• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ford Radio Repairs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper62j

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q-Code Mach 1. Full restoration in progress.
I've got an oem 73 Mustang AM/FM Stereo radio that needs repairs.. Does anyone know who does this now? Seems these shops have gone away here in Fla.. I'd like to keep the car as original as possible.. It's non-working.

Thanks in advance..

I'm going to check on line and see what I can find and get back to you. I have one that I want repaired as well.

Ok I did a search on-line and found many places that do classic car radio restoration. It's not going to be cheap but if you really have your heart set on it do what I did and look through all the different shops. My AM/FM 8 track is going to be close to 500.00. To rich for my blood at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would search around on E-bay, you can get a working AM-FM for $50-$200 depending on who is bidding at the moment.

What's wrong with your Radio? I might be able to help.

As we all get old things don't work as they once did, and the same with old radios. Inside components start to deteriorate. My 40 year old factory am/fm sound quality got so bad and distorted that I just didn't turn it on anymore, so the only thing left to do for entertainment was talk and sing to myself.

As we all get old things don't work as they once did, and the same with old radios. Inside components start to deteriorate. My 40 year old factory am/fm sound quality got so bad and distorted that I just didn't turn it on anymore, so the only thing left to do for entertainment was talk and sing to myself.
How's your singing voice? lollerz

That is crazy for them to say $500 and not even look at the radio. It could just be a transistor or some $1.00 part. I would ask around more. I have all the test equipment but do not know how to use it, lol.

They are right about buying one off eBay I did last year got a working AM/8 track and a non working AM/8track for $90.00.

David

most of the guys charge $500 all they do is remove all of the original parts, and install Aurora Design components which is AM/FM/USA/AUX/Bluetooth 45x4 watt amp upgrade that used the existing knobs and dials.

they don't fix anything anymore, Like David said, its most likely a $1.00 transistor, or a 50 cent Cap, but @ $40 hr labor rate, and shipping, warrentes and etc, its easier for them to just upgrade the components give you 1 yr guarantee (because its all new guts).

that's why I started doing my own repairs.

This one doesn't do anything with sound or stations.. Only the two lights come on when you turn the knob... I will go the EBay route.. Back in the day, I could get car radios repaired at local shops, but those days, along with the shops, are long gone..

Thanks for the quick replies everyone..

I've got an oem 73 Mustang AM/FM Stereo radio that needs repairs.. Does anyone know who does this now? Seems these shops have gone away here in Fla.. I'd like to keep the car as original as possible.. It's non-working.

Thanks in advance..
This guy was located next to my spaces at Carlisle All Ford who does radio conversions. Contact him to see if he will just repair yours here;

http://www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com/

Honest, qualified and a good person to know...

Also another friend "Matt" on www.vintagemustang.com did Mustang radio repairs too...

[email protected]

Tell'em Pat sent you...

This guy is in Fl. He has done more than a few radios for me. Last ones he did were this past winter. Name is Joe Scott Electronics. Email is [email protected].

Thank you.. Great info...

th

Thanks in advance..
This guy was located next to my spaces at Carlisle All Ford who does radio conversions. Contact him to see if he will just repair yours here;

http://www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com/

Honest, qualified and a good person to know...

Also another friend "Matt" on www.vintagemustang.com did Mustang radio repairs too...

[email protected]

Tell'em Pat sent you...

Back