished/shot-peened rods, lifter bore bushings with link bar lifters, And Tim Meyers oil mods. Heads have screw in studs and roller rockers.

That sounds like a great build. Engine looks great. Did they do break in on dyno? A couple questions. Where did you get the filter in the R.H. valve cover for PVC flow? I have the similar valve covers, Ford Motorsport, on my Cleveland and have not found anything that fits. Is the fan not out too far looks very extended from engine.

When can we hear it run?

David

A few more internal shots!!10363733_10209071916974035_8567874108036937069_n.jpg10406500_10209071917294043_6005482993549013920_n.jpg12524330_10209071917454047_4288849267802363985_n.jpg

I found the breather at a local O'Reilly's store, and the fan spacer is the stock one, I already test fit the fan before I took out the old motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks beautiful! Very similar to my build. Will be eager to see your dyno numbers if you ever do so. The only major difference between our builds is you have a roller cam and I have a solid flat tappet cam.

Wow, yes it has been a while. I remember posting on your original thread. You are very fortunate to have Tim nearby. I have recommended him to several people and we are all fortunate he is a member here. It's kind of him to take the time to check up on you and post on your thread. Bet you're anxious to finally hear it run. Please keep us posted.

Definitely looks good. Way too cool!!

My only reservation would be the Flex Fan. They can be just plain dangerous. Many have shattered and done serious damage to people let alone the car. I once worked where many were built and I've seen the damage they do if they blow up on the test rig. Thankfully very rare, but I would never put one on my car. Just NEVER stick your head over one when running!!

Sorry for the 'downer'

Geoff.

Would the original fan be better?

Thanks everybody for the kind words, and good luck to all who are still building! I will try to post vids and numbers when I get her going. This time I think I am going to chassis dyno! I think I would rather know the rear wheel numbers!!:D

What fan did you have before?

Did it run hot before?

If you use a fan but dont use a flex fan, the flex a lite 1717P is one of the best , Derale makes a similar one . Factory Lincoln and Taurus electric fans can suck small animals and children right off of the sidewalk but should be used with a fan controller . I prefer he one made by DCC.

If you want the highest dyno numbers possible use a Dynapak . The Dynojet reads lower and the Mustang dyno and the other similar one reads even lower.

Would the original fan be better?

Thanks everybody for the kind words, and good luck to all who are still building! I will try to post vids and numbers when I get her going. This time I think I am going to chassis dyno! I think I would rather know the rear wheel numbers!!:D
Flex Fan technology has come a long way over the years, but I don't and never would trust one. They do look cool and high tech, but are they as efficient as a stock fan?? Remember, when a flex fan is at high rpms, the blades flatten out and don't pull much air. Save on HP, but loses cooling. I know they are clunky looking, but there are good clutch fans available. They did have their problems too with internal temp sensor and clutch failures, but when they are working well, they work very well. Best I can suggest is do your homework and go with the best and safe option. Many go with good double electric fans these days. Downside is they look too modern if you know what I mean.

As I said, I do not intend to be negative, I just want you to be safe.

Geoff.

Omie01, I also install a water bypass block off plate to eliminate the stock system which often leaks which sometimes causes higher than normal engine temps . You can then use a standard Windsor type thermostat . I also drill 3 1/8" holes around the perimeter of the thermostat when I use this plate.

Beautiful engine, I bet you will be in the 400 horsepower range with it. I would look in to an electric fan as previously mentioned. I just hid mine in the factory shroud for the stealth look, most of the time mine isn't even running except on hot days. It is much safer with the electric fan when tinkering around with the engine running. Congrats on the new enigine.

Back