Special Order Black 73 Vert Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Ok, some of you know I purchased a 1973 vert last year that was special order paint car with black which was not an option. When you get a Marti on one of the special order cars he cannot tell you what was in the order. He said all records kept by the DSO were destroyed. I found the build sheet and it gives instructions to "Install Argent Front Bumper". Everyone thinks this is crazy but this car backs up the info.

Well this morning while looking on eBay another one is there and it has original paint. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Convertible-/231876635071?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35fceca9bf:g:dt4AAOSwAuNW5aW7&item=231876635071

I figured that since the rubber bumper came in painted that Ford picked Argent for any special paint cars to prevent having to mix special colors with the additives for flex in the paint. If you look at the car even the rubber filler pieces in the rear in front of the bumper are also argent.

I have asked if he has looked for the build sheet and I hope he will if he has not. The car is really rusty and looks like the bids are just people known to just play on eBay. Not worth the current price but it is a Q code also.

At least I found a little more proof that they built them this way, odd but they did.

David

Argent1.jpg

Argent2.jpg

Argent3.jpg

Argent4.jpg

Argent5.jpg

Argent6.jpg

Marti_Argent.jpg

That was not one Ford's better ideas. Undoubtedly there had to be an extra charge for special paint, you would think it would be to cover the cost of matching the front bumper 'color-keyed' paint.

+1 on the painted bumper. I would have been not happy if I pick the car up from the dealer and that's they way it came from the factory. I do like black verts but I would want the bumper painted the same color.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
That was not one Ford's better ideas. Undoubtedly there had to be an extra charge for special paint, you would think it would be to cover the cost of matching the front bumper 'color-keyed' paint.
There was a charge of $99.95 on the window sticker on my car a little more that some in the $80.00 range. My car also had side stripes and something on the hood maybe argent inserts.

The charge was to cover the transport of the car from the Mustang body assembly line to Ford's Custom line where special paint jobs for like something to match a companies colors would be done. It was painted and then shipped back for final assembly.

The cost for Ford to have special paint mixed for all possible colors for the rubber would he huge so it did not happen.

David

I talked with the current owner that is selling on eBay and it did reach his min. bid of $6,000. Way too rusty for me. He bought the car from the original owner that ordered it new. He did not have the build sheet but was going to pass my name and info on the the new owner.

David
Very interesting history, but I agree, there is some hidden work in this baby...

David - Is the car pictured in your post your car or the one that was on ebay?

Interesting story. Glad you have some documentation for your car.

Mirrors on the one pictured are ... Well just not my preference. Otherwise that car looks pretty good. Can you post pics of the rust you mentioned? THX.

Ray

David - Is the car pictured in your post your car or the one that was on ebay?

Interesting story. Glad you have some documentation for your car.

Mirrors on the one pictured are ... Well just not my preference. Otherwise that car looks pretty good. Can you post pics of the rust you mentioned? THX.

Ray
Ray,

It is the one on eBay. It had only been painted on the quarters where rust was worked on. The remainder of the car is original paint.

It did sell for $6,000.

My car was repainted so only the ends of the doors not painted.

David

Back