door speaker replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used these, they are a little bit more but fit my doors really well.

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/speaker_assys_radio_4_x_8-184732-0.html

Click on pic for full screen.
Can you post a pic of where the wire goes thru the door, I am installing door speakers in mine that never had them. What do you have for rear speakers?Thanks

TFA
Hi,

Here some photo's:

door speaker rubber tubing for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-MUSTANG-MACH-1-BOSS-351-Rubber-Tubing-to-protect-Wiring-/111964342830?hash=item1a11984a2e:g:mmAAAOSwAvJXCbMu

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a thread on the door speakers a couple months ago but here is the Ford install instructions with template.

The pictures are of the wire for the passenger door with speaker and the other is passenger door with speaker and power window. The two rubber blocks attach to the door one on the end next to the hinge, can see in previous post, and other to the surface that the door panel attaches to.

The boots are getting difficult to find that are not rotten. I don't have a door here that I can give you the hole sizes from. Don't just start drilling holes they need to be a certain size. I can measure tomorrow and send info if you need.

David

DSC_2259.JPG

DSC_2260.JPG

IMG.pdf

IMG_0001.pdf

IMG_0002.pdf

IMG_0003.pdf

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    578 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0001.pdf
    579.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0002.pdf
    259.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0003.pdf
    311.4 KB · Views: 31
David thanks so much for the template. Can tell already I'll need to send the pair I ordered from Crutchfield back. I think I'll get the stock upgrade from CJ Pony. Kudos man!

THis subject strikes fear in my heart everytime I see "door speakers". I wondered why my door panels bow out at the bottom a bit. So I peeked in there and saw some cob job of clear lexan home made adapters and carriage bolts and almost fainted. Thats for another day lol. And I walked away. When I get new door panels and take mine off I will post for the Laugh of the Day feature.

Does anyone have the measurements of where to drill the holes for the boots? The pics earlier in this thread give me an idea sort of. Also, by the looks of it I will need to either remove the doors to drill or find an RAD (right angle drill) to punch the holes? Is this correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have the measurements of where to drill the holes for the boots? The pics earlier in this thread give me an idea sort of. Also, by the looks of it I will need to either remove the doors to drill or find an RAD (right angle drill) to punch the holes? Is this correct. Any help would be appreciated.
Jason,

My cars are about 9 miles from here but will be out there later today and can get some pictures and measurements for the holes and placement.

You might be able to use a Greenlee type hole punch like they use for electrical panels. Expensive to buy but maybe you can find an electrician that would do them cheap. You have to have like a 3/8" pilot hole for the bolt to go through.

I just went back and looked at the install instructions for the speakers that I scanned and put in this thread earlier. They state " Drill 1 1/4" Dia. hole from existing dimple". So there should be a dimple in the sheet metal to show where the holes go. I agree with that hole size for the A post but the boot end that goes to the door is much larger. They do not say what size for the hole in the door. As usual factory instructions not correct. The boot looks like the hole in the door needs to be 2". I pulled a NOS set of the boots and wires out to make sure I had the right ones. I think there are dimples where the holes for the screws go in the door that hold the blocks with the wires.

Yes you would have to pull the door to get in there with a hole saw or drill. Or maybe pull the front fender and drill with the door shut. Your only other option would be to use a carbide burr and just grind the hole out to size. Shavings would get everywhere and they rust quickly if not vacuumed up.

Go look for the dimples that mark the positions and open and read the install instructions early in this thread.

I will still try and get some pictures and measurements later today. The boots and wires have been on eBay lately very cheap, $30.00 for two sets on one sale.

David

Jason,

My cars are about 9 miles from here but will be out there later today and can get some pictures and measurements for the holes and placement.

You might be able to use a Greenlee type hole punch like they use for electrical panels. Expensive to buy but maybe you can find an electrician that would do them cheap. You have to have like a 3/8" pilot hole for the bolt to go through.

I just went back and looked at the install instructions for the speakers that I scanned and put in this thread earlier. They state " Drill 1 1/4" Dia. hole from existing dimple". So there should be a dimple in the sheet metal to show where the holes go. I agree with that hole size for the A post but the boot end that goes to the door is much larger. They do not say what size for the hole in the door. As usual factory instructions not correct. The boot looks like the hole in the door needs to be 2". I pulled a NOS set of the boots and wires out to make sure I had the right ones. I think there are dimples where the holes for the screws go in the door that hold the blocks with the wires.

Yes you would have to pull the door to get in there with a hole saw or drill. Or maybe pull the front fender and drill with the door shut. Your only other option would be to use a carbide burr and just grind the hole out to size. Shavings would get everywhere and they rust quickly if not vacuumed up.

Go look for the dimples that mark the positions and open and read the install instructions early in this thread.

I will still try and get some pictures and measurements later today. The boots and wires have been on eBay lately very cheap, $30.00 for two sets on one sale.

David
Thanks David. I do have the direction printed out and was able to find a dimple last night on the car but not one on the door. I like the idea of using the Greenlee hole punch. And additional photos and measurements would be appreciated just so I am sure prior putting any holes in the car. I was able to get a set of boots.

Jason,

David
Thanks David. I do have the direction printed out and was able to find a dimple last night on the car but not one on the door. I like the idea of using the Greenlee hole punch. And additional photos and measurements would be appreciated just so I am sure prior putting any holes in the car. I was able to get a set of boots.
Great that you got the boots did you also get the wires?

I did not get the wires. I will be using new speaker wire.
Well dummy me. Had been working on the 5 building manufacturers quoting my garage this morning. Got it all on spread sheet and decided to take a break and go get my license plate sticker that runs out this month. It is only a mile from where the cars are stored now in a friends shop. I got there and did not have the darn door key and he was not in. So I did not get the pictures and measurements. I will be back in town tomorrow at bank so I will remember the key and do it then.

David

Ok made it out to the shop again with the key this time, 85 deg. here today. I took a couple pictures of a car with door speakers with the front fender off. Removing the front fender is much better solution than removing the door. I will also allow you clean all the leaves and stuff that gets inside there. You have to take a half dozen bolts out from grill, the ones under the hood the ones on the bottom of the fender, the fender brace and the one that goes in from the door. Not a bad job once you do it.

I put dimensions on the .xps attached. Let me know if you need more info I will try to help.

The .xps file does not show up but put in twice. Let me know if it does not work.

Ok when I looked at the post the .xps does not show up.

You can see in the picture I took measurement from the lower hinge on the door to the bottom of the hole and added 1/2 the hole. So from the top of the hinge to the center of the hole in the door is 3 5/16" (3.312").

For the A post hole from the top of the bottom hinge mounted to A post to the center of the hole is 3 1/16" (3.062). From the rear of the A post to the center of the hole is 1 11/16" (1.687"). There should be a dimple in both positions that is what the factory used when they cut the holes.

David

DSC_2280.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back