1973 Mustang trunk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blorpcandy

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hey all -

So I just bought a trunk mat for my fastback, which looks like this

6f2391e59fd84f2ba1027239b5ad208f.jpg

Notice the square hole on the right for the spare tire hook.

My trunk, however, looks like this

e2ad4865fd03bcd2ae1acb1c9c548464.jpg

With the spare tire hook up at the front. Most things don't line up, besides the filler tube and rear bumper supports.

Is this the wrong mat, for a coupe possibly, or is my trunk just wrong?

Thanks for the help!

~Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 71-73 cars did not come with mats, just spatter paint. They are strictly an aftermarket accessory item. The plaid pattern was on the early mustangs. I have seen mats for our cars that look like spatter paint.

The hole that is in the one you have looks like for the space saver spare location, could be wrong year also.

David

looks like it would work with the fold down seat in my car if I didn't have a trunk mounted battery now.

I never cared for the mats myself- I had one in a coupe about 30 years ago and it really isn't very useful.

You could make a pattern of it on a sheet of cardboard, making the necessary corrections and go buy a sheet of vinyl and make your own for probably 10 bucks

Don't tell me I know that's Scott Drake. He thinks all FB had fold downs and inflatable spares tires. I got 2 of them thinking I screwed up and ordered the one the first time, so a year later I did it again. I guess I should ask for a coupe next time. Only kidding there will belollerz no 3rd time.

Don't tell me I know that's Scott Drake. He thinks all FB had fold downs and inflatable spares tires. I got 2 of them thinking I screwed up and ordered the one the first time, so a year later I did it again. I guess I should ask for a coupe next time. Only kidding there will belollerz no 3rd time.
I have been trying to explain that to them for TEN years

They don't care.

I also tried to tell them there was no cardboard extension on the drivers side like the 65-68

Again they don't care

I sell the coupe/ convertible one to everybody, unless the person has the inflatable spare.

I have been trying to explain that to them for TEN years

They don't care.

I also tried to tell them there was no cardboard extension on the drivers side like the 65-68

Again they don't care

I sell the coupe/ convertible one to everybody, unless the person has the inflatable spare.
What Don,

Scott Drake not caring?? That can't be possibly true!rofl

Greg.:)

Why should they care when most of the buyers are unknowing, not a clue of what is correct buyers.

I put towels in my original Mach 1 to prevent scraping the spatter paint when anything was in there. Not more that a small suit case. It was a date car and the essentials fit in the console, lol.

David

Hi Tyler,

For my Mach 1, i went to a local auto trimmer and got a black carpet mat custom made up for me to fit the trunk perfectly. It looks great and is very serviceable. The cost was only about $250.00 Aus as well. I'm very happy with the end result.::thumb::

Those plastic table cloth type truck mats like the one in your pic are very thin and flimsy and don't do a very good job in my humble opinion.

Greg.:)

Why should they care when most of the buyers are unknowing, not a clue of what is correct buyers.

I put towels in my original Mach 1 to prevent scraping the spatter paint when anything was in there. Not more that a small suit case. It was a date car and the essentials fit in the console, lol.

David
David, you pretty well nailed it. Most of the folks out there buying all those "Bling Queens" for 40K and above and a lot of this JUNK being touted as original style OEM parts are going to the unknowing buyer. Safe to say that the majority of the members here are knowledgeable, wrench turning enthusiasts who have been around these cars since day 1. If new to the hobby they know this is the "Go To" place to get that info they need.

The attitude of the reproduction astounds me. When someone in the business such as Don (OMS) tries to tell them of an incorrect part, (and there is plenty of poorly built, designed, manufactured JUNK A$$ CRAP) their response is to keep on pocketing your money!

I'll go ahead and stick my neck out and say that the only 71-73 Mustang Ford intended to have a trunk mat was the 65F (Grande).

I guess the confusion over the mats comes from the 65-70 all body styles having them. So there were probably a lot of dealer and owner installed mats to replace the "Missing" ones.

I had toyed with placing one in my trunk, but with taillight leaks I could never stop, I decided not to do anything else that would hold moisture and grow more rust! And with my 428 buddy using my Mach1 for date nights, it saw less drag race use and no need for a trunk full of tools. As David said, "Essentials" were now in the console! :whistling:

Back