What ram air is this one?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
On my last parts gathering trip I found a guy that had 4 ram air systems. Three were the off center ones for the 351, he had just sold the last one he wanted to sell. He has this one that he could not identify and I cannot either. He says it will not fit a 429 but it is centered like a 429 is. You can see the number stamped on the flange, 4 inside a box then 71048, see pictures.

Thanks and any info would be appreciated.

David

DSC_2254.JPG

DSC_2255.JPG

DSC_2256.JPG

I just compared that base to mine and it is definitely different, albeit there are some areas the same. The tabs where the base goes over the Rochester carb are different and would automatically make for a difficult fit. The ram air rubber flange is wider on your piece as well as then what would be used for the '71 429cj cars. Would this fit on a scj with holley carb, can't be sure about that, but I don't think so? It is probably for another Ford model with ram air.

Last edited:
I have a ram air cleaner base that I nor anyone else so far has been been able to identify. It looks very much like a unit for a 351C but the oil breather hole is on the drivers side at 3 o'clock and not on the passenger side near the hole for the charcoal canister tube. So I'm thinking it's from a 1972-73 Mercury Montego which had a ram air plenum much like the 71-73 mustangs, but I have not been able to confirm it one way or another. The only marking is a small Ford oval on the lip. Any recognize this one?

73 Mustang Ram Air Cleaner b.jpg

Would you believe that I used to own a company that made prototypes for ford and that both of those air cleaners are rejected prototypes that were stolen from us? Please return them ASAP and there won't be any trouble. ;)
Jeff, I appreciate the humor, and I'd believe it as I have read about things like that happening before. But seriously is there any truth in the prototype part of your comment, because I can't find another one like anywhere.

rackerm,

I looked in my Ford Master Parts Catalog and could not find the number. Interesting enough, according to the MPC, it references "R" as Rotunda. There is no reference for the 4 character, "F".

25jbhwz.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Company Master Parts Catalog, May, 1975

mustang7173

I examined my master parts catalogs for both Ford and Lincoln/Mercury, and the basic 9626 service parts all have either a Y or a Z for the forth letter. However, these are service parts, not the original part number. If one looks at the air cleaner itself (9600), the basic part lettering is all over the place, yet the service replacement parts all end in a Y (Mercury) or Z (Ford) as well.

I can't read the picture that well, but it looks like B2RF, which puts it as a 1952 part. If it is D2XX, then it is a 72 part.

RF translates as Ford of Europe, General Parts/Electrical and Electronics Division.

Midlife,

The Snorkel number is: D2RF-9A626. Besides a small ford oval stamped in to the lip there are no other markings. The snorkel end is straight for stapling the flex tube to it. That would make the snorkel either 72 or 73.

Thanks,

Rich

I also came up with Rotunda for the "R", with a further explanation that it is generic. For the "F" I came up with Engine Accessories.

EDIT: I did some further research, and the designations depend on whether they are engineering numbers or service numbers. The engineering designations are as shown above. However, "R" just means Rotunda for 1962 to 1969, after 1969 it means imported from Ford of Europe, and after 1976 may mean re-manufactured. The same digits, for service numbers are as Midlife pointed out, "R" (after 1969) means imported from Europe and "F" means Electrical and Electronics Division. If the "R" is referring to the vehicle line in the 3rd digit, it means Capri.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine a Capri with ram air during that time period...nope.

rackerm, I'll see if what info I have will help you with this "Mystery" part. What your looking at is the 72 Mercury Montego "N" code 429 ram air cleaner. Those cars had an open top with a rubber seal and used a plenum chamber similar to the 71-3 Mustang system. The "N" 72 Gran Torino used a top lid with a flapper door and a unique seal that sealed directly against the hood scoop when the hood was closed. The 429 models also had the emissions filter on left (drivers side) of the housing. The "Q" equipped models were similar but had a slight difference in diameter and height, and had the emissions filter on the right side of the housing. Any housing for the Gran Torino/Montego series could be considered rare. The Q equipped models suffered the same fate as the 72 Mustang and Cougars of being dropped from the option list early in the 72 model year. Performance minded people didn't consider the "N" 429 Thunderjet engine as much of a choice since it was basically an LTD engine with less horsepower than the 351 4bl. So someone ordering a N 429 with ram air was rare.

The D2RF on the snorkel/duct is defiantly a new one. As others who have tried to decipher the numbers, nothing I have seems to indicate that being a good engineering number. The engineers assign these numbers for assembly line use during the design phase and for occasional parts use when two parts are similar but have different functions/applications. Parts and Service assign the actual part numbers once engineering releases the parts for service. That's why you'll never see the actual part number on the part. Instead it will be on the box or a tag or sticker attached to the part. Most of the time the snorkels are identified with the prefix, basic, and suffix number or just the prefix and suffix. But either way they will always at least include the prefix and suffix. The suffix part of the number missing off of yours is strange, because that is how these things are identified during the assembly process. The part number for the 429 ram air snorkel is DOGY-9A626-A (engineering # DOGF-9A626-A). The normal break down for the prefix would not apply as there is no viable application of "R" (Rotunda, Ford of Europe, remanufactured parts), or "F"(General parts, electrical and electronics division) on this particular part. Either way you have a rare part that looks to be in excellent condition. I'm sure if Perogie Enterprises had that air cleaner for sale you would be shocked at their asking price! I have two illustrations that show the Montego (351C) with the plenum system and the Gran Torino (429) with the "Flapper Door". I hope this has helped some.

