door speaker replacement

Here are some pics. The first is the RAD I used to drill holes without removing anything.

image.thumb.jpeg.42466b99131e04051206b305065397d4.jpeg

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second is the boot.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb0b454822ef428e0b31611967c40278.jpeg

• Like 1

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

This is the speaker in the door.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6b88943bb1d5a41018bcd1acf98fd1d.jpeg

- Jason

This is the speaker in the door.

Nice work! What model Alpine is that? Are they 6x9 or 4x6"?

The door speakers are Alpine 5x7. I can grab the model number off the bad later this am. It is out in the garage.

- Jason

Alpine SPS-517.

image.thumb.jpg.f3334ad5aedaeaddbe7475bcdb570878.jpg

• Like 2

- Jason

+1

Nice write-up on the install!

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm so confused :(

When I use search most responses say the door speakers should be 4x6. This one, along with a very few others, mention 5x7. So, I'm only more confused on what will fit without any modifications. Mounting depth would of course be a concern regardless.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm so confused :(

When I use search most responses say the door speakers should be 4x6.  This one, along with a very few others, mention 5x7.  So, I'm only more confused on what will fit without any modifications.  Mounting depth would of course be a concern regardless.

I have a couple pair of NOS Ford speakers. I will get you some pics and dimensions later today. They are not that large.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

The Ford parts manual (1971 & 1972 Mustangs) lists the door speakers as 4x8, the dash speaker as 5x7, and the rear deck speakers as 6x9. The 4x8 speaker part number is shown as D2ZZ-18808-C.

If you look at the speakers that CJ Pony sells you will see that they are 4x6 with an adapter plate to fill up the opening

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ken-harrison-door-speaker-pair-1969-1973/p/SPK10/

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Here are some pics of the speakers. The big thing is they are only 2" deep. Overall length right at 8 3/4" Height little under 4 3/4" and only 2" thick.DSC-1269.jpg

DSC-1270.jpg

DSC-1271.jpg

DSC-1272.jpg

DSC-1273.jpg

DSC-1274.jpg

DSC-1275.jpg

DSC-1276.jpg

DSC-1277.jpg

DSC-1278.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

The Ford parts manual (1971 & 1972 Mustangs) lists the door speakers as 4x8, the dash speaker as 5x7, and the rear deck speakers as 6x9. The 4x8 speaker part number is shown as D2ZZ-18808-C.

If you look at the speakers that CJ Pony sells you will see that they are 4x6 with an adapter plate to fill up the opening

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ken-harrison-door-speaker-pair-1969-1973/p/SPK10/

Don't buy the speakers from CJP.  I bought a set a few years ago and they sound like crap.

Meanwhile, is there any set of door speakers out there that anyone has found that fit without cutting?

1969 Acapulco Blue Convertible

408C CJ, 5 Spd

1973 Lava Red Mach 1

351C, 4V, AOD

I just installed 6x8 Kickers, which are basically a large 5x7. This fit well in regards to depth but I had to make a larger opening than factory. Well, my door had no openings so I cut just what I needed. Basically less length and more width. I don't have pictures right now, but I can post later this weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NSFDDJL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Thanks all! Great info. It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification. I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!! I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.

• Like 1

Thanks all!  Great info.  It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification.  I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!!  I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.

In one of the early posts I scanned the Factory template for the opening and the mounting holes. That should give you something to go on. You can also send old speakers out and have new cones put in. With what little time I had my car on road I blew up two sets of new Ford speakers and never had anything but the factory AM / 8 Track player. The cones would come loose. If you have an amp or something and turn it up will blow the speakers for sure.

David

If anyone finds speakers that fit in the door that fit please post it. I am still looking to replace my door speakers. A few years ago I had planed on buying them from CJs put passed when I heard they where junk.

John J

• Like 1

Thanks all! Great info. It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification. I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!! I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.

The Alpines have pretty much the same cutout dimensions as the Kickers, except that the Kickers have a bigger cone (hence better bass). The way i installed the Kickers i mounted them flush against the speaker depression which needed a bigger hole than factory. Looking at the pictures of the installed Alpines (from 73pony) you can see they are installed flush against the door sheetmetal (not on the speaker depression). That said, they will protrude out about 3/16", which in theory will interfere with the door panel. Also, there would be a gap between the flange of the speaker and the depression, which you will need to seal to not lose bass sound. Sorry, not easy to explain so i hope it makes sense.

I am not saying that one option is better than the other, but i am just trying to explain the compromises with each installation method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I got some JBL 4x6 speakers and fabricated a sheet metal surround to fit the factory drill pattern. 

Today I fabricated a Y harness to go from stereo head to door plugs at the A pillar.

20200111-125637.jpg

20200101-161929.jpg

Thanks all!  Great info.  It appears the mounting hole spacing is the primary factor and those Alpine 5x7 look to have fit without modification.  I've been searching all over for any kind of standard for mounting holes and not only not finding one, but it seems various audio and car manufacturers both just measured and named them their own way :(

Even with a known hole spacing, none of the speakers online seem to provide the spacing to verify a match either!!  I guess on a nice day I'll just pop the door panel, make a template of the holes and carry it into a Best Buy to see what may fit.

The Alpines have pretty much the same cutout dimensions as the Kickers, except that the Kickers have a bigger cone (hence better bass). The way i installed the Kickers i mounted them flush against the speaker depression which needed a bigger hole than factory. Looking at the pictures of the installed Alpines (from 73pony) you can see they are installed flush against the door sheetmetal (not on the speaker depression). That said, they will protrude out about 3/16", which in theory will interfere with the door panel. Also, there would be a gap between the flange of the speaker and the depression, which you will need to seal to not lose bass sound. Sorry, not easy to explain so i hope it makes sense.

I am not saying that one option is better than the other, but i am just trying to explain the compromises with each installation method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here is a pic of the Kickers 46CSC684 installed. The speaker is flush with the depression on the door. I had to cut a little more above the derpression to fit the speaker.

20200112-214711.jpg

• Like 1