Battery hold down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Hey guys, got a question about the battery hold down bracket. What does the little angle bracket bolt to? I know it goes on the top of the hold down, then it supposed to bolt to the inner fender/wheel well, but all I have there is a square carriage bolt hole. Is there something that should be attached in that hole or is there another special nut that attaches it? Thank's

004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it had a press nut installed in the inner fender. Is you inner original or a repo?

I had a picture from the outside and yes there is a press nut in the hole you can see it. By the way all that yellow is factory this car was not painted. The guy on the right side went crazy with paint on the inner. No paint on suspension pieces, bolts, or lines. I took the fenders off to pressure wash and clean the splash guards.

David

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00122.JPG

Ok thank's David, I figured there was a nut pressed or tacked in place. The inner is a repo. The stupid repo 90* bracket was 18 bucks (what a rip!) so I'm gonna make something work. Just trying to put stuff back to looking original.

Ok thank's David, I figured there was a nut pressed or tacked in place. The inner is a repo. The stupid repo 90* bracket was 18 bucks (what a rip!) so I'm gonna make something work. Just trying to put stuff back to looking original.
Those nuts are used in the radiator support also for the grill brackets. If you have a parts car you might pop one out and put in the inner. I should have kept some of them from working with Ford but didn't.

I had one of the stupid cage nuts that holds the upper dash brake pedal brace come loose yesterday during assembly. It took me hours to get it to hold and tighten. It is in a blind area no way to put a nut on other than tac weld from face.

David

Not to change the subject but David your saying the inner fender should be painted the same color as the rest of the car? Interesting good to know. My car had be rustproofed at the dealership and in my process of cleaning the car for paint I found a satin black underneath all the goo. Not that it matters but you have me thinking. Thanks for posting the pics.

My 73 vert was also satin black under the front fenders. It still had the white and yellow factory crayon markings on the lower rails.

The bracket is a little pricey but they are made in the USA

Don, can you tell me what to use for the pressed nut or do you sell those? Thank's, John

the repop panels are always missing hardware and the re-enforcement plates.

on my car i put a bolt through the apron and used a nut to hold the bracket.

Don, can you tell me what to use for the pressed nut or do you sell those? Thank's, John
John, it is a square weld in nut

I might have one in a parts car I can pop out and mail you

Not to change the subject but David your saying the inner fender should be painted the same color as the rest of the car? Interesting good to know. My car had be rustproofed at the dealership and in my process of cleaning the car for paint I found a satin black underneath all the goo. Not that it matters but you have me thinking. Thanks for posting the pics.

the cars were painted first (car color) with the doors and truck lid on the car, fenders and hood were painted off the car, then they painted the front 1/2 Satin black, then the hood and fenders were installed.

John, it is a square weld in nut

I might have one in a parts car I can pop out and mail you
Thank you Don, but I found something that works. I don't want to weld one in so I just did what 72hcode did. Thank's again!

the repop panels are always missing hardware and the re-enforcement plates.

on my car i put a bolt through the apron and used a nut to hold the bracket.

That's exactly what I just did, Thank's

Last edited by a moderator:
Like all the stuff on the assembly line things are different car to car. For some reason the guy on the right hand side layed down a good coat of color on the inner fender the left hand side just had light amount of color. They sprayed the black under the hood first then the color. You can see in the pictures that none of the suspension, brake lines, bolts or bumper parts have color on them. This is an original paint car not repainted except for tops of fenders and hood.

You should be able to see what is under the undercoat when you wash it off. Kerosene usually takes it off after scraping. I have never understood why MCA says that undercoat was not factory. It was done while Ford owned the vehicle and you were charged by Ford for it. It shows up on my original order form but not on window sticker since it was the dealer responsibility to apply it.

Depends on the mix of colors in the primer what color your wheel wells are but they for sure are not as neat as most I see. These guys were smoking pot and spraying paint 8 hours a day, lol. There is no one right way for sure.

David

Back