72MONTEGORAMAIR.jpg

21.jpg

Sorry I can't help on the whole air cleaner ID, but I can tell you that the shell was probably stamped at the Ford Sandusky stamping plant. The snorkel, vacuum motor and temp sensor were made in Chatham, Ontario at Canadian Fram. I worked there starting in 1973 making prototype air cleaners by hand. I talked to a friend who was there in the early 70's and remembers shipping inlet tubes (snorkels) unpainted to Ford Sandusky. At Fram, our major customer was Chrysler, but unfortunately I missed all the "good stuff", Hemi's, six packs etc. Just wish I'd kept a few "samples"!!!! The stuff we trashed would blow anyone's mind nowadays.

Anyway, I hope that shed a bit of light on it, if not the answer you are looking for.

Stanglover

rackerm, I'll see if what info I have will help you with this "Mystery" part. What your looking at is the 72 Mercury Montego "N" code 429 ram air cleaner. Those cars had an open top with a rubber seal and used a plenum chamber similar to the 71-3 Mustang system. The "N" 72 Gran Torino used a top lid with a flapper door and a unique seal that sealed directly against the hood scoop when the hood was closed. The 429 models also had the emissions filter on left (drivers side) of the housing. The "Q" equipped models were similar but had a slight difference in diameter and height, and had the emissions filter on the right side of the housing. Any housing for the Gran Torino/Montego series could be considered rare. The Q equipped models suffered the same fate as the 72 Mustang and Cougars of being dropped from the option list early in the 72 model year. Performance minded people didn't consider the "N" 429 Thunderjet engine as much of a choice since it was basically an LTD engine with less horsepower than the 351 4bl. So someone ordering a N 429 with ram air was rare.

The D2RF on the snorkel/duct is defiantly a new one. As others who have tried to decipher the numbers, nothing I have seems to indicate that being a good engineering number. The engineers assign these numbers for assembly line use during the design phase and for occasional parts use when two parts are similar but have different functions/applications. Parts and Service assign the actual part numbers once engineering releases the parts for service. That's why you'll never see the actual part number on the part. Instead it will be on the box or a tag or sticker attached to the part. Most of the time the snorkels are identified with the prefix, basic, and suffix number or just the prefix and suffix. But either way they will always at least include the prefix and suffix. The suffix part of the number missing off of yours is strange, because that is how these things are identified during the assembly process. The part number for the 429 ram air snorkel is DOGY-9A626-A (engineering # DOGF-9A626-A). The normal break down for the prefix would not apply as there is no viable application of "R" (Rotunda, Ford of Europe, remanufactured parts), or "F"(General parts, electrical and electronics division) on this particular part. Either way you have a rare part that looks to be in excellent condition. I'm sure if Perogie Enterprises had that air cleaner for sale you would be shocked at their asking price! I have two illustrations that show the Montego (351C) with the plenum system and the Gran Torino (429) with the "Flapper Door". I hope this has helped some.
secluff,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and for solving the mystery. If I understand correctly this air cleaner is for the 72-73 429 Montego/Torino and not the 351C engine since it has the emissions port on the left (driver) side and the dimensions between them were slightly different.

Question, was this air cleaner base interchangeable between the 429 Montego/Cyclone and Grand Torino? By adding the Torino hood seal and flapper lid this base would then fit the 429 Torino?

Thanks again,

Rich

Rich, yes and no! Since it's a 72 issue, both cars (351 or 429) would be running 4300 series Ford carburetors, so there would not be any Rochester fitment problems with the base. Because the hood scoop was part of the hood stamping on the 72 Gran Torino Sport and not a add on or one requiring a plenum chamber (such as 71-3 Mustang's or the Montego GT) the upper part is different. The flapper door or upper part of the air cleaner has a unique shape to hold the seal so it would match the shape of the underside of the scoop area. The base has three threaded studs that go through the upper part and are fastened by 1/4" nuts so it would be held in place. Without the studs, the flapper door part would just a loose part on top of the engine. The Montego air cleaner would fit the Torino as is, you would basically just have an open air cleaner such as on the High Performance 271/289. There would be no "Channeled" air.

Trying to use one on 351 would present the same problems as trying to interchange the 351/429 Mustang ram air cleaners with the carburetor mount hole offset difference. The 351 is 21.62" diameter and 8.96" high. 429 is 20.92" and 7.56" high. Plus you would have the issue of the emissions filter location on the driver side. You may be a parts "Hoarder" (such as I am) and may want to hang on that one. If not I would sure let some folks know on the Torino/Montego/Cyclone forums. They know better than anyone how rare ANY of the 72 Ram Air cleaner housings are.

Illustration is from 65-72 Ford Master Parts Catalog (Final issue May 75)

002.jpg

Anybody know if the ram air snorkels had a part or casting number stamped on them as did other snorkels? I can't find it documented anywhere. If they did does anybody have the number for a 351C ram air snorkel? 

Thanks,

Rich

Back