302 build for wifes car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Hello everyone, here are a couple pics of a mild 302 that I built for my wifes stang. I don't want to go to overboard on the power. I estimate it should make 280 - 300 fwhp. The specs are a stock 69 351w camshaft, flat top pistons with valve reliefs making around 9.7 to 1 compression, RPM intake, eddie carb, canton racing 4 hole carb spacer, GT40P heads, ARP head and intake bolts, flowtech longtube headers, Accel 526s shorty sparkplugs for header clearance, Accel wires, pacesetter X pipe into 40 series flowmasters backed by 373's and a traction lok differential. The air cleaner is for mock up purposes and will have a dual snorkel fresh air intake on it. I am going with an AOD transmission with lokar linkages and cables. I hope this will suit her power needs. More to come soon oh and sorry it is not a 71-73 but we love our fox bodies too.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/mmanns69/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscqswafuh.jpeg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/mmanns69/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7wzi2mja.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good plan. Looks good and am glad to hear you are not using that air cleaner. Those tend to catch fire if an engine backfires then every bit of it gets sucked into the carb and the engine- yuck!

What are you doing for rocker arms? You'll possibly need taller valve covers if you go with roller rockers. I like the older more traditional looking ones myself.

Thanks, I may eventually put some Scorpion pesdistal mount roller rockers which would definately require the use of taller valve covers or standard with custom baffles for clearance but for now I am going to use the valve covers that came with the GT40P's as this is a semi budget build. This engine is going in real light 87 mustang LX and should motivate it pretty well.

No problem here at all, I am building this 87 up to be a daily driver for her, the 2005 explorer she has is to boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back