How do you get pictures to look like this??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
If you have iPhoto (Apple), there's a filter called "chrome" that does that. There's probably something similar in most smart phones.

I don't know why they would do that. I'm not really sure if it's real or not (just kidding). Not really sure what the red body color looks like. Crappy add if you ask me, but if the car is like the description then it should be a nice car.

Part of it is the resolution the picture is taken at. And then you use a sharpen filter in the photo program you are using. I use a free download program called GIMP that does all kinds of stuff to photos, including making them look like your example:

http://www.gimp.org/

If you'd take your meds like you're supposed to, the car won't look as good. Just saying...

Also, start with LOTS of photos. Take different angles and vary the angle slightly as you go.

My avatar is one of about 50 pics I took from the front. I liked the way it turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool pictures, but when i look for a car i want to see unedited pictures with no funny business

If you'd take your meds like you're supposed to, the car won't look as good. Just saying...
Midlife, I believe David's meds or either becoming weaker or he is having withdrawal pains from buying too many parts and not enough actual cars. That "Doctored" image and the "Re-sell Red" was just enough to make him feel just a little "Tug" on the line! David I'm sure glad your such a good sport about all this!! :D

Open Photoshop and sharpen and de-saturate the image and darken the mid tones. The photo was also taken with a nice camera (like a Canon 5D) from a distance with propably an 80mm lense, F stop 6.

Agree. The settings used on the camera (or photo shop program) hide a lot of stuff. I want real unedited pics if I'm going to buy a car online. My wife has an expensive camera that I could take pics like this but I wouldn't use them to sell a car.

The pics make the car look much better than it actually is in real life with the naked eye. Plus its just not natural as someone pointed on on the color of the car in a couple pics.

I'm with Mach1000. The pics in the ad 1) where taken by someone with a working background in photography with nice equipment and 2) cleaned up / edited with software.

If nothing else, the pics get your initial attention which is the whole point. Next step would be to actually look at the car if you were serious (and smart) about buying.

Chrome filter was used, for sure - it's especially obvious in the interior and under-hood pics. The same filter technique is also in Paint Shop Pro X, which is what I use mostly to clean up pics.

The actual image quality has a dramatic impact on how it turns out - if you use a low-res camera (like I do), you can get 'OK results using the filters, sharpeners, et al, to clean it all up... but the pic will still look inferior compared to a high-res camera image with or without the filters applied.

I know for a fact that my trusty ol' 3.2Mp HP camera has been awesome for point-n-shoot quick pics... but now I'm getting to where I would like something with a higher resolution to have better images to work with... especially now that my car's almost done.

Back